Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Nominations for the next book

The current format worked well for a long time but somewhere along the way people just didn't read the chosen book and so there was little discussion of it. It's in hiatus for now, and much as I'd like to just say, 'XXXXXX by YYYYY' is the next book I don't think I have the knowledge of what people want to read to be able to do that.

This might be random, but to kick-start it I have in my head a prime number between 1 and 10. Anyone and everyone nominate a book and when my number's reached, that's the next book.

I'll take number 1 so you know that's not it: The White Tiger.

Maybe because it's the summer holiday period in the UK this thread seems to have ground to a halt again.

Despite that fact I thought of recommending The Scourging Angel: the Black Death in the British Isles by Benedict Gummer. Having read Company of Liars by Karen Maitland set around this period in history I am intrigued by this book and probably looking for an excuse to buy it.

Apart from that I would also like an excuse to buy and read The Other Elizabeth Taylor by Nicola Bearman. Having read several of Elizabeth Taylor's novels and enjoyed them I am fascinated to know more about this woman's life.

If it all comes to nought here I still might get these two anyway. :o

Are we counting those as 2 numbers, Adrian? If not I may slip a quick suggestion in to move us past 4 to get to the next possible number.

Thought these posts should be split from the 'vote for Magic Realism' thread into a thread of their own. It might get a bit more attention that way.

A book that's just been chosen by my RL book club: Wally Lamb "The Hour I First Believed"

My prime number was 5 so Wally Lamb "The Hour I First Believed" is the book. Does anyone even care? Even in the slightest?

But that's number 6 (or possibly 7 if we counted both of Barblue's, as I noted earlier).

Once we've clarified the book perhaps people could indicate if they would be interested in taking part to see if it's worth pressing on.

Whilst I know the whole thing has stalled in recent months I suspect votes are a better way to go in that at least it demonstrates a clear preference by people for a particular book.

Maybe an idea for the future is to go with new releases - often they have more allure so there could be greater interest.

But that's number 6 (or possibly 7 if we counted both of Barblue's, as I noted earlier).

So it is. I'm apparently as interested in this as most others.

Once we've clarified the book perhaps people could indicate if they would be interested in taking part to see if it's worth pressing on.

Whilst I know the whole thing has stalled in recent months I suspect votes are a better way to go in that at least it demonstrates a clear preference by people for a particular book.

Maybe an idea for the future is to go with new releases - often they have more allure so there could be greater interest.

I'll stick with my number and so, counting both of Barblue's that would make it Netherland by Joseph O'Neill.

I'm not sure votes do help in gauging numbers. Sometimes the number of different people who posted was less than the number who voted.

Indications of interest most welcome.

I have had a look at the reviews for this book on Amazon and they are a very mixed bunch. Maybe this will make it a very interesting read for our group. Since it mentions cricket and ice-hockey in one of the reviews I am sold on the idea already!!

Netherland is on my I sort of want to read it but I'm not convinced that I really could be bothered list, so if the book group does go for it, I'll probably read it and join in. If I realise ;)

If you go ahead with it (I sense a commitment problem here ;) ) please PM me and I'll bookdepository myself a copy.

"Netherland"'s on the pile so I'd quite happily join in with that one, other reading commitments permitting.

Note to self: finish "...Bunny Munro"!

I think I could read that - but... when do I have to read it by because I have Home to read for my book club and my TBR is huge right now (curse the 10p for any book sale at my local second-hand shop)

I think we should vote on possible reads rather than any other method. At least, then, the majority can read whatever it is.

The Costa shortlist will be published soon. At some point, we could possibly vote on which shortlisted book to read.

Just a thought...

I'm still interested in this group although I still have a couple of books waiting to be read from earlier (which isn't good).

I wouldn't mind reading Netherland.

I like the idea of reading shortlisted books from book prizes although I can always afford hardbacks.

How about doing a whole shortlist (over a few months) and finding out if we agreed with the judges?

I wouldn't mind reading "Netherland". However, I really like the shortlist idea, as well. I haven't been on here for a while so I don't think my word is as important as that of others. Just wanted to say.

I'd like to join in and would read anything because I want to broaden my horizons and saying I won't read something sort of defeats the purpose.

Saying that I understand the idea of a shortlist and think that is a good fair way to determine and make sure participation is active.

In fact we've had a bit of discussion about renewing the Book Group, WrongIslander. You can see the discussion here. Glad to hear you're someone else interested in taking part in future reads, so watch this space!

(Or a space very close to it...)

In fact the new nominations thread has just been opened by tagesmann, LMB. You can see it here. Of course there's no reason why any of these books shouldn't be nominated there, but I'm closing this thread now to avoid confusion.