Sign in to follow this  
virginia123

Which category?

I was looking for Hilary Mantel's masterly novel "Wolf Hall" and was surprised not to find it under novels of 21st century. I found it eventually under historical. Well, yes, it is a historical novel but it is also a novel of 21st century and by placing it under the historical category it would seem many readers have not found it - only 2 or is it 3? people have written in about it and none of the long thought-provoking comments that one finds in other categories. Does 'of 21st century' mean set in 21st century or written in 21st century? Many reviewers of "Wolf Hall" have pointed out that Mantel's writing has broken the conventions of the historical novel by an original approach to character and rewriting of the historical record. Maybe a solution as far as BGO is concerned is to have a double entry for "Wolf Hall" and put it into both historical and novels of 21st century.

I'd be happy to put a link to it under the 21st century banner, Virginia, but I think rather more people found it than you suggest - were you just looking at the final page of the discussion?

It's a problem I've had with several books - I got into a real muddle over which forum Little Women should be in.:rolleyes:

I would probably have put Wolf Hall in the 21st Century forum, as Mantel is not a genre author, but not having read it I don't feel I can make that judgement and move it from where the thread opener posted it.

It's location doesn't seem to have been too big a problem, as the thread is now on page 3.

I'm currently reading Wolf Hall and I was looking for the thread today. The first place I tried was Novels of the 21st Century, because it was written in the 21st century. Then again, that's what we have a search engine for and that's how I found it in historical.

Don't know what the solution to that would be, though. I must admit I was surprised to find it in historical but once there I thought 'how glaringly obvious'.

Perhaps putting a link in 21st Century would be a good idea.

I would have thought that a Booker Prize winner deserved to be in the 21st century literature category rather than buried in a rather obscure sub-forum. It may be visible and known now, but in years to come when people aren't posting about it as frequently, I think it may be harder to find.

Would it be appropriate for posters to post links themselves?

That's fine. Obviously if a book is very specifically of a genre then it should just be in the relevant forum, but if there seems reasonable crossover into general/literary fiction then by all means stick a link in there.

I use the search function even if the location is obvious. It's the only way I can check whether a thread on that particular book has already been started.