Sign in to follow this  
bobblington

Reasons for not finishing certain books

I don't know about anyone else but at least 5 of the reasons on this page are my reasons for not reading, or completing a book.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/books/difficult-hardest-reads-obscure-staff/remaining-unread.shtml

The worst one for me remains no. 8 or though in my case I often don't want to read another book by the author for being disappointed with their next book. Occassionally I dip my toe again and I find myself disappointed (Ann Patchett is also my example)

I have fallen for :

number 3 : Everyone I know is recommending it. Refused to read the Da Vinci Code for just that reason, had it recommended (it was handed to me!) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Pah!

number 5 : It's a classic. My mother bored me to bits with this one, and as a result I've read comparatively few. Those that I have read I've loved, so she was right (curses).

number 6 : My reading stacks get wildly out of control. Sad but true and does it stop me from buying the latest must have so that can concentrate on getting the stacks under control? Nope.

Good topic, Bobblington

For ease:

1. It's a book I feel like I should read.

2. It's part of a series, and I haven't read the earlier ones, yet.

3. Everyone I know is recommending it.

4. It's intimidatingly enormous.

5. It's a classic.

6. My reading stacks get wildly out of control.

7. The siren call of the bargain bin.

8. The author wrote something else we like.

9. It's a textbook or an assignment

10. We have a friend/crush who works at the bookshop, or in my case…

This is a weird list. It seems to me to be, rather than a list of reasons why you don't complete a book, a hybrid list of reasons for buying books you normally wouldn't, or reason you put off reading them. Not really why you don't complete them.

But, for me, 3 and 8 are reasons why I buy books that I might not normally buy.

Most of us have TBR piles that are out of control, but is that really a problem? One that we'd bleat about? Nah...

I think I'm guilty of 4 which can affect my reading of books that have been added to the TBR for reason's of 1 and 5 especially!

I'm also guilty of 7 - I enter competitions to win books, I go to conferences and get excited about taking home free books, because I can... and none of them I ever read.

No 7 is my downfall - bargain bins for me are charity stores. I have been out regularly to trawl the local charity shops for books, and often come back with 15 or more at a time. And usually they are books that I would have had no intention of reading if I needed to pay full price for them!

The article seems to be about books that always get shuffled to the bottom of the TBR pile.

I no longer keep a TBR pile, but there are books that I pass over when I search my bookshelves for the next read. Some are from groups 1-5, and some from group 8.

(1) There are a few books that I have bought because I felt I 'ought' to read them, but without a deadline I'm unlikely to get round to them.

(2) I have a couple of odd books from the middles of series which are waiting for me to pick up the earlier volumes if I come across them . They might be permanently unread, as I'm not actively looking for the missing ones.

(3) I don't have many 'everybody I know is recommending' books, but there are a couple that I have bought because I recognised the title from an active BGO thread, and then discovered afterwards that the thread hadn't actually made them sound very appealing.:o

(4) Most of my passed-over books, are in the 'intimidatingly enormous' group . I have been complaining about the size/weight of many modern books for some time now, so that will be no surprise to long-standing members. It is a matter of regret, as there are several I would love to read, but just can't manage the weight or bulk of them.

(5) The classics I have which remain unread do so because they are old editions with tiny print . Unfortunately, if I buy new editions with modern, larger print they will then fall into the 'intimidatingly enormous' category.

(8) There are also quite a few books that I am scared to start in case they don't live up to the standard set by a previous book I've enjoyed by the same author - although I find that time helps there. After a while the glow from the first book wears off, and I can tackle another and not make odious comparisons.

But really, the reason that books remain on my shelves gathering dust and not being read is none of the ones mentioned. It is because I just don't read as much, or as fast as I used to, and my book acquisition rate outstrips my rate of consumption.

Quite often I feel I should read books which are linked to films and TV, just because everyone else is reading them. It's nice when books get so much attention, but for me they are not usually the kind of books I like, so often they remain unread. I'm currently contemplating the Twilight series, but I'm not sure if I can stand the teenage highschool stuff.

Does this list only include books that you haven't even opened? Because I haven't read books for some of those reasons, but sometimes I have started a book that has been recommended or I've bought a book that has won an award or got some very good reviews.

Most of the time I finish them, but sometimes I stop reading after the first ten chapters as I lose interest in the story. So I think not liking the book should be in that list also. Unless of course he means books that haven't even been opened.

I have books too that are on my shelves and I keep meaning to read. Moby Dick being one of them, I saw that was on the list at the bottom of that article. One of my friends raves about it saying it's one of the best books she's read, so I might give it a go next.

I'm guilty of numbers 6,7 and 1. At the moment, I'm reading 'Captain Corelli's Mondolin', which I bought for a euro at the local car boot type thing. As I had enjoyed the film, I thought I would give it a try. However, I'm not enjoying it so far, but I hate leaving a book unread!

I'm guilty of numbers 6,7 and 1. At the moment, I'm reading 'Captain Corelli's Mondolin', which I bought for a euro at the local car boot type thing. As I had enjoyed the film, I thought I would give it a try. However, I'm not enjoying it so far, but I hate leaving a book unread!
[Off Topic]We've a discussion on that book somewhere (sorry in a hurry, so no time to find it for you!), but I think there was some feeling that you need to get past the first 100 pages or so at which point it gets better! Persevere to there perhaps?[/Off Topic]

[Off Topic]We've a discussion on that book somewhere (sorry in a hurry, so no time to find it for you!), but I think there was some feeling that you need to get past the first 100 pages or so at which point it gets better! Persevere to there perhaps?[/Off Topic]

Ok I will try and persevere, if it only means filling time before the first gets chosen for the book group! The story just seems very disjointed and frustrating, but i'll keep going.