Stephen King & James Herbert

Colinj

i have been labelled as some kind of sales person or author since posting a recommendation as one of my first posts
You haven't been 'labelled' as anything as I am sure David has explained fully to you. We have a history of people posting a review of an obscure or self-published book and linking to it for sale, as their first post here, and then they never post again. Now, we don't actually mind this as long as the poster is up front and honest about their association. But unfortunately most think that deceit and subterfuge is the way to go and our members do not appreciate that - in fact it'll make sure that no one touches your book with a bargepole.

Now, your initial post falls under that umbrella, but if you become a participating member of the site, you are given more leeway and your post will be reinstated.

As I have said, I am sure that David has explained all this to you and I would be grateful if you could stop making an issue out of it. You won't be garnering any sympathy. Last word on this issue, back to business.

Stephen King for me - I read several of Herbert's books (Rats, Lair and Fog come to mind) 25-30 years ago (holy crap that's scary!), but after the first one found the style and structure so consistent in the others that it just felt a bit weak. Short chapters etc. IIRC - perhaps he established a style that James Patterson took on - another author I found entertaining enough but ultimately unfulfilling so don't bother with now.

I recall he introduces a new character every chapter for the 1st dozen or so, most of whom get killed off - a pattern that seemed common to each of the books I read, and I just found that a bit formulaic and irritating after a while.

I enjoyed them up to a point, but then discovered King and his more meaty, drawn out style suited me better.

Each to their own as they say!!

Don't get me wrong, i do like King and have read a good many of his novels. One that sticks out for me was Salem's Lot. I think i just found him a bit of a heavy read. I always like any film adaptation of his work though, they always flow easier for me than his books.

Enjoy the bank holiday!!

Stephen King for me - I read several of Herbert's books (Rats, Lair and Fog come to mind) 25-30 years ago (holy crap that's scary!), but after the first one found the style and structure so consistent in the others that it just felt a bit weak. Short chapters etc. IIRC - perhaps he established a style that James Patterson took on - another author I found entertaining enough but ultimately unfulfilling so don't bother with now.

I recall he introduces a new character every chapter for the 1st dozen or so, most of whom get killed off - a pattern that seemed common to each of the books I read, and I just found that a bit formulaic and irritating after a while.

I enjoyed them up to a point, but then discovered King and his more meaty, drawn out style suited me better.

:cool:

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

A Buick 8 was dreadfully I thought couldn't get into that one I have found some of kings works not great like desperation bag of bones cell and the last few books in the dark tower series realy let me down as for Herbert I have enjoyed all his books I've read though he isn't as prolific as King I suppose you can't hit a home run every time out to bat!!