Sign in to follow this  
Apple

Dear Santa...

Has anyone got their eye on any special books this christmas and dropped hints which resemble sledgehammers to loved ones or thinking of treating yourself to?

I have had numerous books in the past but this year there is nothing which really has caught my imagination and interested me enough to point out to people. I am waiting for the New Sookie book by Charlaine Harris and have it pre-ordered and my husband said he would pay for that, but it doesn't come out till May so its hardly seasonal!!

Hubby has access to my Amazom wishlist but he told me he's not touching it this year as he has come up with a gift all on his own. I am very worried.

I've asked for a copy of Charles Dickens - Great Expectations which i would really really love but if I don't get lucky from santa I will just have to purchase it myself in Jan.

I don't ask for books because I enjoy buying them for myself. Last year someone got me a Louise Rennison book - I was 40 then, what were they thinking???? But if someone did get me Wolf Hall, I'd be very pleased.

I've asked for some up-market chick-lit fare in the form of The Book of Tomorrow by Cecilia Ahern ( everything I've read of hers apart from PS: I Love You has been disappointing, to say the least) & Marian Keyes' The Brightest Star (she, on the other hand has written books that seem to improve with each subsequent one!), so I'm excited about getting those! Oh, and I've also asked for InkDeath, the latest Cornelia Funke offering, which looks really promising!

I've asked for some up-market chick-lit fare in the form of The Book of Tomorrow by Cecilia Ahern ( everything I've read of hers apart from PS: I Love You has been disappointing, to say the least)

I have to wonder why you've asked for Cecilia when she disappoints you so frequently?

I just keep hoping Cecilia Ahern will surprise me by being good again... The plot of this one sounded better than her last couple- she's had a lot of ghosty/afterlife type novels that haven't impressed me, so I'm hoping this one will be better. This is her last chance with me, so she'd better make it good! She also has a talent of making me interested in her characters, even if I'm not particularly enthralled by their journey, which is a plus, I guess...

That makes sense I had a look at the synopsis to PS I love you and am tempted on my next library visit to pick it up, i do like some light chick lit now and again.

P.S I love you is a good story. I have a problem with it though. It romanticizes Ireland. Oh they meet in the national park in wicklow where she got lost and he convinced her a sheepdog was a big hairy savage wolf. oh how lovely.............. truth being that they probably meet in a dingy night club somewhere with sick covering the floors, after drinking too many mickey finns and budweiser. Theres been far too many true to life films about life in Ireland and what Ireland is like for this to be actually taken seriously. That's my opinion. It's a lovely story but unrealistic. It's the equivalent of giving the impression that english life is full of afternoon tea and cricket and nights out at the queens theatre.

after drinking too many mickey finns and budweiser.

Only one is too many.

With or without the Bud, he or she would be out for the count and down on the floor in the sick.