Michael Jecks and his wonder-books

I have recently discovered Michael Jecks' books. They are really crime novels, but set in Medieval times. I've only read one at the moment, The Templar's Penance, but I intend to read more. That one was set in Spain, but I think that others are set in Devon/Cornwall. He has written about 10 or more.

I like his style of writing, although at the very beginning maybe a few to many characters are introduced at once - luckily there is a list of characters in the front. It was great seeing how the characters interlinked with each other and how all the connections were discovered by the protagonists.

I recommend this book!

• 1 month later...

I have now read another 2. 'The Tournament of Blood' and 'The Mad Monk of Gidleigh'

The first one was exellent again, but the second one I got bored of. Probably because I've had an overdose of Medievil murder mysteries. I'll read some more at later.

There are still very good though!

I've read two of his books - the Mad Monk of Gidleigh and A Moorland Hanging. I quite enjoyed the Mad Monk but was a bit taken aback at the blood bath at the end. However, having now read a second one where both characters and plot were heavily recycled, I'm less impressed.

For example, Baldwin and wossname stay with a local knight with delinquent sons. A key plot point was a bastard that no one knew about. Once you knew that, the one wot dunnit was really obvious.