Sign in to follow this  
Phoebus

Why are you on BGO ?

I read about BGO in a newspaper article, and thought I'd check it out as I liked the idea of a bookclub that was there for me whenever I wanted it!

And to repeat others, I've stuck with it as I like your company and I like to know that you are always here to turn to.

Annelies (BGOer anneliesscott) and I were talking the other day about the fact that sometimes we're frustrated that there's not enough traffic on here. I look forward to logging in, and it can be a bit disappointing to find there hasn't been (m)any new posts since my last visit! :o
Ah, but it's quality, not quantity! I must admit that I quite like that we aren't too busy. I have also joined, and then lapsed my membership from other book forums. The main reason for leaving them, there was too many new posts each time I logged in and I couldn't keep up (I don't like to think I'm missing out on something!)

I saw an article in the Sunday Times, and joined because of it. I stayed like so many for the company.

I find BGO has a subliminal effect on my book buying...I am amazed at how many charity shop buys I have come home with to find them featured on BGO, I often don't remember the name or title but there it is so something must have stuck.

This is of course apart from the deliberate choices..The Childrens War, Wolf Hall (which is superb) and next I think The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo thanks to the great reviews .

I also enjoy the writers circle when its running and the general air of conviviality and warmth.

This and facebook are my 2 main sites. I like the facebook games and its a good way to communicate with friends (and be nosy).

I used to come on BGO because I was bored at work. Then I came on BGO when I was studying for some distraction. Now I come on BGo to check out books for work, lucky me, plus for fun in my lunch break when i can.

I first came onto BGO because I like the poetry thread. I love poetry even though I have no academic type appreciation for it. Of course like others I was soon hooked into the social aspect of it and agree with Minxminnie's comments.

If I tried to talk about poetry to others in the rest of my life, I'm met with slightly open mouthed silence.

I am here because I like to read books and I like to talk about them with other people. It also beats working for a living, as I spend much of the spare time I find while I'm at work (and just at the moment there seems to be a lot) mooching about on this site.

Being on BGO has made me think more deeply about my reading, probably resulted in me reading better quality books and, I like to think, sharpened my skills at expressing my thoughts about them.

I've been visiting several times a week for almost 5 years - I think my recent vaction in Argentina is probably my longest absence from the site in that time. When the site disappeared for a couple of weeks in early 2007 it was like losing a valued friend.

It has become part of my life, and indeed shaped it to some degree. I've been stepping out with Lady Lazarus since July last year, something that would never have happened without BGO, and have been turning out regularly for a pub quiz team following an invitation from Bill, although the man himself dropped out when he became a daddy. I've met several other members face to face over the years too.

As others have said, it is the social aspect that appeals about the site once you've settled in. Although I'm one of the longerstanding, more frequently contributing members and therefore perhaps not qualified to comment, it also seems to me to stay just the right side of cliqueyness - there are few offputting injokes here, for example. Debate here can sometimes be passionate, sometimes silly, often eloquent, but rarely stoops to rudeness. The civility of BGO makes a refreshing change from the real world.

Jeremy DEagle Wrote:

No such thing, unless you are reading crap by any of the following:

Chris Moyles

Kerry Katona

Katie Price

:o None of the above but I have been known to pick up a celebrity autobiography - I did read Sharon Osbournes and I am really tempted to buy Ozzy's as well (this is mainly because I love Ozzy and think he is god in the music world!!) I have also read most of the Jeremy Clarkson books World according to Clarkson etc...