Sign in to follow this  
nospacesallowed

Football Anyone ???

I was going to post this in the Reading thread but it seems more of a general observation...

Do you Reading fans want to get back into the Premiership or would you rather be a good championship team away from all the obscene money and hype?

The reason I ask is that, as a Blackburn fan, I'm sick and tired of being in the Premier League. The money is sickening, the cost of tickets outrageous, the gulf between the top four and the rest is awful and the continual battle against relegation we face with no real hope of progression just makes the whole thing pointless.

I have to say I've hardly been to a game since we got promoted (yes that long!).

Another Blackburn fan here, but I have to say I would rather be in the Premiership than the Championship. The last time we went down a league I struggled for two years going to games that were uninspiring, to watch our team go down to their level of play. The only games that stand out are those against Burnley (reference to your comment JdE on the Reading thread). Firstly because we thumped them good and proper on the pitch, which was great, but secondly because it caused so much trouble in both towns, which was very bad. On both occasions the trouble was caused by Burnley followers - I would say fans but true fans are not usually like that.

However, back to the question you posed JdE, I love having those top Premiership teams visiting Ewood Park if only to see their footballing skills displayed before my eyes. Yes, it can be discouraging when we get beaten 4-0 (or maybe more - I am dreading Sunday against Chelsea if they are on top form) but Oh! the joy when we beat ManU 1-0 (as we have) or draw with Arsenal 0-0 (as we have). Those are the days when you feel it is all worthwhile.

I bet if you asked Hull or West Brom fans whether they are happy to be in the Premiership they would say they have had a great season watching the teams from the upper tier of that league on their own turf and would not change it for the world. Have we any Hull or West Brom fans amongst us to confirm or deny this?

I do agree with your JdE about seat prices. The higher up the league you go the more costly are those games. It has almost become obscene at Chelsea, Arsenal, ManU and Liverpool (to name but a few). If they are not careful, football clubs will price themselves out of the market. However, I have had a season ticket for 17 years at Ewood, and now that I am a Senior Citizen, the price is reasonable for the Premiership. I hate to think what it would be if I were in London or Manchester though even as a Senior Citizen.

Front page news in our Lancashire Telegraph today is that Blackburn Rovers season ticket prices start at £10 per game. This means season tickets start at £199 (£100 less than last year). Amazing. The club are slashing season ticket prices to what they hope will be affordable levels in these cash strapped times and I for one applaud the club for doing it. It is a huge gamble and it remains to be seen whether the local supporters and fans take up this amazing offer.

The club had an offer of £20 ticket for the final three home games (that's three games for £20) and that was taken up by 4000 people, so the support is there provided the price is right.

Not only have they offered a great price (in my opinion) but they are moving the away supporters to the upper tier at the Darwen End which means we get home supporters all round the pitch now. They have done this for the last two homes games. I have not been to these games because of my hospital incarceration and convalescence, but MOH tells me the atmosphere is great this way.

Obviously the club will have to reduce their players' salary bill otherwise I cannot see how they can afford it. So I think Santa Cruz will be going - if only we can get somewhere near the £20m that would be great but I have my doubts now.

I was going to post this in the Reading thread but it seems more of a general observation...

Do you Reading fans want to get back into the Premiership or would you rather be a good championship team away from all the obscene money and hype?

The reason I ask is that, as a Blackburn fan, I'm sick and tired of being in the Premier League. The money is sickening, the cost of tickets outrageous, the gulf between the top four and the rest is awful and the continual battle against relegation we face with no real hope of progression just makes the whole thing pointless.

I have to say I've hardly been to a game since we got promoted (yes that long!).

I think I may have posted on here before (if not I certainly have done on the Reading FC fansite) that I was really in 2 minds about the conclusion to this season. I wanted to feel the glory of promotion by whatever means but I think it would have been short-lived joy.

We have a terrific bunch of youngsters at the club, at least 13 of whom have been out on loan this (well last) season and, in the main, getting very good reviews from those clubs' supporters.

If we had gone up, those young players would hardly have got a game for us in the PL.

The old guard failed to achieve promotion and, in many cases, will now be offloaded; the young players must now be given a chance to build their careers at Reading.

Providing we don't enter a relegation dog fight or (God forbid) sink without trace, then I feel sure that the process of properly blooding these ex-Academy players will result in a far more rewarding season (for me) than if we had been playing in the PL.

I hope the new manager will be a guy who is happy to get involved on this basis and NOT have promotion as the No 1 target for 2009/10 - consolidation and building for the future is what it should be about I suspect.

As a small-ish but financially stable club, no longer reliant upon Madejski's money to keep us going, we are very well-placed to ride out the ultimate impact of this recession than other clubs, and have already started to pick up more young players from other clubs (Southampton for e.g.) who have had to curtail their Academies because of financial pressures.

For that process to pay its ultimate dividends we HAVE to get these young men in the 1st team - we will then be a very attractive proposition for all young players in the South of England.

And yes, I hate the hype, the prima donnas, the cheating, the interview everybody even though they have absolutely nothing to say crap that come with being in the PL...

As with so many things in life, it's not so much being there, it's more the journey there that provides the fun. But you can't have the successful Championship campaign without then spending time in the PL, of course. Despite finishing 4th (Reading's 6th most succesful season ever, according to Sky, although I'm still not sure that's correct), this last season was not actually that much fun. At the start of the season, our home form was terrific but we were poor away. After Christmas it was the other way round, but it meant that throughout the season we were never putting a good run together. More than that, though, we were not playing decent football. Players who have proved themselves at PL level were struggling to cope with the different pressures of the Championship, and any comparison with the team of 3 years earlier was like champagne v Tesco plonk. It was always clear that if we did go up, the squad that got us there would need significant strengthening. But despite all that, we still finished 4th!

So I'm kind of on the fence here. I want the Royals to be successful, and that means getting back to the PL, and staying there. But I want the journey to get there to be fun, and if we had beaten Burnley last week and Sheff U this weekend, it would not alter the fact that most of this season was a grind. And next season would probably be a lot worse.

So, whilst I am very sorry to see Coppell leave (and I was surprised to discover that I was more upset at his departure than I was at losing to Burnley), I agree with RR's view that this is a chance to make a fresh start, and do things properly. I don't envy Nick Hammond and Sir John Madejski, though. Finding the right man to replace Coppell will not be easy.

To finish, I agree with JdE and RR about the hype and everything that surrounds the PL. We weren't there long enough for that to have too much effect, but I remember the first home game this season, after 2 years in the PL, and listening to the local BBC commentators saying how different things were from the previous 2 years. They were actually referring to the lack of people in the media suite and the drop in catering standards, but the point was well made. The thing I noticed, though, was the way we went from having a mention in the sports pages of the national dailies almost every day whilst in the PL, to almost disappearing off the face of the Earth after relegation. Supporters of long-standing PL clubs who have dropped down a level or two (Southampton, Coventry, Leeds, Norwich and a number of others) must have found that really hard.

So - the end of another season of football - except the playoffs and cup finals.

I was looking at the Premiership table and thinking back to the days when I first took an interest in football - principally the early 1980s. It made me realise just how much the football landscape had changed, even though it appears to change so little year on year.

Just for interest, here is the First Division (when it really was the first division) table for 1982-83, the first year I really took an interest:

1. Liverpool

2. Watford

3. Manchester United

4. Tottenham Hotspur

5. Nottingham Forest

6. Aston Villa

7. Everton

8. West Ham United

9. Ipswich Town

10. Arsenal

11. West Bromwich Albion

12. Southampton

13. Stoke City

14. Norwich City

15. Notts County

16. Sunderland

17. Birmingham City

18. Luton Town

19. Coventry City

20. Manchester City

21. Swansea City

22. Brighton and Hove Albion

No Chelsea (18th, Div 2); no Newcastle (5th, Div 2); no Fulham (4th, Div 2); no Bolton (22nd, Div 2); no Portsmouth (1st, Div 3). For those who are interested, the promoted teams from the 2nd Division that season were QPR, Wolves and Leicester.

Of course, at the time, I assumed that this was the natural order as it had always been and always would be. Liverpool would be for ever unassailable. That first division teams would always be first division teams and that second division teams would always be second division teams. It was also one of those brief windows in history when teams other than Celtic and Glasgow Rangers were able to win the Scottish league.

Only 11 of those 22 took part in this season's PL.

Next season, 6 will be in the Championsip, 3 in League 1, and one each in League 2 and the Blue Square thingy.

It was around this time that Maxwell announced he was taking over Reading and merging us with Oxgord to form a new club to be called Thames Valley Royals. Dark days, but without that particular problem, I doubt that Smee and then Madejski would ever have been involved, and we would probably be languishing alongside Notts County... or even Oxford!

Come on you Blades this afternoon. It's the only way, if they get promoted, that I can see my Gunners live these days.

Come on you Blades this afternoon. It's the only way, if they get promoted, that I can see my Gunners live these days.
I had not thought of that chuntzy. In that case I will be cheering for them for your sake. :arms: As I've said before, I'm just not sure about Burnley being in the Premiership and coming to Blackburn again!

I had not thought of that chuntzy. In that case I will be cheering for them for your sake. :arms: As I've said before, I'm just not sure about Burnley being in the Premiership and coming to Blackburn again!

The Blades were v v poor today and Burnley were well deserved winners. Whow, Barblue, you've got enough teams in Lancashire to have 'enjoyable' derbies.

The Blades were v v poor today and Burnley were well deserved winners. Whow, Barblue, you've got enough teams in Lancashire to have 'enjoyable' derbies.
Actually, I was hoping Preston would get through the play-offs. There is a lot of history behind the rivalry between Rovers and Burnley and though nobody has been able to explain it to me it seems to survive down the years and manifests itself in some very ugly behaviour when the two teams meet.

I thought Arsenal and Spurs were rivals when I lived in London (still do because my family are divided in their surpport) but that is polite and refined compared to the animosity locals here seem to harbour between Rovers and Burnley.

Commiserations. Maybe you could make it to London next season and see the Gunners live.

One of my step sons was at Wembly supporting Burnley today, so he'll be well chuffed. (Not sure why he was supporting Burnley, they're not his team :confused: )

...you've got enough teams in Lancashire to have 'enjoyable' derbies.

Ironic, though, to see Burnley doing a victory tour in a York sightseeing bus with a white rose on the side of it.

Did anyone else spot West Brom's Paul Robinson's quote in ysterday's papers? "I'm 30 and I've got to the stage where I can't face playing in the Championship again." :rolleyes:

Oops! It seems the Linfield captain, William "Winkie" Murphy has been remanded in custody in Spain for seeking to introduce forged currency into the country. If convicted, he faces a mandatory minimum 8 year sentence.

But the really daft thing is that he was arrested for this two years ago and skipped bail. Then he went back to Spain on holiday.

Different Paul Robinson. The one you're talking about is at Blackburn.

From the little I saw of PL football he was back to his very best at the end of the season. Let's hope he can really push on now as we could really do with someone better than David James in the England shirt.

Having watched Paul Robinson at all Rovers home games last season I for one cannot understand why he is not in the England squad. He is certainly back to his best and is a very commanding presence in goal. I hope he gets the call soon.