Sign in to follow this  
Squirls

Currently Watching

I'm surprised that you are bothered by the lack of of Sky+, luna. With all your craft interests I wouldn't have thought that you had time to watch TV ;)

Franky, so am I Meg. I had no idea that it was so important to me, now I do. Engineer is coming tomorrow, I hope that it's a cheap fix.

Currently watching hee haw at the moment cos the Sky+ is off.  Did I mention that somewhere?  :naughty:   Not that I'm at all dependent on it.  Not me. :yup:  Nope :nono: Does not bother me at all.  :confused:  Not at all.  :mad:  Never :scared:

:lmao: Sympathy , sympathy , violins......................... Go and find some of your old favourites on you tube and hope the tech comes soon!

Watched the last episode of "Silk" yesterday, a good series, thought maybe it was an old series and I could get the next one on DVD but not so.  The DVD of the one I just watched won't be out until next month, so the next series isn't even available, hopefully it will show up some time soon. 

I've been enjoying "What Remains" on Sunday nights.  The characters are (almost) all wonderfully horrible.  I was surprised that next week's episode will be the last one (it's only the fourth), I hope they tie it up nicely.

Franky, so am I Meg. I had no idea that it was so important to me, now I do. Engineer is coming tomorrow, I hope that it's a cheap fix.

Is it fixed now?  With Sky+ it stops working if the box doesn't have a working incoming satellite signal, so when the wind blew my dish out of alignment I not only lost broadcast TV but couldn't watch any of the stuff I had recorded until I had it re-aligned (Sky say this is to stop people unplugging their box and taking it round to someone else's house so they can watch a program recorded onto the box).  Sky charged about £60 a go to send a man in a van round to move it the 1/4" back into alignment, so I got a local independent installer to replace the whole thing, which resisted the wind better but eventually I lost half the channels following a gale.

Since I can't climb ladders above a few feet and the existing dish is at the ridge line perhaps 16' from the ground, I bought my own dish and positioned it round the back of the house (mine's a bungalow) on a pole just above the gutter where I could reach it should I need to re-align it, and installed it and all the cabling myself.  No further problems so far, fingers crossed.

I've been enjoying "What Remains" on Sunday nights.  The characters are (almost) all wonderfully horrible.  I was surprised that next week's episode will be the last one (it's only the fourth), I hope they tie it up nicely.

I'm enjoying it too.  Presumably the least horrible will turn out to be the murderer?

Is it fixed now?  With Sky+ it stops working if the box doesn't have a working incoming satellite signal, so when the wind blew my dish out of alignment I not only lost broadcast TV but couldn't watch any of the stuff I had recorded until I had it re-aligned (Sky say this is to stop people unplugging their box and taking it round to someone else's house so they can watch a program recorded onto the box).  Sky charged about £60 a go to send a man in a van round to move it the 1/4" back into alignment, so I got a local independent installer to replace the whole thing, which resisted the wind better but eventually I lost half the channels following a gale.

Since I can't climb ladders above a few feet and the existing dish is at the ridge line perhaps 16' from the ground, I bought my own dish and positioned it round the back of the house (mine's a bungalow) on a pole just above the gutter where I could reach it should I need to re-align it, and installed it and all the cabling myself.  No further problems so far, fingers crossed.

Engineer is coming today. It seems to be working perfectly now but the engineer is going to check everything - it's costing £40 - including (I've decided) making the dish more secure. Ours is just above our guttering and we're not a bungalow so somebody else is going up there! We last had trouble with it after the 90 mile an hour gales of 2012 but a neighbour's friend aligned the dish for us then. He's not in business any more or we'd have called him instead. My father ( the bill payer) is seriously looking at Virgin and will make his final decision as a result of the engineer's visit. My father is not happy that they took more than a week to set up the original appointment.

Nothing on the box tonight. Final of 'Strictly' 2012 tomorrow night. The trailer shows Louis wotsisname in a fascinating outfit! :cool:

By the way, am watching smilies right now. Please someone explain the last one for me:  :ph34r: ph34r. Thanks.

By the way, am watching smilies right now. Please someone explain the last one for me:  :ph34r: ph34r. Thanks.

I believe that's a Ninja smiley, Ting - used to denote ideas of stealth, taking people out quietly.  That sort of thing.

I believe that's a Ninja smiley, Ting - used to denote ideas of stealth, taking people out quietly.  That sort of thing.

Irayo, (thanks) ba David. Now let me think who I can 'take out  :ph34r: quietly'.  By the way, the smilies on the Learn Na'vi site are blue, with ears and large eyes.  The ears add an extra dimension of expression.  As the saying goes: "The ears and the tail also talk." Hoping all is well with you at home.

Not sure that "nicely" is the right word for how they tied it up. Wonderfully horrible, on the other hand, would fit perfectly

Not sure that "nicely" is the right word for how they tied it up. Wonderfully horrible, on the other hand, would fit perfectly

Indeed.  It all got a bit crazy at the end there, didn't it.  I don't mind suspending belief  but I was happy that I was watching it on my own as I kept imagining my husband saying "no-one would ever do that in real life"!

It all got a bit crazy at the end there, didn't it.

It really did!  Which was a shame because it had been excellent.  And I did quite enjoy the final instalment, but it became a bit preposterous really.  I liked the essential premise that behind closed doors you find what people are really like, and they're a bit dark, on the whole.  But there's dark and then there's homicidal crazeeeee and for so many of the building's residents to be a meat cleaver short of a butcher's knife set beggared belief.  The part that really didn't sit well with me was:

Elizabeth.  We've seen her throughout as the mouseish 'captive' almost of Salty Sellers who's afraid of every knock at the door.  Then suddenly we are expected to accept she sees the entire building as her possession and is a crazed murderer.  Didn't add up for me.

It really did!  Which was a shame because it had been excellent.  And I did quite enjoy the final instalment, but it became a bit preposterous really.  I liked the essential premise that behind closed doors you find what people are really like, and they're a bit dark, on the whole.  But there's dark and then there's homicidal crazeeeee and for so many of the building's residents to be a meat cleaver short of a butcher's knife set beggared belief.  The part that really didn't sit well with me was:

Elizabeth.  We've seen her throughout as the mouseish 'captive' almost of Salty Sellers who's afraid of every knock at the door.  Then suddenly we are expected to accept she sees the entire building as her possession and is a crazed murderer.  Didn't add up for me.

Grand guignol!  (pretentious, moi?)  Took the ending in that spirit and enjoyed plus, among other things, it helped me understand why the character played by Victoria Hamilton hadn't just walked out of the house a long while ago.

Does anyone on BGO watch Coronation Street?  It's really popular here and they even have Coronation Street fan clubs.  I've watched it now for years as does our d-i-l in Yellowknife and my neighbour across the street.  Now that another one of the characters is leaving the show they have decided to have her die of a terminal illness for her exit and the acting is really believable. Two of the male characters are currently off the show defending old rape charges and another male character posted himself singing a song about rape on YouTube and he was given his walking papers.  So that's three of the male characters leaving under a cloud.  So not only is there drama on screen but nasty things happen in real life.  

It's the only soap opera I watch and the family know not to phone me between 7:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. week nights as I'm addicted to Corrie Street.  Just wondered if any of the BGO folks watched it too.

I don't watch it, Momac but Michael Le Vell - I understand he plays mechanic Kevin Webster and has done for some 30 years now - has been found not guilty in court of all charges and currently rumoured to be negotiating a come back. Bill Roache has yet to be tried so innocent until proven guilty. Headlines all over the press, which is unfair to the men IMHO.

I don't watch it, Momac but Michael Le Vell - I understand he plays mechanic Kevin Webster and has done for some 30 years now - has been found not guilty in court of all charges and currently rumoured to be negotiating a come back. Bill Roache has yet to be tried so innocent until proven guilty. Headlines all over the press, which is unfair to the men IMHO.

That's news to me about the character "Kevin Webster" - I would think they might have to take him back or risk a lawsuit. I've always wondered about the rape accusations which arrive so many years after the supposed incident and how can anyone prove the event took place. Even with Michael Le Veil being found 'not guilty' there will always be doubt surrounding him arising from the accusation. What a world!

Michael Le Vell has said that it was two years of hell that he endured and, as you say, the stigma is still there.  That's the press for you, I think that they were the ones that named him publicly, the police are not allowed to.  There should be a law against that................

I love Corrie too, momac. I think the Hayley storyline is very realistic - as far as I can tell - and believeable. I think they have a responsibility to deal with these matters in a realistic way.

Unfortunately, I think it has tended to melodrama over recent years, seeking ratings, and credibility often gets in the way. I enjoy a thread on another forum called "suspension of reality", where people point out unrealistic and silly things which happen, like Dev getting to the registry office in the time it took Karl and Stella to say a few words. He was obviously using a teleport.  :P

What I love most is the quiet comedy. When Becky worked at the cafe, I loved this exchange:

Becky (frustrated): Roy, do you know what I don't get?
Roy (quietly): London Review Of Books?

ETA: Don't we have a Corrie thread? I will have a look.

I haven't read King's novel, but I'm quite enjoying Under the Dome, which is about half-way through now.  Is anyone watching who's read the book?  Is it a decent adaptation?

I love Corrie too, momac. I think the Hayley storyline is very realistic - as far as I can tell - and believeable. I think they have a responsibility to deal with these matters in a realistic way.

Unfortunately, I think it has tended to melodrama over recent years, seeking ratings, and credibility often gets in the way. I enjoy a thread on another forum called "suspension of reality", where people point out unrealistic and silly things which happen, like Dev getting to the registry office in the time it took Karl and Stella to say a few words. He was obviously using a teleport.  :P

What I love most is the quiet comedy. When Becky worked at the cafe, I loved this exchange:

Becky (frustrated): Roy, do you know what I don't get?

Roy (quietly): London Review Of Books?

ETA: Don't we have a Corrie thread? I will have a look.

MM - I've posted on the Coronation Street thread that maybe the posts on here could be moved?  

P.S.  All things are possible on Corrie Street.   :D

Edited by momac

MM - I've posted on the Coronation Street thread that maybe the posts on here could be moved?  

P.S.  All things are possible on Corrie Street.   :D

I'm sure I'm supposed to know how to do that ...!

I'm sure I'm supposed to know how to do that ...!

Well, if you don't remember maybe David would be so kind although I don't think it will matter.