Sign in to follow this  
LondonVasco

best second hand bookshops

Hi everyone,

I live in London, and love the second hand bookstors that I have come across in my travels (especially around Charing Cross, but also generally in travels around this fantastic city).

I love secondhand book stores far better than new retail bookstores (especially the big chain stores). So, I thought that it would be great to get your opinion on which secondhand bookstores you think are best, not just in London but all over the world (I love traveling and who knows, one day I might get to visit some of them).

I won't start this thread by putting one down myself (I don't want you to think that the purpose of this thread is promotional)....but any suggetsions would be appreciated...

LV

I've not come across any good shops for second hand books near me. The best shop I've been in for second hand books is the Help the Aged shop in Holmfirth, Yorks.

I like the Children's society shops but Oxfam and Break are very expensive for books. Animal charity books are very good and you get some great quality books too

My favourite charity bookshop changed hand earlier this year. It was a book/music shop for the deaf/blind charity Sense, but now raises funds for the St Clare hospice.

It has retained the previous manager, and as far as I can see, the same pricing policy (about half the prices of Oxfam bookshops).

It has added gifts to its range (or maybe that was just for Christmas), but unfortunately no longer has the contract for the coffee maker - although I have been assured that coffe will be available again in the new year.

I will 'review' it again when I have made a few more visits ;)

My favourite is the Cancer Research shop in Irvine - as a result of which I don't get there very often - 75p each or 2 for £1, or individually priced (£2). That's why the TBR is now unmanageable and most of it will be redonated so that it can be resold, which cheers me no end (in the event that I get round to reading it!)

I always like the Oxfam book shop in Lincoln. I also look for books in any charity shop I pass and have found some gems, even in shops with only half a shelf of books. I am long overdue another visit to Hay on Wye... Also, we once went to Wigtown in Scotland which is a smaller, less established Book Town. I think it was Wigtown, it was a few years ago now...

Hi again everyone,

Yes Hilary - Hay on Wye - I have heard incredible things about this town and it is very high up on my list of must do things in the UK. A whole town dedicated to books (and a few pubs of course!)...Just imagine!

LV