Sign in to follow this  
My Friend Jack

Jelleyman's Thrown a Wobbly

My boss was on an aeroplane, returning from holiday. He noticed that the bloke in the next seat was reading this book, and asked him if it was any good. "Well, I'm only halfway through, but to show you how good it is, you can have my copy right now!"

My boss didn't get that far before he gave it to me.

Essentially, the book tells the story behind the Saturday afternoon show on Sky Sports 1, Soccer Saturday. It's essential viewing for me if Reading are away, and almost every football supporter I know feels the same (not about Reading being away, about Soccer Saturday!). None of which means that the book will be any good. Based on my boss's recommendation, I couldn't wait to start - car crash attraction, I guess. Anyway, I'm 3 chapters in, and so far, I'm quite enjoying it - but the chapters are very short. Stelling is very good on TV, but the written word is not his strong point. Even so, it's not that bad - yet. I will provide an update when I've finished...

Well, I have now finished and can report that the book is nowhere nearly as bad as my boss had suggested. I certainly found a few laugh-aloud moments. Not a masterpiece, but a very easy and mostly amusing read. Nevertheless, I would only recommend it if you actually watch Soccer Saturday, as much of the humour does rely on the reader knowing the various characters who have been on the panel.