Sign in to follow this  
My Friend Jack

Thank You For The Days

Having just finished Phil Stant's account of his days in the Army and English football, I have now made a start on Mark Radcliffe's reminiscences on some of the more eventful days in his life. The link between the two is that both hail from Bolton.

I've always liked Radcliffe. I often listened to his Radio 1 evening show with Marc Riley in the mid-90s when I was in the car. Their joint career took a bit of a tumble when they were moved across to the breakfast show, but Radcliffe now presents a 2-hour show, 4 nights a week on Radio 2, with Stuart Maconie. It is, quite easily, the best music programme on the radio in 2009.

Each chapter in this book is headed, "The Day I..." and each deals with a momentous occasion in his life. Meeting David Bowie, first day in the 6th form, going to Uni, and so on. His style of writing is very much along the lines of his radio presentation, except you don't get the "Errrrrrr..." which characterise his radio shows.

Very enjoyable.