Book to Film

I saw Hostage yesterday - developed from the Robert Crais novel. Pretty good film - dark and full of suspense. It has been a couple of years since I read the book so I was neither disappointed nor excited by the transformation from book to film but I am sure there are very strong views about other adaptations.

Do you have any examples?

Where to start? One particularly good adaptation was the film V.I. Warchawski, based on the Sara Paretsky novels. Kathleen Turner on fine form: "Do you know how difficult it is to get blood outa cashmere?"

Bad adaptations? Try any Elmore Leonard. Get Shorty was so bad, I just assumed it was meant to be ironic (GS being a book written by Leonard after his bad experience with the vertically-challenged Dustin Hoffman in the film adaptation of one of his earlier novels (Stick, I think). The trailers for Be Cool suggest the trend is set to continue.

Sorry if you meant specifically Robert Crais adaptations.

Elmore Leonard seems to have been badly served by his screen adaptations - the only one I thought halfway decent was "Out of Sight". I liked the TV series of "Maximum Bob" but haven't read the book.

I was impressed by the film of "L.A. Confidential" as it succeeded in condensing a hugely complex novel while still being coherent as well as being well acted and great to look at.

Probably the prize for the worst turkey in the crime genre must go to "Striptease", based on the awesome Carl Hiaasen's novel. Slightly off thread, there's also the film version of "The Bonfire of the Vanities", which contains some truly appalling casting. Bruce Willis as a drunken English journalist, what were they thinking :confused: .

• 2 weeks later...

Ellroy? No thanks. Not my cuppa. Why? Can't think. Sentence structure? Probably. Style stinks? Methinks.

I started one of his latest and barely managed the first page. They say his earlier novels are a lot better so I might bite the bullet some time and give him another whirl. The people who like him really do like him.

Must try David Goodis. One of his in my local bookshop alongside Hammett and MacDonald in the Crime Masterworks series. Looks like he's worth a try. Jim Thompson is there too.

• 2 years later...

Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson

Ripley's Game by Patricia Highsmith

The Quiet American by Graham Greene

Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow

The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy

The Russia House and The Tailor of Panama by John le Carré

And I'd put Robert Ludlum's Bourne Identity on the list of movies better than the book.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 13 years later...
On 30/03/2005 at 18:31, Fat Buddha said:

I think L.A Confidential is actually better than the book. I would love to like Ellroy, I really would, but I find him unreadable...

Absolutely.  Ellroy’s early books were good, before he took on the stream-of-consciousness form, yuk.

I tried twice to get through White Jazz.

3 hours ago, BlueHammer said:

Absolutely.  Ellroy’s early books were good, before he took on the stream-of-consciousness form, yuk.

I tried twice to get through White Jazz.

Not sure if anyone has welcomed you to the site yet BlueHammer so welcome and good to have you aboard. One of the things I like when new members arrive is their exploration of old threads and 'resurrecting' them with new comments and insights. I don't remember this thread at all (tho given the state of my memory these days someone will probably point out a contribution I have previously made to it) I'll have read through the thread and will have a think about Books to Film I've liked/disliked for a future post.