Sign in to follow this  
Cathy

What Manga is 'in' right now?

I've been shopping for Manga for my library yesterday and slightly dispairing that a lot of the series I was looking for seem to be disappearing from the shelves & I don't know what is currently 'in' for teen + young manga readers at the moment, can anyone help me get up to date? I was looking for things like

DragonBall

Bleach

Faeries Landing

Fruits Basket

Get Backers

Hack//

Initial D

Ironfist Chinmi

Junk Force

Naruto (one of the few I found)

Rebound

Yonen Buzz

Yu-Gi-Oh

As far as I knew all pretty big series and I'm used to not seeing the number in the series i want but not used to not seeing any!! Am I way out of date or is Waterstones just being weird?

PS there was also a really unfriendly sign on one of the manga stands saying please only take the one you want off the shelf, and to put others back in order - the area didn't seem particularly messy, I can't help feeling the sign was aimed at younger shoppers and would put kids off looking at books which is really frustrating! Ho-hum.

It's not my area of expertise so I'll let a fellow librarian list the manga series she stocks:

Alice 19 - Watase, Yu

Alien Nine - Tomizawa, Hitoshi

Angelic Layer - CLAMP

Azumanga Daioh - Azuma, Kiyohiko

Brain Powered - Sugisaki, Yukiru

Case Closed - Aoyama, Gosho

Comic Party - ~

Desert Coral - Murayama, Wataru

Dragon Arms - Hutchison, David

The Dreaming - Chan, Queenie

Fruits Basket - Takay, Natsuki

Full Metal Panic - Gatou, Shouji

Fullmetal Alchemist - Arakawa, Hiromu

Fushigi Yugi - Watase, Yu

Genshiken - Shimoku, Kio

Inuyasha - Takahashi, Rumiko

Jing, King of Bandits - Kumakura, Yuichi

Kekkaishi - Tanabe, Yellow

Last Hope - Dignan, Michael

Nadesico - Asamiya, Kia

Naruto - Kishimoto, Masashi

Oh My Goddess! - Fujishima, Kosuke

Ranma 1/2 - Takahashi, Rumiko

Real Bout High School - Saiga, Reiji

Strawberry Marshmallow - Barasui

What’s Michael - Kobayashi, Makato

Thanks Adrian, that's really helpful & there are a lot of titles on that list I haven't even heard of :o . That's a really good blog link too, bookmarking that one for sure! :flowers: Thanks Adrian!

Hi Cathy,

I'm really into manga and anime so know quite a bit about a lot of them. Any particular genre that you wish for?

Bleach, one piece and naruto are literally the biggest at the moment. A useful website is http://www.onemanga.com where u can actually read the mangas there if u want a taste for what they are like.

Most of the other mangas you named are quite old now. One I really like at the moment is Gin Tama which is quite big. Fullmetal Alchemist was big before not so much now but still ongoing. Any questions just pm me

Most of the other mangas you named are quite old now.

:o oh dear! That's just what I was worried about!!

I'm really into manga and anime so know quite a bit about a lot of them. Any particular genre that you wish for?

Any genres as long as they are suitable for teenagers (I'm a high school librarian), I do get stuff that's for older teens but anything that's suitable for all ages particularly is great because my youngest customers at 11 years old & I need things to entice them into the genre & not all of them have heard of it before.

PS oh my gosh, Naruto no.464??? I've only got up to no. 4!!!! I suppose the best I can do is offer a selection and set people on their way to Manga fandom!

As mentioned Naruto, Bleach and One Piece are ones that any manga fan would know. These I would say are sure hits because they're the ones that most manga fans would want to read first when the buy the jump magazine (which is like a big comic book in Japan)

Naruto is in an action with a quite a bit of humour involved genre that I would say is suitable for all ages.

Bleach the same as well action and probably funnier than naruto again suitable for all ages.

One piece the same as above but humour being more silly like. Artistic drawing is also quite different as well.

There are 2 types of manga - shonen and shojo. Shonen having the main character as a guy n thus more focused towards the male audience. Shojo being the opposite. As said if you wanna read a little about them yourself you can go to onemanga.com or you can even watch the anime of them (which is like the book turned into a tv series) on youtube

Full metal alchemist

Death note

Prince of Tennis

Slam Dunk

Yakitate! Japan

Love Hina

Suzuka

School Rumble

Ouran High School Host Club

Clannad

Air

Da Capo

These are all big mangas. The ones at the top of the list are more towards guys while the ones from Love Hina downwards would be more towards girls. But all manga can be read by both genders equally. Hope that helps.

Thanks for all your help Vak. I've been trying to find a Manga series I might enjoy but haven't succeeded so far! I even asked in Forbidden Planet if they had any Sci Fi Manga an older reader like me might enjoy and they drew a blank.

I feel a teensy bit like the guy in this cartoon -

http://www.unshelved.com/archive.aspx?strip=20091005

(click through to the next one and one after that, it went on over 3 days)

I feel a teensy bit like the guy in this cartoon -

http://www.unshelved.com/archive.aspx?strip=20091005

(click through to the next one and one after that, it went on over 3 days)

I thought of you when I read that, Cathy!

Unfortunately, the link doesn't want to work, and I can't find one that does. I would recommend going to http://www.unshelved.com and looking back at the strip for MOnday 5th October, 2009.