Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Spoiler Tag

The exciting news is that the new Spoiler Tag is ready for use. So if you are about to reveal part of the plot of a novel or story, please follow these very simple instructions. First of all type in this:

followed by your plot-revealing text.

(See next post. I'll explain why when we get there.)

Then close it by typing this:

Now the reason I had to split this up into two posts is that, when I tried in one, my explanation became lost in the spoiler tag.

Here is an example:

In the end, they all die of a horrible disease.

To read, as I'm sure you've worked out, you click on 'Show Spoiler'. To hide it again, click it again.

It will take a while to get this message across, so if someone reveals part of a plot when they should have used the spoiler tags, feel free to let them know, in a gentle and polite manner. Or direct them to this post.

Thanks.

Wow - that's pure genius!! I've been a member of a number of forums, but I've never come across that before! I feel an urgent need to try it out....

And he woke up, and it was all a dream....

(You should be able to use the code tags to show us what to do with the spoiler tags, without having to put them in two separate posts, but I couldn't get that to work)

[spoiler*]put your text here and take out the *

;)

Teehee that really is much more swanky than other spoiler tags I've seen.

Harriet is the greatest

Then close it by typing this:

Now the reason I had to split this up into two posts is that, when I tried in one, my explanation became lost in the spoiler tag.

Here is an example:

In the end, they all die of a horrible disease.

To read, as I'm sure you've worked out, you click on 'Show Spoiler'. To hide it again, click it again.

It will take a while to get this message across, so if someone reveals part of a plot when they should have used the spoiler tags, feel free to let them know, in a gentle and polite manner. Or direct them to this post.

Thanks.

how completely COOL!

you rock.

I have had trouble trying to put 2 spoiler tags in one post. Whichever tag I clicked on The first spoiler was revealed/hidden, and the second remained hidden. Do you have a method of overcoming that problem, or do we have to stick to one spoiler per post?

The post in question was on the "Saturday" thread, BGO Book Group forum, if you want to look.

Let me have a go.

Please don't read this if you are of a nervous disposition. [/spolier]

That's the first one.

I told you not to look, and now look at what's happened.

There's the second.

No, you're right, it doesn't come up. So the rule is, one spoiler per post.

Test of the spoiler box width:

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

That's what I thought. It's not nearly as wide as the standard BGO text. But there again, I am picky. Maybe it's my browser (Firefox 1.0).

Just seeing if the font COLOUR tag works to hide text:

Cogito, ergo sum

<FONT color="#f7f7f7">Cogito, ergo sum</FONT>

Cogito, ergo sum

Cogito, ergo sum

Cogito, ergo sum

Cogito, ergo sum

Cogito, ergo sum

Cogito, ergo sum

Cogito, ergo sum

Apparently not, or I can't find the colour of the background in the font colour pull-down menu. Possibly it's not there for this very reason. If the background colour was available as a font colour, it could be a way of allowing multiple spoilers in one post.

I can get round it by finding the RGB value of the background colour and coding them as above. Maybe tomorrow.

Not convinced this is going to work:

Firstly, <FONT color="#89C5DD">The Butler did not do it</FONT>, because, dear reader, <FONT color="#89C5DD">I did</FONT>!

Highlight the above text to reveal.

Edited to say: Yeah, it works, but it needs the spoilered text to be a different background colour so that it's obvious that it is spoilered.

Chris, that is staggeringly clever. However, to save you from further long and tortuous experimentation, I should tell you that a solution is at hand. Andrew Kenny - the wizard who designed, built and hosts this site (http://www.distortion.co.uk) has come up with a solution. Sadly, as before, I need to break it up into more than one post, so bear with me.

I quote from his email of earlier today:

"I noticed the thread on the spoiler tag so I've improved it with the

ability to do multiple spoilers in the same post. The old tag still works

as it should but only allows 1 tag per post. The new one is used like

this:

[spoiler=chapter1]This is number 1

Basically the spoiler=name is what differentiates each tag. The id should

really be a small text name. The new spoiler tag is on the site at the

moment."

So here it is in action:

[spoiler=chapter1]This is number 1

[spoiler=chapter2]This is number 2

That's pretty neat Bill (or should I thanking Andrew).

Now, you know I'm picky, but I'm pretty sure we don't need this:

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text

below the spoiler button. Of course that's what the Show/Hide Spoiler button does.

A more serious request is can we have a button for this on the Bold, Italic, Underline... menu when posting?

Right. I'm definitely going to bed now!

Test of the spoiler box width:

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

That's what I thought. It's not nearly as wide as the standard BGO text. But there again, I am picky. Maybe it's my browser (Firefox 1.0).

Dare i say a Pulp Fiction fan!!!! :)

This is fun!!!! :D

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Not spoiler related, but I wanted to see if I could change my post and keep my original work.

...I don't recall every one of the six main characters having the same <STRIKE>tattoo</STRIKE> birthmark. I wasn't watching out for it, which is one of the reasons it needs at least one more read.

Not spoiler related, but I wanted to see if I could change my post and keep my original work.

...I don't recall every one of the six main characters having the same <STRIKE>tattoo</STRIKE> birthmark. I wasn't watching out for it, which is one of the reasons it needs at least one more read.

I don't get it!!! :confused::confused::confused:

I don't get it!!!

I wrote gibberish in a thread and rather than just editing my original text I wanted to see if I could cross it out (but still leave it visible) and put the right text in. If I just edited my original post it would be even more confusing to people reading the thread.

so how do you do the crossing out?

I used STRIKE within angled brackets:

<STRIKE>Hey, this deserves to be crossed out</STRIKE>

If the angled brackets (the "less than", "greater than" brackets were repaced with simple parentheses, the above was coded thus:

(STRIKE)Hey, this deserves to be crossed out(/STRIKE)

Not sure what your question is, megustaleer, but you don't really "find" STRIKE, it's just something you type in, similar to the BOLD and QUOTE tags. Just use < and > instead of [ and ].

I think it's standard HTML, but don't quote me.