Where are you?

Jen

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've now received an e-mail from Adrian confirming that he's fine and on a long holiday.
That is such a relief - as long as it is just a holiday and he intends to return eventually.

I too miss Claire, but I realise that the vocation takes up much of her time (although our last rector, now moved to a new parish, spends more time on Facebook than anyone else I know :rolleyes: ).

I think facebook is the culprit in many cases. I know of other once well-frequented boards which now resemble the Marie Celeste, due to a few active people spending all their spare time on facebook! I think there's something pitiful about once great forums which have been abandoned by all their users, the thousands of chatty, lengthy posts just lying there gradually becoming covered over by auto-generated spam, visited by nobody but the search engines. (I feel a poem coming on...). Fortunately BGO has more than a few committed members to ensure that never happens here.

No, I havent been on facebook (well actually I have but not for hours on end - fortunately it is banned on my work PC). Like most people these days I've been too busy with work or too tired to be active here. Regarding facebook, it might be my imagination but it does seem to be involved in what seems like one murder every week or so. Today I read that 20% of couples seeking counselling mention facebook as a factor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Stewart is becoming conspicuous by his absence. Only two posts this year, both in early January.

His New Year Resolution was

To buy no more books and to spend more time with my camera.
so perhaps he's not reading (seems implausible). Didn't say he was giving up posting on BGO, and he is still logging in, but strangely, I miss him :eek:

Edit - it's good to see Volvican spending a little time with us!

I am posting tonight to say goodbye to the BOOK GROUP ONLINE forum.

I have to be honest in saying that I have felt that I have been under pressure from the start to explain myself,and some of my posts have been of a less than an agreed nature.

In keeping with the good nature of this site,I have endeavoured to moderate my posts within,and yet I find myself at a loss overall.

Best wishes to you,one and all.

Tuscan.

and yet I find myself at a loss overall.

I'm afraid I'm at a loss as to the difficulty here, tuscan. Where has there been a problem?

In terms of being, "under pressure from the start to explain" yourself, I asked by PM about your extensive PMing with another new member because neither of you had posted on the board at that time and we do work proactively to combat trolls etc. I thought we had settled that and you were clear about why I asked. Once you explained the situation I was perfectly happy.

This was some time ago, however. What pressure has there been since then? This is all rather odd and I have no idea why you suddenly choose to leave amid claims of 'pressure'. I'd be very grateful for an explanation - by PM if you'd prefer.

I admit to having been confused by some of your posts, tuscan, but have assumed that it was my slow wits at fault. Nevertheless, I am sorry you feel the need to leave us.

Thank you for having the consideration to explain, rather than just disappear.

Don't forget your log in details, as you may wish to return in due course. We will be pleased if you do.

• 1 month later...
Stewart is becoming conspicuous by his absence. Only two posts this year, both in early January.

His New Year Resolution was so perhaps he's not reading (seems implausible). Didn't say he was giving up posting on BGO, and he is still logging in, but strangely, I miss him :eek:

I'm around. I've hit a lengthy reading block: a mix of mental exhaustion at work as I took more onto my workload and of my the part-time degree I'm also doing. Around this time of year I find myself watching loads of TV (Lost, 24, Fringe, Flashforward, V, etc.) but they've all finished now and, with no more programmes in sight, I've a summer of reading ahead of me without all the distractions that have held me back this year. But, yes, I have been spending time with the camera, too...

• 1 month later...