Sign in to follow this  
David

NO ADVERTISING

This area is for promotional offers open only to BGO subscribers.

It is not an area for general advertising of products, services, events or websites. Advertising is not allowed on BGO except in very specific circumstances. If you wish to promote something book-related that you believe our members would be genuinely interested in then you should contact one of the admin/moderating team by private message.

Any other advertising will be deleted immediately.

This area is for promotional offers open only to BGO subscribers.

It is not an area for general advertising of products, services, events or websites. Advertising is not allowed on BGO except in very specific circumstances. If you wish to promote something book-related that you believe our members would be genuinely interested in then you should contact one of the admin/moderating team by private message.

Any other advertising will be deleted immediately.

As with Amazon, who, I understand, have now deleted all book reviews that cite a reviewers own book, or append a reviewers website or blogsite.

A bit draconian, but I can see how the practice can be abused.

As with Amazon, who, I understand, have now deleted all book reviews that cite a reviewers own book, or append a reviewers website or blogsite.

I hadn't seen that. Well, of course our policy in relation to books is that if an author is open about the fact it's their own book they can quite merrily plug it in Writers' Corner.

Still, my posting above was directed more at people just advertising products. Until recently when I trawled through to delete them entirely from the system about two thirds of this area was filled in the moderators' screen with deleted advertising for mobile phones, computers, baby accessories and even a bespoke painter's service. You'd be surprised how much straight, non-book advertising is removed by the moderators - you mostly don't see it because it's quickly removed, but this area in particular was strongly abused so I decided I would make it clear to those advertisers that they'd be wasting their time.

this area in particular was strongly abused so I decided I would make it clear to those advertisers that they'd be wasting their time.
Though to be fair, the title of Promotions and Offers did make it look like a free-for-all. I think you've made the site policy quite clear now.