Sign in to follow this  
Minxminnie

The Broons' Days Oot

One for the Scots among us - I believe there are a few. :P

This is another addition to the strangely successful series which started with the Maw Broon's Cookbook. It looks like a bit of a novelty buy, but its actually a surprisingly comprehensive wee guidebook aimed at "staycationers" rather than visitors as most guidebooks are.

Rather than taking a geographical approach, as most guidebooks do, it is arranged in a more thematic way, with sections on art galleries, camping, "When it's wet" (I wonder why??) etc, as well as sections on particular areas such as Glencoe or Arran.

It sells for £7.99, which compares really well to other guidebooks, and I think it's more user-friendly. It comes with a tourist map of Scotland in the back and a couple of offers for National Trust for Scotland and Historic Scotland, which would make the book pay for itself.

Of course, you need to be able to cope with the idiosyncratric Broons style. It's done as if inspired by Horace's school project, and it's laid out as a scrapbook, mostly in the voices of the various Broons themselves. (I haven't discovered if Bairn gets a word in!)

(For any Sassenachs who have read this far - Jings, Crivvens, I mean you, David! :) - The Broons are a comic strip family who appear weekly in the Sunday Post. They're a bit of an institution up here. More on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Broons)

Naw, ah doan't hink sae. That's a state secret!

(Didn't you always wonder how they could afford a holiday home?)

Please kind mod, can you put the missing apostrophe into the thread title? :o

Well, it wasn't terribly plush - didn't it have an ootside loo? So I never wondered, I usually just wondered how they all fitted into 10 Glebe Street. Magical tenement.

That said, I much preferred the Oor Wullie year.

That said, I much preferred the Oor Wullie year.

No, I was a Broons girl. Loved the Naked Video sketch with Elaine C Smith as the Bairn - "Me's been wearin the same dress for forty year!"

Thanks for the apostrophe ...

In Lewis, even until the 1970s, croft farmers took their sheep up onto Acha Mor for six weeks during the summer. Each family had a shieling (small and flimsy house with no electricity or water) up there where the entire family would stay for the six weeks save for the one day when all the families would go off to Stornoway Carnival. Some of the derelict shielings are still there today - one I remember was just a chimney stack.

Each family had a shieling (small and flimsy house with no electricity or water)

Kathleen Jamie talks about the shielings in her book Findings. The shielings she mentions are in Fife.

Shielings and shieling grounds, were the high summer pastures, the places where the cattle were driven to graze on the fresh grass for the few weeks at the top of the year. The word refers to both the grounds and the shelters the people bulit for themselves for the duration.

I was born in Dundee, home of D C Thompson, publishers of The Broons and Oor Wullie. The stories were always the same just updated to include whatever was current in world. Christmas would never have been the same without them.

I've not heard of these new books Minxminnie, thanks for posting.

I was born in Dundee, home of D C Thompson, publishers of The Broons and Oor Wullie.

Ah, I wondered about the username!

A friend of mine had her son shortly after moving from Tayport to London, and he has "Tay" as his middle name (and a "Made in Scotland" badge from me... :) )