2009 Book of your year

bobblington

I know it's a little early but I was discussing with a friend the book that has been the best read (on a personal level) of the year.

I started the year with a winner for me which is Possession by AS Byatt. The book just blew me away. I don't think I have enjoyed a book like that in ages. I didn't want to put it down, I loved the reflective nature of the relationships, the use of poetry and letters to tell different parts of the story and the mystery of the characters present and past. I felt each voice and use of language was distinct and that the whole work flowed effortlessly together.

My two runners up were

American Gods - Neil Gaiman

Imperial Life in the Emerald City - Rajiv Chandrasekaran

I thought Richard Yates's "Revolutionary Road" might be the best thing I read this year. In fact, it is the only book I've awarded 5 stars to thus far. Sarah Waters' "Fingersmith" got 4.5 meaning it was a close second.

However, my current read, Cormac McCarthy's "All The Pretty Horses", might be about to pip it at the post.

I haven't really had a good reading year. I think I've picked up more books I haven't liked than I thoroughly enjoyed.

I suppose the best would be "One Good Turn" by Kate Atkinson (fiction) and "Those Feet" by David English (non-fiction)

Worst? Well, there's several contenders...

I think the technical book of the year would be the flawless The Road by Cormac McCarthy. But for the book of the year that I look back on with most warmth, it would be 2666 by Roberto Bolaño. Not the easiest of reads; at times it was dull and repetitive, but the cumulative effect was stunning.

Still doesn't rival Kevin, which was my book of the year last year and vies with This Thing Of Darkness for my all-time great novel.

Most of the books I've read this year have been pregnancy or baby-related, so there's not much to choose from for my book of the year. I've abandoned so many because I just haven't had the commitment or concentration to give them my best shot (This Thing of Darkness & On Beauty - I will get back to you, I promise!)

So, my book of the year has to be Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. I love all her books and I think that one just may be my favourite.

I've had a few five star reads this year, but I enjoyed Steig Larsson's Millenium Trilogy the most. To think, I nearly didn't read them purely because my snobbery nearly rejected The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo on the grounds that it was so ubiquitous it couldn't be any good!

This is a no brainer for me, Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris, I say this one as it has introduced me to a set of books which I have become completely obsessed with and a set which I have enjoyed on so many levels, a story which should not work at all but does and there are not many books out there which I find completely incapable of putting down. As well as that I also say the last one of that series - Dead and Gone which is my favourite of the series the darkest of the Sookie Stackhouse series, this book concentrates on Sookie's ancestry and her blood relations the Fae and basically they want her dead, there is an interesting side story of the Were's and Shifters going public which neatly combines with the main story. Sookie changes in this one as well she's not as chirpy its almost as though its starting to get her down, very dark and very good.