http://www.five.tv/programmes/drama/flashforward

Looks interesting and starts this Monday. I'll give it a go I think.

What did you think Jeremy? I quite enjoyed it but with reservations - it didn't live up to the hype, but then nothing usually does - and will give next week's episode a fair viewing. It's based on a book by Robert J. Sawyer which looks a lot more interesting and yet to be released.

Anybody read anything by Robert J. Sawyer? Apparently he's Canadian.

I watched it. I don't know about spoilers for Lost, JdE, as I gave up on that after the first few series.

But this one is quite good. My main reservation with a show that sets up as an intriguing mystery but that has no end point in sight is that the mystery will end up going no where and burn itself out.

-- Like, dare I say it, Lost... which is why I stopped watching it. I feel a bit like I got my fingers burned with that one. I mean, it was such a tease, wasn't it? You're wondering about so many things but rarely get anything more than something else to wonder about. Never any fulfilment. I'm not sure if I want to go that way with another TV show.

I like Joseph Fiennes though... he was such a beautiful Shakespeare.

I like Joseph Fiennes though... he was such a beautiful Shakespeare.
Oh, wasn't he just! Mmmmmmm

We nearly gave up on the first episode at the first advert break and might not stick with the entire second episode let alone the series but it does seem an intriguing premise. Perhaps the book is better (?)

The book was actually published about 10 years ago and although the basic principle of the whole world experiencing the "Flashforward" is the same, the programme is quite different. In the book, the jump is 20 years, not six months and the cause is also known from the beginning (I won't give anything away here). I will be interested to see how it continues.

I have read most of Robert J Sawyer's books and they are all very readable S.F. They vary from Dinosaur colonies in outer space, not as corny as it sounds, to the uploading of consciousness to an android body.

I too saw the Pilot ep & thought it was interesting enough, though the characters haven't stayed defined in my mind. Maybe I was distracted by the sight of Joseph Fiennes on my TV screen? I'm intrigued by the future crime that Fiennes' character witnessed and the guy's non-dead-in the future-wife. I'll try to remember to watch it next week, but if I do forget, I don't think I'll be too fussed.

Severely tempted to watch tonight's repeat of the first episode, but I knew I was likely to fall asleep halfway through.

Considered recording it, but have finally decided that I really don't want to get caught up in another of these series.

Breaking the Heroes addiction was tough enough.

• 1 month later...

This has been shaping up very nicely and is now definitely in the 'look-forward-to' list.

It was a slow burn at the start and if it has a real weakness it's in the characterisation, which is slightly lacklustre. Nevertheless, it's the central concept that has proven the powerhouse and it's been developing with real interest and intrigue. This is no Lost where you had to wait for a whole series to end before getting even small questions answered. I'm a huge fan of Lost, of course, but my fear was that this would simply be a copycat clone.

No, instead we've been getting a satisfying drip-feed of revelations and surprises about the events surrounding the flashforward and I've been properly hooked!

Best of all there are plenty of thoughtful explorations of issues spinning off from the worldwide flashforward. What does knowing the future mean for a person? How does it alter things - indeed, can it? Does it create events?

That made the ending to last week's episode particularly shocking and haunting. Plus I loved the idea of the Blue Hand movement, bringing together all those who didn't have a vision and so believe they are going to die.

A very shrewd buy on Channel 5's part.

I'm enjoying this series as well, it's a good thoughtful piece of work. I think it does show how Lost had affected subsequent TV shows though, but it looks like an effort has been made to refine the questions/answers balance in this case.

I came late to it all and watched about 4 episodes over a few days, it got me hooked but watching it this way noticed a LOT of overacting, which was a shame.

Glad to see Dominic Monaghan back, he's doing very well with a dark intelligent character.

I think it does show how Lost had affected subsequent TV shows though
Funnily enough, I saw a trailer for FF the other night and said to hubby that Lost had a lot to answer for. Sure, Lost is brilliant telly, but it has spawned so many lookeylikey TV shows.
  • 3 weeks later...

I've certainly not been sure what to make of the unexpected hiatus for FlashForward (nothing coming until March). All sorts of rumour seemed to surround it but the consensus seems to be that no one should panic. The writer now claims it's a good thing (see SFX) but I'm just narked as it was really picking up pace and becoming very interesting.

Thanks for posting this David. I had just assumed that it would appear again after Christmas and would have been wondering what had happened. The last couple of episodes had really picked up the pace hadn't they, and what is surprising me is that the series seems to be more complex than the book.

(Can't say the same for Stargate Universe - I am very bored with that now.)

• 3 months later...

The two hour episode was on last night in the U.S. and it's good. I enjoy stories like this as long as I can keep up with the reveals and not get too too confused. I'm still on top of the story, so that moment where I wonder, "WHAT is going on???" hasn't happened, but I can tell that that's a possible danger, especially if the story continues over many seasons. But for right now, I'm enjoying it and not just because Joseph Fiennes is easy on the eyes. As a total aside, I just looked him up in Wikipedia and they say his birth name is "Joseph Alberic Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes" which is sort of an arresting name.