megustaleer

The Book Of Ebenezer Le Page

I really like it too once Meg convinced me that I should read it.  Remember it had teeny weeny print - don't know if my older eyes would be equal to the task now!

I loved this book and thought I had posted on it.  Everyone I gave it to loved it, with the exception of my daughter and she was probably too young to fully appreciate it.  

Just read the book of Ebenezer La Page.

This was an exquisite piece of work. A proper good-old yarn. 

It felt so real that about halfway through I googled G.B. Edwards to see if this was literally just his life. But no, he left Guernsey, lived in London, had a very different existence. Ebenezer feels too real to be fictional though; too cantankerous and funny and opinionated. Most novels are narrated by personality-lacking robots who gaze into the middle distance. Yawn.  This was sweeping and epic and full of life. A real life.

I so desperately wanted him to get together with Liza Quéripel but it just doesn't happen. Because that's just not how life works. I felt for him when his best friend Jim died in the First World war. When Tabitha lost her husband. When Raymond lost his faith. When the sisters Prissy and Hettie fell out and made up again and again. When Neville Falla vandalised his property. When he killed a Nazi. When he befriended another. And when he told us about the book he was writing.

This book was an absolute joy. And to learn it was yet another book which publishers rejected reminds me how incompetent most of them are. 

"The older I get and the more I learn, the more I know I don't know nothing, me."

EDIT: Oh, I should also say, I'm pretty sure I first heard about this book on this site (somebody's book of the year, I think) so thanks.

Edited by hux

1 hour ago, hux said:

EDIT: Oh, I should also say, I'm pretty sure I first heard about this book on this site (somebody's book of the year, I think) so thanks.

Probably me. I've never missed an opportunity to say how much i love this book since I first read it 30 years ago (pre-BGO)

I re-read it in 2010, when it was my book of the year.    It was the first book I read that year, and nothing came near it for the rest of the year. So glad you got the same joy from reading it.