Sign in to follow this  
babelbel

The Time Traveler's Wife - ..and finally (poll)

Did you like it or loathe it?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like it or loathe it?

• :) Liked it
    • :( Loathed it
    • :confused: Sitting on fence

I know that there are still people out there reading this but I thought it might be good to round up the general impression the group had of this book.

So here is the poll to gauge whether it gets the :) or the :( or even the :confused:

Maybe not enough categories is the reason for not many votes? It was an OK book, and original, but not a total love fest. I think the 'novelty' (at least to non- SciFi or Fantasy readers) could have been the reason for its big hype and bestseller status. It seemed to be unable to make up its mind between SF, Fantasy and Romance. But enjoyable, in its own way. ;)

Maybe not enough categories is the reason for not many votes?

I did think about putting other categories in but I didn't want to sound too much like a market researcher. I'll do that next month.

I also should have let this poll run a bit longer so apologies to anyone who would have liked to vote but didn't quite make it.

The group is just beginning to develop and its difficult to get a feel for what people want. I feel that if we were all sitting round a room we could have a discussion on the nature of the group. At the moment its as if I'm posting things blindly. Hopefully as the months go on it will develop a bit more.

I finished this last and thought the time travelling structure was well constructed and provided a great hook and I raced through the book. And there the praise ends ...

This was just another daft romance. Boy meets girl, they marry, have trouble conceiving, boy dies, girl sees him in her eighties when she's presumably kicking the bucket too. Nothing exciting in that plot at all. The author completely wimped out of using the time travel idea as an intrinsic part of the story because Henry couldn't change anything he found out about in the future.

The other characters in the book were pretty pointless and seriously under-developed. Even the main characters had traits that came and went; the bad violent Henry just vanished.

On a minor note; I don't mind bad language in a book at all (most books I read have much more than this one) but this book was just so nicey-nicey that the bad language used seem really jarring and inappropriate.

So it would seem that The Time Traveller's Wife is a beach read with a gimicky narrative device and I was expecting a bit more.

Rebecca

Ps I don't seem to be able to vote but I would have voted to sit on the fence. It's not bad at what it is (a beach read), it's just been mis-sold.

I would have voted that I liked the book... I was somewhat put off by the concept of time-travelling, but after deciding to give it a go, I actually really enjoyed the book. There were things about it I didn't like, particularly the unnecessary (I feel) use of expletives from the two main characters, which I felt were not words that Claire especially would have used. However, I loved the story, and thought the switching narrative thing worked really well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Adrian
      This is for people who have read just the first few chapters. If you haven't yet, reading the following will be a spoiler.

I watched the R&J review and have bought the book. So far I'm maybe a dozen pages into it.

I'm not loving the double first-person narrative. It reminds me of Kevin Sampson's Outlaws, where the same story is told from multiple viewpoints. I find it just detracts from the story, and makes the book feel a bit gimmicky. Maybe it'll grow on me as I read more, and it certainly won't stop me reading it.

Secondly, I'm not yet buying into this "Chrono-Displacement Disorder" plot device. It's too Sci-Fi for my liking, and just too "handy" for the author: "I need to have the guy time travel, so here's how I've made it happen." I'm hoping it's resolved later on. If it's a premise I have to swallow just so the book could be written I'll be disappointed.

As you might have guessed, I'm not wholly convinced just yet.

What's your first impressions of the book?
    • By Adrian
      I'm about halfway through (he's spending Christmas with her family and has just found out her Mum's a manic depressive - and after reading this book, love, so am I), and unless I get I get some positive feedback here, I'm giving up.

I posted my first impressions earlier, and I'm afraid it's getting worse.

Firstly it didn't grab me from the start and I read other books inbetween - always a bad sign. Still, I vowed to stick with it, and once I got past the awkward narrative structure it improved. The enforced double-narrative seemed a little contrived, and I felt whenever the authour switched voices in mid-scene Niffenegger was really forcing the change of voice to make it obvious it was now the other person narrating. Seemed a bit like Kevin Samson writing in Outlaws, where each narrator gets his own unique voice.

Secondly, the basic premise of the novel, time travel, is mishandled and cack-handedly written. Two versions of himself in the same time frame? (Believe me ladies, if we could do that to ourselves the human race would be extinct). Some evolutionary mishap in the human genome being allowed to rewrite the laws of physics? Those I could live with, but TTW is just an affront to basic common sense. I keep asking myself questions instead of losing myself in the book. Why just appear now? Why just disappear now? More important is the where? How does he go to a particular place as well a particular time?

Also, the nastiness of the bloke: "I can't help myself so I can do whatever I like." Beat people up? Sure! Rob and steal? Why not! Buy stocks cheap? Who wouldn't! Run naked through the neighbourhood? Well, I tried this, and the police would just not believe my story!

Most importantly, I don't care about the love story. So he loves her and they love each other, and so forth. I find both of them so insufferable that I don't care about their relationship(s).

I'm half-heartedly interested in the secondary goings on. I like Kimy, and I like Clare's room-mate, but can't stand the room-mate's boyfriend.

My current thinking is, "This is not a book to tossed away lightly. It is to hurled with great force."

I'd like either an incentive to finish it (bearing in mind I have a long list of others waiting on my TBR pile) or, preferably, a precis of the ending. I'm guessing she dies of some disease he can't prevent, and he knows it (of course he knows it, he just can't get involved in any ethical situation that would ruin the house-of-cards plot), but doesn't tell her.

God, I hate them both. Hey Audrey, try going back in time before Stephen Fry wrote Making History.