• Similar Content

• By Lulu
      We'd be interested to know which Harry Potter books you think is the best.

And why?

So is it
      Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
      Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
      Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
      Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
      or
      Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix?

Have a look at the poll above this message and vote for your favourite. Then, if you want to, explain you reasons.
    • By Poison Ivy
      There were no harry potter threads.....so I had to start one!! this is just generally to get some views on the books, likes/dislikes, criticisms, hero worship (tho lets try and keep it to a minimum....we all know the books rule....tho feel free to challenge that!) and any other general points you wish to make! yay! have fun guys, and adults....FEEL FREE TO JOIN IN! Harry Potter is for all ages (e.g. I'm 16 and still love em! as does my dad!). hope to get some stuff soon!
    • By Barblue
      I have just received an email from Amazone informing me that I can buy a copy of this book from 4th December. I can choose between a Standard edition at £6.99 (£3.99 if I order now) or a Collector's Edition for £50 - there dosen't seem to be a reduction on this one. I know which one I would love to have, but I also know which one I will actually buy!

I knew Amazon had purchased the copy that was auctioned, but didn't realise they were going to be allowed to reproduce it and sell it in this way - but I am pleased that they are. It says all the NET proceeds of the sales will go to J.K. Rowling's Children's Charit, which is good.

Roll on 4th December!
    • By tagesmann
      I started listening to the Harry Potter audiobooks back in May and have just finished The Deathly Hallows. I have posted separately about the first two books in the series.

I had the opportunity to choose to listen to either the UK editions read by Stephen Fry or the US editions read by Jim Dale. I chose the UK editions. Fry is a very good reader and even though he doesn't use a lot of vocal characterisations; he does on the whole convey the characters very well. If he has a fault, it is in his female characters who don't work quite as well as the males. He also, occasionally does not change intonation between speech and text causing an aural double take.

There has been quite a bit of criticism of the length of the books as the series developed. This issue is not such a problem in the audio books. The narrative flow carries on and works very well throughout and there is not that feeling of some time dragging (or the author filling time) as happens when reading them. I don't know if this is down to the narrator's skill or the author's (and hence the readers lack of....).

I have really enjoyed this series and if for those who enjoy audiobooks I would recommend these.
    • By Harriet
      Apparently JKRowling's finished writing the 6th book, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Wonder who the Half-Blood Prince is gonna be? I read somewhere that JKR was going to call the 2nd one the Half-Blood Prince, but then when she finished writing it it didn't fit in with the story, so there could be some clues there...!