I think David Suchet is a more talented actor than Burt Lancaster and seems to be able fit into any part he plays.  I saw a movie with him where he plays a Middle East terrorist and he was very convincing.

Just read your post momac, and saw it as "... where he plays a Middle Aged terrorist. I thought, yeah, that fits'! :)

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot believe this! I am so used to being unable to watch the most popular TV programmes (they are on channels I cannot access) that it never occurred to me that I would be able to see Cosmos. Well, I just have. It has been on for 10 weeks already. I have just watched Episode 11 - not bad at all.

"Cosmos" is the one with Neil Degrasse Tyson?  He's a big hero of mine, even though I don't like stuff about space because it doesn't take much investigation into the subject before I realize that I, personally, am not the center of the universe.  He has written a column for "Natural History" magazine for years, although I think he might have turned it over to someone else.  

And then there's this:  http://www.liberalamerica.org/2014/04/18/neil-degrasse-tyson-addressed-lack-of-women-and-black-people-in-science-he-nailed-it/

Yes, it's Tyson.  It's the first time I have seen anything of his and I really liked it. He has a lot of talking to do, and does it very well.

I don't like stuff about space because it doesn't take much investigation into the subject before I realize that I, personally, am not the center of the universe. 

:)  Well, I like it for just that reason - for understanding why I feel so small and insignificant! At least I'm small and insignificant in a beautiful universe.  Oh - and thanks for the link, Binker.

I have just discovered Netflix. And a Google Chromecast. Together, they are opening up a whole new world of things to watch.

For anyone who doesn't know, a Chromecast is a wee thing, like a USB drive, which plugs into an HDMI port on your telly. (If you have a fairly new telly, it will have these ports - mine is about 5 years old and has three.)

You download the app onto a phone or tablet (or laptop, I think, though I haven't tried.) Then, when you want to watch things from compatible services, it lets you beam them from the device to the TV. It is easy peasy to work - I am very impatient with technology and can't be bothered with elaborate television stuff, and I am a total convert to this one because it is so uncomplicated.

At the moment, it only really works with BBC iPlayer and Netflix. Well, you can use it to play Youtube videos and maybe other online content, but that's not really what interests me. Mainly, I like it for streaming TV because I don't enjoy having to watch iPlayer on a laptop. Netflix costs £6 a month, and when you can watch unlimited films and box sets on an actual TV for that, it seems worth it.

I might have to upgrade my broadband package, though ...

"Cosmos" is the one with Neil Degrasse Tyson? 

I have to admit that after two episodes I am rather disappointed with the series. "Cosmos", that is for me intrinsically connected to the powerful eloquence of Carl Sagan, whose love for the subject was felt in every phrase, and to the unforgettable music of Vangelis. This could have been good if they had found an as exquisite narrator and recycled the same soundtrack. But Neil Tyson gives a nice uncle who squeezes his words, swallows final syllables and mumbles at the edge of utter incomprehensibility (for non-natives - my wife actually demanded subtitles for the guy, and she has spent two years of her life in London!), and Alan Silvestri's score is as dull and amateurish as most of the stuff found on Jamendo. Nice visuals isn't just everything, you know, and besides, those were thriving with blatant Star-Wars-type errors. This is just another stereotypical US space documentary, but it is not another "Cosmos".

Not to mention that from our European point of view, much of Tyson's apologetics for Darwinism in episode 2 were dispensable, anyway, because in contrast to those Americans, we have got the point a century ago and media reports on those across the Pond who still doubt it are but an entertaining source of schadenfreude for us. Though my wife liked that part about the polar bear.

Edited by Romanike

"Cosmos", that is for me intrinsically connected to the powerful eloquence of Carl Sagan, whose love for the subject was felt in every phrase

Haven't watched the new series yet, but can cheerfully say that Carl Sagan's Cosmos is one of my favourite TV things ever. I can still picture in my mind the story of the Japanese Samurai crabs and how unnatural selection mimicked the process of natural selection. "Evolution is a fact, not a theory."

And like you say, some great music and an altogether inspiring show.

Have Carl Sagans' Cosmos and agree with Romanike and waawo that it's one of the best science programmes ever shown on tv. Will look for the new one but a hard act to follow.

Edited by Clavain

Have Carl Sagans' Cosmos and agree with Romanike and waawo that it's one of the best science programmes ever shown on tv. Will look for the new one but a hard act to follow.

Watched Cosmos last night.  Agree that Carl Sagan is a hard act to follow, but for all that I am not disappointed with Tyson.  The programme was about CO2 and global warming.  A gentle, logical approach to what is happening and how we can't pass the buck! :clap: