FirelightSpirit

Just Abandoned

I'll Never Be Young Again, by Daphne du Maurier.

I have read and enjoyed several of du Maurier's more well known books, and seeing this on my bookshelf I thought tit would ease me back into reading books that are not 'classic era' mysteries (although still written back in the 1930s).

Gosh was it a struggle! A 'hero' so sunk in self-pity in the first few chapters that i would happily have pushed him off the bridge where he was contemplating jumping into the Thames in the first chapter.  I persevered, and started recognising various scenes, so I seem to have read it before.

I came to BGO and did a search, to find that I had read it before, about 10 years ago. Apparently I had hated the 'hero' just as much the first time round, but stuck with it to the end because the writing was so good. What a relief!! I didn't need to plough on, it was not going to get better!! Not even for the wonderful writing - which I foind florid and overblown in the few chapters I had managed to read this time.

I see from my reading list for that year that I had given it 3 stars (presumably for the writing). I must remember, if planning to re-read anything else, that my tastes seem to have changed and I need to approach favourite authors with care

10 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Restless, William Boyd.  No idea if this is my fault or his but after 31 pages I just could not be bothered.

32 minutes ago, chuntzy said:

Half-way through Bel Canto by Ann Patchett and I suddenly lost interest.

Two books I really enjoyed - must be the hot weather  making it difficult to concentrate!

9 hours ago, megustaleer said:

Two books I really enjoyed - must be the hot weather  making it difficult to concentrate!

Yes, Meg, fair point..  

On 20/02/2007 at 12:55, FirelightSpirit said:

I can only remember giving up on two books, Joseph Conrad's Lord Jim because I just couldn't get into it and Christopher Paolini's Eragon because I found it exceptionally tedious.

I just wondered if any of you abandoned books and what would make you do so, or do you grit your teeth and plough through till the end?

Vikram Seth, A Suitable Boy.

The mega tome was good at first but after 400 pages got very political;Indian politics to boot, which I am less than an expert in. The increasingly sickly sweetened love story also put me off.

Neel Mukherjee, The lives of others, for gratuitous violence.

Edited by itsmeagain

On 10/08/2018 at 10:48, itsmeagain said:

Edward Marston

The railway detective omnibus.

Shockingly bad writing, corny budding romance , stereotypes abound. Dreadful stuff.

I'll agree with you on that one!

Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan. Apparently this is a true story - so says the author (who writes for James Patterson) but because he wasn't able to get "corroboration that Pino, the hero of this tale, actually did perform quite so many heroic deeds, he's presenting it as fiction. Quite; And my granny was the Queen of Sheba.

Nonsensical, badly written and full of info dump. I read 100 pages because it's a book club book then decided life was too short.

19 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

Do you know the works Viccie?

I started the first one. It was such tosh and so badly written that I gave up when it becme abundantly celar it wasn't going to improve.

23 minutes ago, Viccie said:

I started the first one. It was such tosh and so badly written that I gave up when it becme abundantly celar it wasn't going to improve.

It took me about 111 pages.

The one dimensional, narrow, shallow characters, devoid of depth.

Mulryne?

Yeah.. I'll make him an ex constable, dismissed for violence, living in a slum, using his fists for a living.

Shocking.

Edited by itsmeagain

On 2018-08-09 at 13:45, itsmeagain said:

Vikram Seth, A Suitable Boy.

The mega tome was good at first but after 400 pages got very political;Indian politics to boot, which I am less than an expert in. The increasingly sickly sweetened love story also put me off.

Neel Mukherjee, The lives of others, for gratuitous violence.

I dropped it after about 10-20 pages, but that was years ago. The book seemed as if it was written by a person in their late teens; it came across as plain and lacking in grammatical style.

20 hours ago, bedtime said:

I dropped it after about 10-20 pages, but that was years ago. The book seemed as if it was written by a person in their late teens; it came across as plain and lacking in grammatical style.

Thanks bedtime.

Just abandoned Also Spoke Zarathustra, which was within The Portable Nietzsche.  I don't doubt that the man was a genius but I could not make heads nor tails of what he was talking about and the translated prose did nothing for me.  Spent 13 days trying and life is too short to continue with it, imho

I have given up on these books in the past:

Catch 22 (I know outrageous)

Great expectations

Brave New world

Labyrinth

Captain Corelli's Mandolin

I first joined this online book group 15 years ago and Ive just reread some things I wrote and I'm tickled by how young I sound. Perhaps it's time for me to revisit these books and see if I take a different view?

I skipped a few sections of Captain Corelli, I did  read Labyrinth but haven't  read  the others, although I have GE on the shelf, a relic from schooldays when I did start it but then had to leave it to read books we were actually studying!