Sign in to follow this  
Nuggie

The Death of Ivan Ilyich, in Russian

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to get The Death of Ivan Ilyich for a friend for Christmas but I'm specifically looking for a Russian copy

I'm been scouring the internet trying to find said copy but to no avail. Does any body know where I might be able to find it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

I don't speak Russian but have read it in English and had to comment that this was a wonderful story; as timely today as it was at the time it was written. Unlike the dramatic depiction of death in most books, which have little to do with our everyday experiences, here it is something we can all relate to. It is no different from most deaths we encounter — of relatives, friends, and in the end even ourselves. The way it is depicted here is what makes this a true masterpiece.

Sorry I could not help you with finding it, but I'm sure if you google it something will come up. It's still in print.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Momo
      Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoi - 1877
      Last summer, I read this novel for the book club. Just couldn't put it down. I had started it early since it's a long book but finished it before our next book. It's a wonderful story. I didn't like Anna or her lover much (especially him) but liked the other couple that was described. The writing is so wonderful, you think those people are real.
      I also watched one of the mini series that was filmed a couple of years ago and had the same impression. Everyone in our book club, with one exception, I believe, loved it, as well. I liked it so much, I will definitely read more of Tolstoi. Any suggestions?
      (thread first started 13.02.06)
    • By megustaleer
      I'm surprised that there is no thread on this book, as I know that some members have read it. But maybe only Topcat has actually finished it, which he did in an amazing 24 hours.
      If anyone else wants to attempt that, I would recommend taking care over which translation you choose. Topcat read a ginormous 1358 page volume. The two newest translations are shorter one at 1285 pages, and the other. 2/3 the size, at a slimline 898.

• By Adrian
      How do you people read this stuff? I found this quite a chore to read, not helped in the slightest by what felt like a translation by machine (actually David McDuff for Penguin Classics). I liked the story within a story, and especially setting it all on a train, but the writing style I felt was quite jarring

It reads like I'm being lectured at by a divorced, drunken Russian philosophy student in a dodgy bar in Omsk. And it's barely a hundred pages long. I'll think I'll stick to Dostoevsky.