Sign in to follow this  
bobblington

2009 Book of your year

I posted too promptly on this thread (25th Nov.), the reason being is that I'm immersed in what will certainly be my only other five star read of 2009 and that is Jane Gardam's Old Filth.

Daniel Woodrell's 'Winter's Bone' is probably my best read of the year.
That makes me ridiculously happy to hear - I'm glad you liked it so much.

I posted too promptly on this thread (25th Nov.), the reason being is that I'm immersed in what will be certainly be my only other five star read of 2009 and that is Jane Gardam's Old Filth.
I'm toying with the idea of getting another copy of this and reading it again so that I can then read Gardam's latest novel which deals with Filth's early life, from the viewpoint of his wife. I don't feel that I remember the story well enough to be able to fully appreciate a prequel.

Probably Guilt by association by Susan Sloan or The Rice Mother by Rani Manicka. Ive just read The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood and that was quite good. The other two I bought second hand so they are not recent novels.

I have read more this year than any other in my life by at least double so I have read quite a few books that I have really enjoyed it's really hard to choose but I have to say "Jamaica Inn" and "Rebecca" by Daphne du maurier because they were the books that I stayed up late to finish-both were very hard to put down. I look forward to reading more of hers in future.

If I am to choose one book for 2009 then it has to be Wolf Hall by Hiliary Mantel. I loved the total re-illumination of history through those pages and can't wait for the next book.

First I thought we are talking book of the year 2009 as in book written in the year 2009. Then I saw this post:

The Yacoubian Building

Special Topics in Calamity Physics

Number one is on my TBR pile, number two I read a couple of years ago - great book. Can't wait to read the other one now.

My five star books are:

Grapes of Wrath

Cathedral of the Sea

Three Cups of Tea. One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time

The Girl She Used to Be

The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East

The Alchemist

Tough choice. I loved the two non-fiction ones best (Three Cups of Tea) and Lemon Tree) and really, really can't decide which one was the best fiction, probably The Alchemist.

For me, it was Middlemarch. Why did I wait so many years to read it? I made it last as long as I possibly could, I dreamt of the characters and I mourned when I finally finished it. That's the best I can ever say of a book.

I've only read a handful of five star books this year and I'm not convinced that I haven't been a bit too generous in my ratings. However, one book stood out for me.

The Virginian: A Horseman of the Plains by Owen Wister which was first published in 1902.

I've added a few to my wish list as a result of some of the comments in earlier posts.

Definitely the Larsson trilogy, amazingly sharp characters, but he's not in a rush to tell his story. Love them.

Wolf Hall - totally amazing, I really felt flat when I finished it.

Revelation/Dark Fire - have now read all the Shardlakes and can't wait for the next one.

Only two***** books last year, and no*****.

So, The Secret River - Kate Grenville, and The Road Home - Rose Tremain share what honours there are.

2010 has made a much better start.

My favourite book (or books) of 2009 was The Lord Of The Rings by J R R Tolkien. It was a personal achievement for me to read them as I had wanted to for a long time, but was convinced I would fail. Last year someone bought them for me as a birthday present and I felt I had to at least try. I thoroughly enjoyed them and will definately read them again.

My favourite book (or books) of 2009 was The Lord Of The Rings by J R R Tolkien.

Long a favourite of mine too, Karrie, though it's a book that divides opinion strongly!

You can see what other members think of it here and add your own thoughts if you like!

For me, it was Middlemarch. Why did I wait so many years to read it?
Because there are soooo many books? Honestly, I often ask myself that same question.
I made it last as long as I possibly could, I dreamt of the characters and I mourned when I finally finished it. That's the best I can ever say of a book.
That's certainly true. Middlemarch is a book you can read again and again. :D