Less Well-Known Band, Artist & Album Recommendations

Being a self confessed aging goth, the first new band of 2015 I have been taken with are Canadians Viet Cong https://soundcloud.com/jagjaguwar/sets/viet-conf-viet-cong-album-out, who have more than a touch of the likes of Bauhaus about them.

I'm also a self confessed lover of the early 1990s movement known dismissively as shoegazing (My Bloody Valentine and the like). The movement appears to have reached Russia, and Pinkshinyultrablast will be releasing their UK debut LP Everything Else Matters later this month. The video is here: http://youtu.be/z-cISmtXk1M

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something a little more gentle than my previous two recommendations. I had not realized that Olafur Arnalds, an Icelandic musician generally known for his semi-classical compositions, especially on the soundtrack of the TV series Broadchurch, had also collaborated on a more electronic record under the name Kiasmos. And very pleasant it is too...https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Kiasmos

In fact, for those who like a bit of post-rocking and neo-classical music in their lives, I can recommend much of what I've heard of the output of the label Arnalds for, Erased Tapes. Their website is here. I've listened and liked fellow Scandinavian minimalist Nils Frahm, ambient project A Winged Victory for the Sullen and US multi-instrumentalist Peter Broderick, who has a slightly folkier bent.  

Something a little more gentle than my previous two recommendations. I had not realized that Olafur Arnalds, an Icelandic musician generally known for his semi-classical compositions, especially on the soundtrack of the TV series Broadchurch, had also collaborated on a more electronic record under the name Kiasmos. And very pleasant it is too...https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Kiasmos

i like his side project kiasmos songs that i've heard, however i prefer the music of his cousin Olof Arnalds, she is on the bjork's one little indian label

• 4 months later...

I rate Courtney Barnett's work as well, and I'm not usually one for focusing on lyrics when I listen to music. Hers are really good though, witty and clever.

I'm also currently enjoying the work of 

Algiers - an extraordinary fusion of post-punk music and gospel vocals

Nadine Shah - takes cues from Anna Calvi, PJ Harvey and Nick Cave

Fear of Men - female fronted sensitive indie-pop as it should be done

The History of Apple Pie - yet another new shoegaze tip from me.

and, on a more electronic bent, Tourist, Dauwd, Daniel Avery, Slow Magic and Vessels.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Big Big Train - I was there.

Fantastic band and gig.

It's a long track but when the brass kicks in.... Oh my goodness!

They tell stories of very English things, closure of the shipbuilding yard at Swan Hunter, coal mining in Wales, beekeeping, the rescue of a ditched bomber thanks to the 120 miles flight of their pigeon Winkie, etc. etc. You get the picture. This track tells the tale of the building and first "flight" of Mallard.

Thanks for noticing!

Job change and heavier schedule partly due to Mrs RR giving up driving as a result of eye problem meant reading activities severely curtailed.

Hopefully 2 offspring should pass driving test in the next few weeks which might just mean I get some evenings back so maybe I'll pick up a thriller or 2 again...

• 9 months later...