Sign in to follow this  
Flingo

The Noughties

We've still got nearly 2 months to go before the end of the decade, but for weeks the papers and the TV channels have been doing "Noughties" features, and now The Telegraph has announced the "100 Books that defined the noughties".

The article

Do you feel they define the last 10 years?

I'm not sure some of them eg Being Jordan quite define the noughties - Jordan may to an extent, but not the book about her...

(I've read 17 by the way as we all know that's what this thread will turn into!)

Do you feel they define the last 10 years?
No, I don't. No idea what does define the decade though, so no help there.

(I've read 17 by the way as we all know that's what this thread will turn into!)
Surprised to learn I'd read 5. Never do well in these 'how many have you read' things so I'd say that 5 was amazing

Well I've read 32 of them so I am clearly qualified to comment :D.

I'd say it's not a bad effort at giving a good cross section of what people have been reading over the past 10 years. There are plenty of bestsellers, books that went on to become very popular films, big prize winners, book club faves etc. Yes, some are written by celebrities but their popularity whilst baffling, can't be denied.

Could someone read this set of books in 100 years time and fully appreciate what made this decade different from the last or the next? I doubt it, how would that ever be possible. I hate these artificial constructs that newspapers and magazines use in order to generate copy.

I did gave a cheer when I saw that Bad Science by Ben Goldacre is there and described as "highly influential". Not influential enough in my book, everyone should get a copy and read it twice!

I didn't think I was at all up-to-date with my reading, so was not expecting to have read any of them. I have been very surprised.

Actually, I was mostly surprised to find that some of the ones I have read were published in this decade, it seems so long since I read them. I can't say that any of them define the decade. In my experience (having lived through quite a few) style decades do not run from zero to nine, but more from the middle of one such decade to the middle of the next.

Certainly the current state of affairs feels very different from the opening years of this century.

Or is that just me :confused:

Thought it an interesting collection, but was very depressed to see Jordan in there, if only because it was so high up the list.

The best book of the lot by far in my opinion was Cloud Atlas (or at least, of the 15 or so I have read!) Could never see what the fuss was about with Notes on a Scandal. Loved to see some cookery books in there because Jamie, Nigella and Nigel have definitely changed the way the country sees food this decade.

The list has made me want to read sooooo much more! There's never enough time is there?!

Eight for me, and give that of those eight I'm including drek such as The Da Vinci Code, The Kite Runner, and The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency, I wish it were a more respectable five. The others were The Line Of Beauty, The Crimson Petal And The White, Never Let Me Go, The God Delusion, and The Road.

I've read 31 and have 2 others started and discarded, Cloud Atlas which I got stuck in the middle of and The God Delusion which I want to go back to.

In some ways the celebrity books and the cookery say more about "popular" culture than any of the others, certainly Domestic Goddess and Apettite are books I have used and READ for the content, Nigel Slater is much underrated as food writer, overshadowed by Nigella, Jamie , Gordon.......

Of the others some I hated.... Labyrinth, some I loved Wolf Hall and some are on that vague list of books I must read someday..Barack Obama.

As a quick snapshot of the decade not bad, think I'll go back and look at the other lists now.

Yes, I agree it was good to see Nigel Slater in there. I'd argue that Appetite is the best book on the list and the best cookery book ever.

I was disappointed by the list. There were some I had read and enjoyed, some that I had bought, won over by the hype, and either not enjoyed as I had expected, or hadn't finished. And there were some I had avoided because of the hype or high expectations. Or just because they didn't interest me.

I haven't looked at the music list, but the film list more fairly represented my cinema habits than the book list did my reading habits - probably because I like the ice cream in the big multiplex in town, so my film-viewing habits are more driven by the tastes of the big distributors!

It's interesting isn't it because at first I took the heading of

Define the decade to mean just that - books that were about the last 10 years, whether it be war, biographies, recession, gay marriage etc. But I can see from the list it's actually just a list of books people liked over the last 10 years which sort of disappoints me...

I'd find it quite interesting to know what people considered the best books for depicting life in the "noughties" just like I think that the Rotters Club by Jonathon Coe is a wonderful depiction of the 1970's as my Dad always seems to retell his life then just like that.

Do you have a book that for you defines an era?

(15 with 2 more on my TBR shelf)

The Noughties have been for me the first decade in my adult life when I've had so little time for reading. I don't know - the more time saving gadgets we have, the less time we seem to have.

Having said that I've read about eight on the list - (I don't normally do very well on these lists either).

I imagine I've read a lot more words online than I have in print during this decade. I first got access to the world wide web during Christmas 1999. The internet has definetly been the defining thing of the noughties for me. It's where I met my hubby, conduct a fair portion of my work and keep up with some of my faraway buddies via email.

As far as the list goes - I'm lost as to how The Damned Utd can be considered representative of the noughties :confused:

Only 11 and I skimmed some that bored me, such as My Booky Wook and The Line of Beauty. Some books like cookbooks and reference are not seriously read, just occasionally consulted.

I've read 19.

The blurb at the beginning mentions books by backstabbing politicians and tawdry celebrities and on the currently dominant world conflicts. These kinds of books are not unique to the Noughties.

What perhaps has been the sea change, which the article highlights, is how the ordinary reader goes about selecting their books rather than their content. The real media phenomenon of the decade in that regard has been Richard and Judy, although they've shot themselves in the foot by leaving a terrestrial channel.

Obviously, there's also the power of the internet to sway people's decisions which hasn't been there before, which has meant the rise of the amateur reviewer through Amazon's sometimes questionable reviews, 'blogs or message forums like this one.

The big change for the 2010s (whatever the media want to call them), I think, will be how readers consume books as e-readers gradually spread and take hold. I suspect, however, that what makes up the Top 100 of the next decade will look quite similar to this one.

I've read a rather modest fifteen of these, and there are two I started but didn't finish: White Teeth and Dreams From My Father (the former because I didn't like it and the latter because I realised I'd read so much about Barack Obama over the preceding months that I wasn't really learning enough for it to be worthwhile).

I'm currently just starting Wolf Hall, which is also in there; and the fact that the Harry Potter books come right at the top (it's the last one, but they really mean the whole caboodle) has made me want to re-read the first two and then keep going. I have a very bright niece, who's now seventeen, and those books were such an essential part of her childhood and adolescence. As for when I'll find the time... probably not before next July...

I think this looks like space filler. How can you find 100, and exactly 100 books that have defined the decade? Most people haven't read 100 books in their lives, let alone in the last decade. I certainly suspect the editor of this article hasn't read them all - let alone read 1000 books in the last decade to be in a position to judge which were the most defining.

No - his looks like a few random Booker shortlisters; a few famous books; a few sleb books; a few Christmas stocking filler books; and a few from the best seller lists. The result is risible - how on earth is Sarah Waters' Night Watch definitive of the 2000s? It is one of her weaker books and set in the 1940s.

Oh, and the list is a year early.

It's an interesting mix of the trivial and the important. There are some I'm very glad to see there - Alan Hollinghurst, Zadie Smith, J.M. Coetzee, Michel Faber (even though I haven't read that particular Faber yet). There are some I wouldn't read if they were the last books on earth, eg Cherie Blair and Jade Goody's contributions. But I have to admit that I'm not wholly immune to the fluff - for example, I recognise that Piers Morgan has an ego the size of a planet but I would still flick through his book if it was in front of me. Even if only to snort at his self love. I've read 20 of the list and a couple are on my shelves awaiting attention.

I agree with Mr HG. This list means nothing. Anyone could have picked a different 100 books and given equally valid reasons why they should be included.

In fact the article really si filler because it doesn't try to draw any conclusions of present any (controiversial or not) opinions.

(read 8, TBR 8, bible 1 (Nigella))

I'm glad to see Shantaram on there. I loved that book so much it got me hooked on bollywood movies through a fascination of the indian culture. They don't compare though.

I'm a bit annoyed that Russell brand is in there though, I mean he has a way with words but I don't think it's fair to put a biography on a list of influential books for the decade. It would be great to see him write a novel, I think it would be really unique.