Sign in to follow this  
nospacesallowed

Football Anyone ???

Having seen Fulham at Ewood on Saturday, I have to say they are inept. Which just puts into perspective how I feel about the fact that we only drew with them. Rovers were not even at the game, our whole team's attitude was wrong and they all deserve a pay cut! :grumble:

Unlucky any Arsenal supporters out, there....for we are top of the table again!

How many points to Derby have? I don't think they'll beat the record this year....it's 15 set by urhm....I can't remember...S-s-s-something.

Well you did'nt need to worry. A comfortable win.
Thanks, Mac - didn't ignore your response, I've just not been able to get online for a few days. I'm not sure the Inter player deserved to be sent off but hey, that's the way it goes though :D

Reviving this thread because for me the season starts today. That is to say I am about to leave for Ewood Park to watch a friendly against NAC Breda - at this moment I am asking myself Why?

It is raining - has been all morning. The damp and cold will do my arthritis no good. The stadium will probably only have a few hundred hardy supporters in it. And lastly, NAC Who?

On the bright side, now I am a fully fledged Senior Citizen season ticket holder, the tickets only cost £5 each! ;)

So, I've got my waterproofs out and filled my flask with tea - Into the breach dear friends, once more.

Looking forward to seeing how Reading start the season away at Forest tomorrow. (Live on Sky)

Unlike many of our "supporters" I am confident we will be challenging for Top 2. We have not added much to the squad yet and have lost Little, Kitson and Shorey but there should be enough cover around the squad to cope with what the Championship can throw at us. (Plus it seems highly likely that a new left back will be in place soon to full Shorey's position.)

One thing's for sure, with the money not spent during the 2 years in the Premier League, £11m parachute payments for next 2 years and the money not spent from the above-mentioned sales we are a pretty wealthy club these days (comparitively).

As Derby and other carry on spending and hiking up their wage bills they are surely dicing with death. I look forward to a few more administrations in the next 2 or 3 years as recession (virtual or actual) impacts on football's irresponsible big spenders. Whicever division we find ourselves in, whilst John Madejski is at the helm Reading FC won't be amongst them.

Classiest player of the season will be Marek Matejovsky - with the greater space and time afforded in the CCC that boy is going to show some class.

Doyle and Lita will score 40+ between them.

Oh well, fingers crossed and good luck to Blackburn and all others out there....

PS I think Blackburn are heading for a bad bad season if truth be told and may well end the season with only the 3 promoted clubs below them. Sorry and all that but it doesn't seem like Ince has started off too well...

Have to agree with you RR after watching the display today. Okay, so the rain and cold didn't help my attitude, but to be honest we were not good.

First half there seemed to be no drive from midfield and no attack. Second half was a little better, especially when they bought on Tugay. We did manage to fashion a goal, and it was well worked, but it's just not enough in the Premiership.

Been watching quite a lot of Arsenal lately - MOH hasn't missed a game on TV - not sure what Wenger's up to with all these youngsters, but there seems to be a lot lacking at the moment. Hope they improve when the season gets underway next weekend.

Best wishes to Reading - we will be watching tomorrow. Hope you make it back next season by being top of the league. Just hope we are still there to meet up again.

I've just looked at the 4th Division table and seen Luton on -30 points (yes, that's minus thirty). I'm sure they must have done something heinous to deserve that, but what's the point of the punishment? Unless they play like champions, they will be relegated - and I guess they won't attract many champion-like players with that kind of a millstone. And there is no real excitement for fans when they know their club is doomed from the outset - no hint of a challenge; jockeying for position with other clubs; faint glimmers of hope over the Christmas season; etc. If they wanted to relegate the club, they should have just done that and at least give them something to play for this season.

Well, I reckon there are about 20 teams in the Championship who have aspirations of a Top 6 finish, and there are a dozen or so who should be worried about relegation! Everything I saw of Birmingham, Sheffield United, Nottingham Forest and Reading suggests it could be a very close campaign.

I was pleased to hear the Sky commentators giving some recognition to the fact that Reading still have 75% of the promotion squad from 3 seasons ago.

I was talking to a Forest supporter this morning who reckoned his team should have won. Had they managed to take a shot at goal from less than 20 yards, they might have scored, but there was never a point where that looked likely. At the other end, Reading managed one good attempt at goal, producing a terrific save from the Forest keeper who was lucky enough to push Doyle's attempt onto the crossbar.

I agree with RR on the financial side of the game. I predict relegation (again) for Derby, followed by administration.

As for Luton, they committed 2 sins - illicit payments, going into administration and not coming out of administration properly. Rotherham and Bournemouth did the latter two as well, which is why they started on -17. Throwing all 3 out of the league was simply not possible because of the effect it would have on the league structures at such short notice. The reason that clubs get docked points is that the alternatives (fining them could put such clubs out of business and in any case, a fine usually punishes the wrong people) are inappropriate. Remember how upset people were when Leicester got into financial difficulties and then reformed as a new company, having given 2 fingers to the various companies they owed money to? That's why the new rules were introduced, to ensure that clubs that are not run efficiently don't get an advantage from their financial profligacy. Besides, Luton have a horrible stadium.

I reckon Reading will be lucky if they reach 1st or 2nd. If they reach the playoffs I think they'll win them depending on which other teams are involved.

Birmingham will come high. Same same for Notts For. and Sheffield United.

As for the Premiership, I hope Manchester United win. Chelsea will come close, Arsenal too. Liverpool are looking like a pretty strong side at the moment and so are some other teams, I think we may see a few shock wins maybe even a shocking top 4 this year.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F8oN58cyp2c

Steve McLaren's recent interview on Dutch TV complete with Dutch/SvenGE accent.

If you haven't seen this before - prepare for a rare treat. The opening couple of minutes are tear-inducingly hilarious!

If they reach the playoffs I think they'll win them depending on which other teams are involved.

You sure about that? ;)

I notice that the various pieces of video that were available on YouTube this morning showing Reading's first goal against Watford on Saturday have now been withdrawn becuase of a potential breach of the Football League's copyright. It's nice to know that the authorities are able to employ a smart legal time, despite not being able to find officials who know the difference between arse and elbow.

Never has there been such a compelling case for allowing referees access to video. The League have been left with a total embarrassment which - had the referee been able to view the incident again at the time - would have resulted in a corner kick, and the whole incident would have been forgotten within moments.

It really is farcical that the FA are able to over-rule decisions made by referees in the heat of the moment (John Terry's red card last week) without giving the benefit of second sight.

We all make mistakes, even refs and umpires. All should be encouraged to give an explanation of why they came to their decisions. That would be far healthier than silence, cover-ups and legal dodges. As long as they don't make too many aberrations, this would earn the officials a degree of respect.

I am a footie freak and my favorite team from England is Chelsea.

Chelsea is my favorite because?

-Chelsea have more players who belong to England and i love English player.Becks was my favorite after he went to Real Madrid though my current favorite player is Frank Lampard(Chelsea) & Steven Gerrard(Liverpool).ManChester United ( i don't like this club) RIVAL :P:P

Life's too short! 6ea2ef7311b482724a9b7b0bc0dd85c6.gif

As a Blackburn fan (though I admit my interest, certainly in Premier League football, as waned hugely these last three or four years) I'm kind of excited by the appointment of Sam Allardyce.

I admit I didn't want him at the start of the season but what he did for Bolton cannot be ignored and I think he is probably the best man for a club the size of ours with the resources we have (i.e. bugger all).

Like you JDE I didn't want Sam in the summer. Yesterday I wasn't happy either. But I have just watched his live press conference on Sky and have to admit he talks a good game. I will be at Ewood on Saturday as usual and hope to see him put at least some of his good words into use. I realise he will not have had long to win the hearts and minds of the players, so I hope the players realise how much they are to blame and pull out all the stops for him - and the supporters who spend so much of their hard earned cash to watch them play!

As an aside I think it is a tragedy that Paul Ince didn't make the grade quickly enough for not only the club, but for what is expected in the Premier League. As John Williams has just said on Sky, one day I think Paul will make a great manager in any division.

As John Williams has just said on Sky, one day I think Paul will make a great manager in any division.

Like Macclesfield or Milton Keynes?

I was similarly surprised to see a comment in a daily newspaper earlier this week, suggesting that Ince's first attempt at football management was about to draw to a premature end.

Indeed. At least Ince was successful in his first two management jobs.

Good start for Big Sam!

And the Royals move into the top two with a superb performance at Birmingham.