Sign in to follow this  
lunababymoonchild

American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer

In actual fact this was a joint effort by Kai Bird and Martin J Sherwin and is the biography of J Robert Oppenheimer.

At 599 pages this book is not the longest I've ever read but I do believe that it's the book I've taken the longest to read - four months. It took the authors 25 years to research and write it so I think that it deserves to be lingered over.

It certainly is fact packed, not only about Oppenheimer's life but the wider implications of the science and politics of the time. It took in the second world war, the McCarthy trials and the assassination of Robert Kennedy in addition to the scientific research, planning and actual building of the atomic bomb, not to mention it's repercussions.

I enjoyed it immensely and would recommend it to anyone who might be interested in how the atomic bomb came to be developed or even American politics at the time. I certainly learned a whole lot of things I didn't previously know.

Luna

There was quite an interesting documentary on BBC4 about him tonight - The Trials of Oppenheimer. Every black and white photo they showed of him looked like a study of deep melancholy.