I was going to post this in the "just bought" thread, but then I thought there was quite an interesting thread here.

I have had a quite dreadful week, and at lunchtime had a bit of a surf on a well known book website and had a binge and ordered a stack of books to make me feel better. It was self medication in the extreme!

I was wondering if anyone else does this. While I was choosing the books I was very picky about what I bought, I wanted something easy and quick and I wanted to go to a place that was very different to my own life. It wasn't until I thought about it afterwards that I realised how often I do that, buy books because I am stressed and use them as a way to relieve that stress.

I guess its better than drinking a bottle of vodka!

Good topic.

Agreed

I must admit I tend to binge buy books because the only chance I get to buy them is when I'm out shopping on my own which is quite rare. Well it's not that rare, but I'm usually buying purposefully at the weekends for things we need - much less time these days for leisure shopping :grumble: . If I go in a book shop I want to browse and window shop for ages, which just irritates MOH and stresses me out because I don't like to be rushed. Binge book buying always cheers me up if I'm a bit down.

I don't tend to buy online because I can never guarantee to be in to accept delivery.

Aha, I get around this by getting them deliverd to work. Means I have to lug the books home but it's worth it :)

Yes I've thought about that but I work on a very large site with over 3,500 people. Some of my colleagues have had deliveries go missing, so I decided against it.

I have my Tesco grocery shopping delivered because it comes at a guaranteed time and I guess I could add some books onto that order but Tescos isn't exactly brillant for books. I do enjoy a bit of mooching and browse time in a book shop - it's a little pleasure just for me.

Oh yes, online book buying definitely counts as retail therapy for me. It pays out twice, once with the purchase and then again with the delivery ("A present? For me? Just what I've always wanted!). For some reason I don't get the same buzz buying in a bookshop. I suspect it's something to do with knowing that I could have got them cheaper online, although I know I should support my local shop.

"A present? For me? Just what I've always wanted!

Ha ha! That made me smile!

I was just wondering about the online vs bookshop experience...

Yesterday it was great, I could get an instant fix online when I couldn't get o a bookshop. However, there is nothing like a good poke around a bookshop is there?

My hubby and I often go to Bath for short breaks, and there are a couple of absolutly stunning bookshops there. I look forward to those visits so much becuase the staff there are always willing to introduce me to some new authors and genres I haven't tried before. It's quite a different sort of satisfaction.

My hubby and I often go to Bath for short breaks, and there are a couple of absolutly stunning bookshops there.
I know, Bath's my nearest town! I assume you mean Mr B's and Topping & Co. They both opened fairly recently and are both doing pleasingly well. Topping's especially seem to have guest authors almost every night of the week.
Oh yes, online book buying definitely counts as retail therapy for me. It pays out twice, once with the purchase and then again with the delivery ("A present? For me? Just what I've always wanted!). For some reason I don't get the same buzz buying in a bookshop. I suspect it's something to do with knowing that I could have got them cheaper online, although I know I should support my local shop.
For me there is a third pay-out - buying at Amazon through BGO means I am helping to keep our wonderful book club going too. :)
I know, Bath's my nearest town! I assume you mean Mr B's and Topping & Co. They both opened fairly recently and are both doing pleasingly well. Topping's especially seem to have guest authors almost every night of the week.

Those are the ones. Have you ever had a Book Spa at Mr B's? I have had two as presents, and they are wonderful!

Those are the ones. Have you ever had a Book Spa at Mr B's? I have had two as presents, and they are wonderful!
I haven't, I fear for my purse too much! Great idea though, they've beedn very inventive with their marketing and services.
  • 4 weeks later...