Sign in to follow this  
Hazel

Where do you buy your comics?

As I normally buy collected volumes, I tend to buy them from Amazon, along with all my other books. Occasionally, I'll buy them from Forbidden Planet, but that is an expensive way to buy the collected volumes. Recently, in trying to track down the second issue of Cleaners, I came across an American site called ThingsFromAnotherWorld.com. They really are very good. Super fast delivery, cheap comics and books, and cheap accessories. I just bought 100 poly comic-bags from them for $4, the very same is £9.99 in Forbidden Planet. Their regular email newsletters are interesting and wide-ranging. I definitely recommend them.

Usually mine are from play.com, being an employee I have the advantage of getting a discount on my purchases :) I'm finding more and more these days though that I buy from either Amazon marketplace or Playtrade (play.com equivalent of marketplace). These are usually much cheaper than amazon or play, and most of the time are brand new or in new condition.

We have a market stall in our city centre that also sells comics. I'll occasionally buy from here if I can't find what I'm after elsewhere, but his prices are nearly double what amazon/play sell for.

When I worked in the centre of London, I would often browse in Borders (OxfordStreet) but rarely bought any of the collections they stocked because they were so expensive. Then and now, I nearly always use Amazon.

When I was (a lot) younger I would make an annual pilgrimage to Forbidden Planet in London. Then Virgin Megastore in Brighton opened a Comics section and I could go there every other month and blow my wages on comics and records. When Virgin decided there was more money to be made from video games; the guy who ran the comics section opened his own store in the North Lanes and at about the same time Forbidden Planet opened a branch in Brighton.

We have a Forbidden Planet in Sheffield but I rarely visit it. I only buy collected editions or graphic novels now (and then only rarely) and can get better prices online.

I like going into Forbidden Planet, and wandering in the tiny, tiny, aisles. But yes, it is far too expensive. When I was younger, I loved A1 Comics in Glasgow, but a recent visit told me that its heyday was over. I find that Forbidden Planet changes its shelves too much. And the sorting order for the graphic novels makes little sense.

Used to be Amazon for collections, but nowadays I enjoy a trip into Bristol to Forbidden Planet and I always visit the huge Shaftesbury avenue branch if I'm in London, usually either coming from or heading too the (even more huge) Waterstones on Piccadily.