Sign in to follow this  
Bill

The Third Ever BGO Book Quiz

13. What is the shared name of Perdita, as written about by Paula Byrne, and a former President of the Republic Of Ireland?

Mary Robinson

The Russian Debutante’s Handbook – Gary Shteyngart

Well, it's a great answer, and fits the question, but for one slight problem - it's not in the Hardback Top 20. So amazingly there is another novel that sounds like it's non-fiction and written in an East European language.

However, megustaleer and Tess are completely right, and Deinonychus is two-thirds right. chrisqqgx4 is technically right with both answers, but is docked two marks for not reading the rules properly.

So 7, 11, 14, 17 and one-third of 4 to go.

chrisqqgx4 is technically right with both answers, but is docked two marks for not reading the rules properly

Properly? I only read 'em at all when I saw your comment :D

Edited to say: And I really thought Tess was actually congratulating me on knowing two answers. Ho hum.

Properly? I only read 'em at all when I saw your comment :D

Edited to say: And I really thought Tess was actually congratulating me on knowing two answers. Ho hum.

Congratulations on your vast knowledge Chris :D

7. Seven (pathetic - Victimhood, the new celebrity!) :rolleyes:

edited because I couldn't resist the sarkie comment! :D

Hmmm, I've done a recount and come up with a different number. Bearing in mind that the same childhood is effectively recounted in three different books by two different authors.

Elfstar and megustaleer are both correct.

So just these questions left:

4. Who are the only THREE writers to have novels in both the Paperback and Hardback Top 20s?

(Dan Brown and Josephine Cox are two, but there is one more)

7. How many stories about underprivileged childhoods (sometimes the same one) are in the two Non-Fiction Top 20s?

(It's not seven)

11. What connects the books at Nos 3, 5, 13 and 20 in the Non-Fiction Paperback charts, and Nos 1, 3, 13 and 20 in the Non-Fiction Hardback charts?

(No one has attempted this yet.)

Come on, let's knock this one on the head!

Think I am within the rules as someone else has answered a question after me so I think

No 11 all these books are connected to TV programmes

7. Mmm, I made it seven as well! Maybe one of them was a reasonably happy childhood, or possibly an underprivileged adolescence, so I'll go for SIX.

4. Who are the only THREE writers to have novels in both the Paperback and Hardback Top 20s?

(Dan Brown and Josephine Cox are two, but there is one more)

Ooh, let me answer one. I've got visitors staying, so I've not been here much.....

Alexander McCall Smith.

Yes, Claire.

7. Mmm, I made it seven as well! Maybe one of them was a reasonably happy childhood, or possibly an underprivileged adolescence, so I'll go for SIX.

Try going the other way, and then I'll list all of them as I see it.

If someone can just write the word 'eight' for No 7 and unfairly claim all the credit, I can wrap this one up.

7. Eight :D

(well no-one else was going to, and I have no problem with unfairly claiming credit! :P)

Thank you Fiona. You can take all the credit!

Paperbacks numbers 1;6;8;16

Hardbacks numbers 4;6;8;10

Actually, I have it as

Pb: 1, 6, 8, 16, 17

Hb: 4, 6, 8

PAPERBACKS

1. Just A Boy - Richard McCann

6. One Child - Torey L Hayden

8. Sickened - Julie Gregory

16. The Privilege Of Youth - Dave Pelzer

17. My Story - Dave Pelzer (a compendium of his first three books of, as ChrisG would have it, whining).

HARDBACKS

4. The Little Prisoner - Jane Elliott

6. A Brother's Journey - Richard Pelzer

8. Rock Me Gently - Judith Kelly

The book at No 10 in the hardbacks, Moving On by Kevin Lewis, is the sequel to a book in this genre, The Kid. From the blurb, though, it seems to be the story of his adult life and how he came to write the kid.

Full list of answers follow.

1. What links the titles of current novels by Joanna Trollope, Jodi Picoult and Sophie Kinsella?

A - Sister (Brother and Sister, My Sister's Keeper, Shopaholic and Sister) (Starry and happyfriday simultaneously)

2. What links the titles of current novels by Lyn Andrews and Kate Long?

A - Mother (A Mother's Love and Bad Mother's Handbook) (happyfriday)

3. What is the title - ironic in one way yet appropriate in another - of Boy George’s second volume of autobiography?

A - Straight (elfstar)

A - Josephine Cox, Dan Brown (Deino), Alexander McCall Smith (Claire)

5. What novel in the Hardback Top 20 is set in Turnham Malpas?

A - Whispers In The Village by Rebecca Shaw (chrisqqgx4)

6. What novel in the Hardback Top 20 is set in Venice?

A - Blood From A Stone - Donna Leon (Tess)

7. How many stories about underprivileged childhoods (sometimes the same one) are in the two Non-Fiction Top 20s?

A - Eight (F1984)

8. What is the relationship between Dave and Richard Pelzer?

A - Brothers (ChrisG)

9. Which is the only adult chart in which the words ‘Da Vinci Code’ do not appear?

A - Non-Fiction Hardbacks (F1984)

10. Which book in the Hardback Non-Fiction Top 20 shares its name with Andy Kim’s only UK hit?

A - Rock Me Gently by Judith Kelly (MFJ)

11. What connects the books at Nos 3, 5, 13 and 20 in the Non-Fiction Paperback charts, and Nos 1, 3, 13 and 20 in the Non-Fiction Hardback charts?

A - All tie-ins to TV programmes (elfstar)

12. Which novel in the Hardback Top 20 was named after a work by Geoffrey Chaucer?

A - Wives Of Bath by Wendy Holden (Tess)

13. What is the shared name of Perdita, as written about by Paula Byrne, and a former President of the Republic Of Ireland?

A - Mary Robinson (chrisggx4)

14. What word links the title of current novels by Tess Gerritsen and Patricia Scanlan?

A - Double (Body Double and Double Wedding) (megustaleer)

15. What do the titles of current novels by Kathy Reichs and Ian McEwan have in common?

A - Days of the week (Monday and Saturday)

16. What did you get if you divide the number of treasures you can find around the world by the number of years younger you can be , then add the number in Scotland Street?

A - 52 (80, 10, 44) (F1984)

17. Which novel in the Hardback Top 20, according to its title, is a Non-Fiction book written in an East European language?

A - A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka (elfstar)

18. Which recently deceased octogenarian wrote Memory And Identity?

A - Pope John Paul II (GW)

19. Which other octogenarian’s autobiography is called By Myself And Then Some?

A - Lauren Bacall (donnae)

20. What discovery are the new entries by Anita Shreve and Penny Vincenzi both based around?

A - An abandoned baby (megustaleer)

There'll be another quiz when I can think of enough new questions.

That of course shouldn't prevent someone else coming up with their own quiz...