Is the novel 'The Wind-up Bird Chronicle' magical realism?

When I nominated this novel as the BGO Group Read, I argued that Murakami wrote magical realist novels even though the term is usually applied to work of Latin-American origin. This was my fifth Murakami book, and I certainly considered some of the previous novels I'd read, particularly "Kafka on the Shore", met the criteria.

In the early stages, I had a horrible feeling that the novel I'd picked wasn't actually a magical realist one; it isn't a consistent feature of Murakami's work. However, the dream sequences, the mark on Toru's cheek, Nutmeg's apparent powers and the later encounters in Room 208 later on made me revise my opinion.

Do others agree?

• 4 months later...

Yes , I would definately call his books magical realism. I don't think Haruki Murakami is capable of writing books that are completely immersed in reality! I mean some of the short stories i've read, start off as if they're actually going to be an every day story, firmly rooted in everyday life. But it doesn't seem to suit him at all and you realize that as you read on. Somehow I think he realizes that too, his imagination is far too good to apply it to just reality alone. Then you get some surprises!