Sign in to follow this  
bobblington

First book you ever loved

Did you check abe books?

No, never heard of that site before. I notice Adrian (above) found it on there so will know for next time!

I just remembered an earlier one- 'The Brave Little Tailor'. He killed 7 with one blow!

I remember always thinking that the bread and jam he had for breakfast looked delicious. I've tracked an identical copy down and have read it to my daughter a number of times and it still looks as good now...

Perhaps I need to go and have some breakfast...

Famous Five Books by Enid Blyton - I adored everything about these books; the characters, the adventures they had; their summer holidays spent at some idyllic retreat and exploring caves and islands shrouded in mystery . . . I thought they were the most wonderful tales as a child and were my introduction to the world of books!! :)

The only book i have ever read over 20 times in A Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood.

Margaret spins an imaginative world after nuclear fallout and STD strains that render females infertile.

She narrates the life of Offred, a handmaid who is an unwilling surrogate in a world where information is censored and freedom is a dream.

This is one of the few books set in the future without sci-fi jargon and high technology.

I recommend to anyone who likes a good yarn. Also Cormac McCarthy's The Road follows in a similar although more unsettling vein.

Of course there is more than one:

The Jungle Book

Just So Stories (especially "The Elephant's Child")

Winnie the Pooh

Now We are Six (but you could have figured that out from my screen name)

I think it was "The farthest away mountain" by Lynne Reid Banks. It was the first book that I read more than once.

Maybe even earlier than that would be a book for littler children-I couldn't read it at the time but the pictures were awesome. It was called "The patchwork cat"----oh and also "where the wild things are" Amazing illustrations.

Thats a very good question, but also a very difficult one to answer, it depends on what context you are talking about.

For example: The first book I ever read as a child was the Famous Five book Five on a Treasure Island, now I loved those stories and that book holds a special place in my heart as the book which introduced me to reading for pleasure rather than being forced to at school, but those stories now leave me cold. There is a Happy Land by Keith Waterhouse is another which I read as a child and which had an effect on me. The Harry Potter books are another as they brought me back to reading after years and years of being away, and for that they hold a special place, Wuthering Heights I adore as I have never had such a profound mix of emotion when I read that book and I consider it to be one of the greatest books ever written. But then again there are a number of Catherine Cookson books which I have loved so much I will read and re-read them over and over again and still get the same amount of pleasure from them. In particular The Invisible Cord which now is extremely dog earred and tatty after being read numerous times. So to name one book is extremely difficult if not impossible to do as I love so many books for so many reasons.

Really difficult to answer but like others on here I loved the Famous Five books and also I loved Charlottes Web ( still have a copy of that). Also liked the Mallory Towers books which made me want to go to Boarding School!

My mother would tell you it was a picture book about animals when I was 2 or 3 (all I remember is the verse, "The Camel was there/With a rose in her hair.")

Ones I recall: The Velveteen Rabbit, Charlotte's Web, Thornton Burgess' Old Mother West Wind and Her Children, and a beautifully illustrated version of The Song of Roland which I checked out of the library again and again. (See, I loved medieval stuff even back then...)

Where the Wild Things Are - first favourite picture book. Boohoo. Soooo not seeing the film. Heresy.

Heidi - first favourite novel. Can't quite believe the idea of a pasture full of goats once appealled.

Where the Wild Things Are - first favourite picture book. Boohoo. Soooo not seeing the film. Heresy.

Have had good reports of the film from people who loved the book.

Including Elder Son who took his boys to see it just before Christmas.

That's an easy one: The Valley of Adventure by Enid Blyton. It was the most exciting thing in the world for me at the time. I hope children today are capable of experiencing the same joy over a mere book.

Wyrdskein was this the books where there was a boy who animals loved. He always had some pet or made friends with animals wherever he went. I loved those books along with all the other Blyton books I read. She may have been a self centred ....... person but she knew how to make children lose themselves in books.

Other books I loved as a child were the Hobbit and the Lion, Witch and Wardrobe.

Black Beauty. My mother was reading it to me when I was 5 and had to go and answer the phone just as she got to the part where Black Beauty is put in the filed and the train goes past. I got so impatient I picked up the book and discovered I could read it myself.

I can still remember that incredible moment when the words made sense and reread Black Beauty so many times I could recite pages off by heart.

Soooo many! First loves - The Enchanted Wood/Magic Wishing Chair series. Also another Blyton called Hollow Tree House. And The Secret Mountain.

The Ladybird version of The Three Billy Goats Gruff - I managed to find an old copy for my kids and they love those illustrations too.

Anyone remember the Happy Hollisters series? Loved them.

What Katy Did was another, along with Heidi - I have my mum's copy, which my daughter will soon be given to read.

Ballet Shoes - I so wanted to go for a walk along the Edgware Road and 'save the penny'.

The Didakoi by Rumer Godden. The books about Lizzie Dripping. The Malory Towers and St Clare's series.

I'll stop now. It's beginning to sound like I didn't have a life as a child, and sat, pale and unwanted, in my lonely window, reading about friends, instead of having them.

I'll stop now. It's beginning to sound like I didn't have a life as a child, and sat, pale and unwanted, in my lonely window, reading about friends, instead of having them.
That's me now! :D

As a child I had a beautifully illustrated book of fairy tales which I adored.

I loved a number of books mentioned above - Black Beauty, Heidi, The Enchanted Wood. I particularly loved The Secret Garden by Francis Hodgson-Burnett. My copy was a red book with gold-leaf inlaid writing on the cover - I remember feeling I owned something dead posh.

I have just thought of a book I loved, and lost, as a child. I can't remember what it was called, but it was some sort of anthology, I believe, although not a thick one. I particularly loved a story-poem from the frontispiece, which was highly illustrated. The poem began

Phyllida Phoebe kept pigs in a wood,

Timothy, Thomas and little Boy Joe

which is all I remember :dunce:

and in this instance, Google is not my friend :(

I did find another copy of it when I was in my early twenties, but that also did a disappearing act.

In a similar position to you meg, I had a big compendium of short stories and poems that my dad used to read out to me, and one poem was our favourite which began:

"If I had a penny lad, here's what I'd buy

I'd buy..."

That's all I remember and like you, google has not been my friend. I would love to find that poem again.

the magic faraway tree, the mallory towers books, famous five, the wishing chair, naughty amelia jane, what katy did..... i had these read to me until i could correct the reading of every word and when i was old enough i read them myself over and over and over again.

there was another book that we had read to us at school that had a powerful impact on me at the time. i think it was called the silver sword. the main character was a boy called jan. i have no idea who it was by though.

i grew up seeing both parents reading all the time and they read to me from birth. i can't remember a time when reading wasnt a major part of my life.

eta: thinking about these prompted me to go looking for the silver sword - it was written by Ian Serraillier and apparently is a bit of a classic. i shall have to search it out and see if it is as good as i remember.