Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy DEagle

Music lover? You should check out spotify

I'm not a huge music lover but I know many people on here are. I spend time on a PC type forum and they are all raving about spotify. I use it myself at the moment and it is amazing.

What is Spotify?

Spotify is a new way to enjoy music. Simply download and install, before you know it you’ll be singing along to the genre, artist or song of your choice. With Spotify you are never far away from the song you want.

There are no restrictions in terms of what you can listen to or when. Forget about the hassle of waiting for files to download and fill up your hard drive before you get round to organising them. Spotify is instant, fun and simple.

Because music is social, Spotify allows you to share songs and playlists with friends, and even work together on collaborative playlists, Friday afternoon in the office might never be the same again! We’re music lovers like everyone else.

We want to connect millions of people with their favorite songs by creating a product that people love to use. We respect creativity and believe in fairly compensating artists for their work. We’ve cleared the rights to use the music you’ll listen to in Spotify.

http://www.spotify.com/en/products/overview/

Quite a few of us are Spotify fans already. I love checking out new stuff that people have recommended and then there are all of the old classics that I only have on vinyl.

Spotify is fab! I've been using it to play my bump all kinds of music to see what gets it going. So far, s/he's loving Dolly Parton.... I can't believe how fast it is too - it doesn't even take a second to find and start playing your track, and I've not typed in anything it hasn't got yet either.

Not impressed I'm afraid.

Only one track by my favourite group, and none of my favourite song, even though it's been recorded by several singers.

And I can't figure how to delete the rubbish that has been offered as alternatives.

While I've been hooked on Spotify, MOH has been singing the praises of LastFM which is (I think...) a similar service and is particularly good at recommending other stuff you might like based on previous plays.

I've raved about Spotify over on the "What Are You Listening To Now?" thread. I think it has the potential to be an important development in the way we consume music.

I'm waiting for the day when it can be adapted for mobile phone use and iPods become worthless plastic. It'll also be interesting to see if the site can strike deals with unsigned bands to provide them with another route for widespread online exposure apart from MySpace. At the moment, all its content is provided by record labels.

It isn't perfect yet - there's definitely still gaps in its catalogue, as meg notes. When I started using it, there was little that had been recorded for Sub Pop or Rough Trade and several other large, respected indie labels, although these gaps are being plugged gradually. I believe they're uploading something like 20,000 tracks a month to the site at the moment.

Unfortunately, I hear tell that financially, the site is struggling a little because fewer people than their business model expected are willing to fork over £9.99 per month for the site's premium, ad-free service.

Being the sad music geek I am, I also quite enjoy trying to catch it out and discovering obscure stuff it doesn't have.

I too have raved about it on t'other thread.

Extraordinary resource and all for free.

Okay I'd like to have more (of "my") stuff there, but the fact that you can search on (say) Neil Young and have just about every one of his enormous catalogue available to listen to in entirety, and with excellent quality is incredible.

The classical music catalogue is pretty amazing as well - not that I want then all but 8 different versions of his symphonies is going some...

Spotify is great, we're currently allowed to use it at work. Which is nice, because our firewalls seem to block out all the adverts that pop up occasionally. Winner!

I believe they're uploading something like 20,000 tracks a month to the site at the moment.

Far more than that.

On 11th May they added 127,578 tracks and on 13th May 68,877 new tracks.

They produce a linked list, here's the most recent one http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=r4Ijky2V7U0vTap7ITAs0wg

From a quick scan, the vast majority of artists I've never heard of.... as an illustration, this is a list of the tracks (mostly whole albums) by artists added on the 13th whose christian name is Paul. I haven't heard of a single one!

Paul Bollenback

Paul Brendon Lile

Paul Bresciani

Paul Brill

Paul Cardall

Paul Chesne

Paul Christian

Paul Clark

Paul Craft

Paul Donat

paul fisher & the magic stairs

Paul Halley

Paul Hanna

Paul Harrigan

Paul Hogan

Paul Humble

Paul Livingstone

Paul Loren

Paul McSherry

Paul Nash

Paul Pennell

Paul Sanchez

Paul Santa Maria

Paul Scott

Paul Serrato

Paul van Dyk

Paul Warren

Paul White

Yes, I'll sign up for free. I'll just click.

This product is not available in your country yet.

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be available free in my country soon :rolleyes: If they haven't sorted copyright it by now, they never will. Still, you'll all be paying for spotify soon. Ads aren't going to keeping it running for long.

I registered with Spotify before it was available in the UK and could therefore get access as soon as it was officially launched here. Before that I used (and still use) last.fm which usefully links to Songbird and amarok - two of my media players.

I'm not sure whether I use any service enough to pay £9.99 a month. I suppose I would if I had mobile access and didn't have any download or bandwidth issue.

I'm getting some strange stuff on Spotify this morning. It sounds like the sound track of a move echoing in the background behind the music - weird.

Oh dear - just sussed that the voices were coming from an advert on another browser I had open. Trouble is, I've already reported the issue to spotify :(:dunce:

Is anyone else having problems with Spotify today? It's really jumpy and keeps cutting out, doesn't seem to be related to internet connection problems.

Try this on Spotify. Type in "In the Ghetto" and listen to Elvis's marvellous rendition (A little cheesy I know but what an amazing voice).

The next is In the Ghetto by El Principe Gitano. It sounds so pub singer by comparison it had me in fits of laughter.:D