Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Strangelove

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

I'm not quite sure where to post this (Bill if it's in the wrong place feel free to move!) but what do people think of the new film Hitchhikers guide to galaxy? It came out in cinemas on Friday, and although I haven't had a chance to see it, I think it looks a bit weird.

Martin Freeman - Arthur Dent

Sam Rockwell - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Mos Def - Ford Prefect

Zooey Deschanel - Trillian

And the robot playing Marvin the robot is totally not how I imagined him. I personally think they should have let this book lay. And I don't mean to sound racist, but I never imagened Ford to be black. What are your views of the film?

I agree it doesn't look too great....I'll just wait till it comes out on DVD and rent it out, £7.50 for a film's daylight robbery I tell you....Marvin and Zaphod just look completely and utterly stupid and wrong. Isn't Marvin meant to be a human-like thing....a cyborg? Last time I checked humans weren't great big circle snowmen things....

I think Marvin was always a robot as opposed to a cyborg, he isn't how I imagined but the voice of Alan Rickman is a good choice.

Personally I am looking forward to the films release :D

I saw the film in a preview showing this morning....my boyfriend INSISTED on going along in his dressing gown and a towel (he works there, and a few of his friends did the same - i know that makes it only SLIGHTLY less weird, but it's all I have to hold on to, ok?!)

I have to say I really enjoyed it. I've read the books and seen the tv series, not listened to the radio series.

Apparently some really funny lines were left out which was disappointing, but all in all the opinion of the die hard fans seemed to be that it wasn't 'as disappointing as I expected'...which is good i suppose!

The characters all have different motives than in the other adaptations, but it works well in the medium of film - it gives it more drive, more of a storyline.

I wasn't too sure about Marvin either, but the rest of the characters were well chosen I thought. ALan RIckman's voice as Marvin was perfect, and STeven Fry as the book was good too. MOs Def (is that his name?) made a much better Ford Prefect than the guy in the tv series.

ANyhow, i don't have any profound commentary on it, but I just thought i'd post and say that I think it's worth seeing. If you're a hardcore fan you might be a little disappointed, but prob cos you were expecting too much!! Go see it and find out for yourself!

I personally think they should have let this book lay. And I don't mean to sound racist, but I never imagened Ford to be black. What are your views of the film?

ooh i also meant to say, i don't agree they should have let the book lie....i'm not totally sure of my facts here, but didn't Douglas Adams WANT it to be made into a film and was actually involved in the adaptation process before he died? Feel free to correct if i'm wrong...

I'll just wait till it comes out on DVD and rent it out, £7.50 for a film's daylight robbery I tell you....

:eek: What kind of cinema do you go to??? My local one's no more than £4!

As for the film itself... I'm looking forward to it! I've read the books, listened to the radio series' and watched the tv series, and whilst they're all very different as I'm sure the film will be, they're all pretty good! I'm not sure about some of the cast, but I'm reserving judgement until I've actually seen the film itself! Hopefully that'll be on friday - don't want to have to wait too long! :D

£7.50 adults ticket, i'm not sure what rating it is, if it's a 12/PG we can get away with £4.70 something. Cinema is so expnsive!

Maybe I am expecting too much. Anyone know if there is going to be a sequel?

....i'm not totally sure of my facts here, but didn't Douglas Adams WANT it to be made into a film and was actually involved in the adaptation process before he died? ...

It was his dream for HHG to reach the movie medium ... it had been everything else, and yes, he was involved and even created at least one new character, the one played by John Malkovich.

I've included a short piece by his brother if you're interested, just copy & paste and remove the gaps (I don't think we're supposed to paste links in here??)

http://www. bbc.co.uk/ dna/ h2g2/ A3913760

As for a sequel, I guess if it's a success in the US they'll start a sequel on the back of that, it's what normally happens.

Oh, and by the way Dr Strangelove, what colour should a alien universal hitchhiker be then? :rolleyes:

I, for one, shall pay the ticket price and watch on the big screen as have been a fan of all things DA since I was a little girl! :D

Just for the record, I have no problem at all with users posting links. It is the BBC in fact who are most paranoid about their precious sites being used for links. So link away, I say!

And yes you're right, Annabellalot, it was the great Douglas Adams's dearest wish that HHGTTG be made into a film. Perhaps he wanted it too much, and it was a personal tragedy for him and his family that it never happened in his lifetime.

Bill (climbing off the fence for once)