Less Well-Known Band, Artist & Album Recommendations

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

Ok, let's get this thread moving again.

2 albums released recently within 6 months of each other by the hugely talented and quite wonderful Big Big Train.

They are a bit different. Almost all songs on these albums (and the previous 2 releases) are about work and traditions carried on in England and the English countryside. Shipbuilding, mining, stonemasons, underwater divers and tunnel builders, museums, butterfly collecting, steam locomotives, art forgery, child chimney sweeps, farming etc. etc., with particular focus on the fact that they are dying out.

They are very special.

Please don't be put off by the fact that, if you look them up, they will be classified as prog rock. (For some reason that DOES put some people off!)

ee1.jpg

8533151239_41c74a63b3.jpg

2 albums released recently within 6 months of each other by the hugely talented and quite wonderful Big Big Train.
Haven't heard of them, will check them out - but music aside, I love these covers! I bet they would look great as "proper" album covers and not just collections of pixels on an iPod screen lol
  • 3 months later...

Haha, actually it kind of slipped away *shamefaced*

I've just downloaded English Electric pt 1, I'm listening to The First Rebreather as I type. Sounds a little like Peter Gabriel singing a (later) Marillion tune. Neither of these is a bad thing btw...

(Oh, and iTunes lists them just as 'Rock' ;) )

Edited by waawo

Yep, David Longdon has a hint of Gabriel and Collins about him. As you say, no bad thing, but he's a better natural singer than both imo.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it.

As for genres, my main love is what is loosely termed progressive rock but that has dozens of different sub-genres now (seriously) so that I find it very hard to categorise the music I listen to. My little head got confused with too many possibilities, none of which I totally understand if I'm honest.

I can't really classify Big Big Train as rock, (because to me rock rocks) I have no idea whether it's Neo Prog, Symphonic Prog, Crossover Prog - so it's just damned good music, strong on melody and beautifully played on a wide variety of instruments, including the quite delicious brass section.

Anyway, right now for me, this....

Speaking of genres.... Wallenstein is an early 70's German Prog?Krautrock band - I don't like that genre as a rule, finding bands like Can, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream and Amon Duul ll tediously experimental and tuneless in the main, but I happened upon this lot recently and they are absolute outstanding.

Their 1st 4 albums all fit me like a golve - so pleased I "discovered" them, albeit some 40 years after they were performing.

Give it a go.

http://youtu.be/mRmV9jgEZJ4

Edited by Royal Rother

i'm really loving allo darlin. they are similar to camera obscura and belle & sebastian so that ticks a box for me. also name wise it is convenient as i can't pronounce h's (my mom blames the bbc :D)

OK, so thinking I should contribute something to this thread!

When I lived in Bristol a little while back - well, 2009! - I saw a few times a band from Bath who were just starting out at that time, Kill It Kid. They have a sound that belies that they're four young 'uns from South West England - very bluesy, rootsy.

They released their second proper album earlier this year, here's a track from it - alas, can't embed due to copyright restrictions, so can only give link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN86htoSrpg

i'm really loving allo darlin. they are similar to camera obscura and belle & sebastian so that ticks a box for me. also name wise it is convenient as i can't pronounce h's (my mom blames the bbc :D)

Thanks, I liked that. (Though I really don't go much on B&S I have to say.)

They reminded me of Kirsty MacColl.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going through an electronic phase at the moment. I recently picked up Welcome to Oblivion by How to Destroy Angels, a Trent Reznor side project. Occasionally it sounds a little NIN-lite, but there's more than enough unique material and it stands up as a decent album. Inspired by my infatuation with the film Drive, I've also been listening to College a lot. Love that phat analog synth sound.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Protomartyr's second album, Under Color of Official Night, is one of my favourites of 2014. They're another of the increasing number of bands taking their cues from post-punk stalwarts like Wire, The Fall and The Birthday Party. https://soundcloud.com/protomartyr

I'm nerdy enough about music to have favourite record producers as well as bands. Peter Katis has manned the desks for Interpol and The National, so if he decides to produce a band's debut album, I want to hear that record. Honeyblood does not disaappoint: https://soundcloud.com/honeyblood

I'm nerdy enough about music to have favourite record producers as well as bands. Peter Katis has manned the desks for Interpol and The National, so if he decides to produce a band's debut album, I want to hear that record. Honeyblood does not disaappoint: https://soundcloud.com/honeyblood

it is something i find too, that if i know a producers name, this means the body of work he has produced has been stuff i have really enjoyed, so i will check out further stuff that he produces :)

a similar thing happens with labels, that if i like a good number of acts on a label, this encourages me to check out further stuff

those tracks from honeyblood are good

Edited by iff
  • 3 months later...