I have a cousin living in Guadalajara, and I went through the SARS scare a few years back. He's not too worried, and basically says it's a lot of media hype (although he is scheduled to head home next week for his brother's wedding).

We can all attest to the hype. When hasn't the media blown something out of proportion? Nevertheless, there is an uneasiness that I can also sympathize with, especially for those people living in Mexico City. It's the fear of what might happen. It's easy for me to feel safe thousands of miles away, yet something totally different when it's in your own geographical backyard.

The world has safeguards in place that just weren't there even a few decades ago. SARS could have been much more serious than it was had the powers that be not been so well prepared or acted as decisively (with the exception of China, of course). It'll be the same this time. People will get sick. People will be hospitalized. There will be deaths. It will spread to other countries. It will not be a pandemic so long as everyone follows basic hygienic principles. It will, however, be tense in Mexico City.

People here in Taiwan wore masks during SARS. We washed our hands more often. Had our temperature taken every time we went into a public building. There may have been a few more precautions that I'm forgetting. Long story short: it is serious, but it'll pass--just like SARS and Bird Flu.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been told that deaths from Swine 'Flu are caused by a Cytokine Storm, so a strong immune system would seem to be a bad thing.
Actually, I was aware that it was young and healthy people who were most at risk (I think the same was true in 1918) but didn't know why, so that's interesting.

I suppose it's echinacea pushed to the back of the shelf and nothing but McDonalds and other junk food until the storm passes! My kiods will be ecstatic (and fat, of course. But alive. I suppose you can't have everything.)

The reverse is true for these 'pandemic' types because they tend to be lethal through causing massive over-reaction by the immune system...

...Though not this one, it now turns out. So it's not so bad after all.

As you were then.

On a more predictably dismal note, Max Clifford is now representing the Scottish couple.

Now that is a pernicious virus that fatally pollutes the planet.

...Though not this one, it now turns out. So it's not so bad after all.
Can you give me a source for that? - So that I can pass it on to Elder Son who emailed the whole family with the cytokine storm info and a whole list of foods high in free radicals / antioxidants to help us fight off the dreaded storm.

I think he's developed paranoid tendencies since he had children of his own :rolleyes:

I got drawn in to following your links, Swirls, and have been amused by the irony of this answer from the NHS website Q&A:

:rolleyes:

I think the public health people are relatively well prepared and as clued up as they can be regarding communicable diseases. However the idea of authorising anti virals by phone seems like something that's not fully thought through. Presumably it's been done to prevent too many turning up at GPs and Emergency Departments spreading the disease, but people will still have to go to the pharmacy to collect the drugs and and get the appropriate advice on taking them, hence coming into contact with others. People with co-morbidities will probably still need medical attention.

... a whole list of foods high in free radicals / antioxidants to help us fight off the dreaded storm....

I always knew there was a chance that my refusing-to-be-a-health-nut would bring me to a bad end ;)

I'm curious about what difference there is between foods that are ''high in free-radicals and anti-oxidants'', and foods that boost immunity. I mean, specific differences. Like, wouldn't a tomato be considered as high in immunity-boosting properties, including antioxidants? :confused:

I'm curious about what difference there is between foods that are ''high in free-radicals and anti-oxidants'', and foods that boost immunity. I mean, specific differences. Like, wouldn't a tomato be considered as high in immunity-boosting properties, including antioxidants? :confused:

I thought free-radicals were bad things, so I'm very confused now.

I suppose I ought to go check the 'facts' and take it up with Elder Son.

I think there is obviously a huge potential for this virus to spread but only if people are really lax with their own personal hygiene in public. There is without doubt huge over reaction to this swine flu, needless to say the skivers out there will use it as an excuse!! Flu has always had a potential issue to cause epidemics (take the winter vomiting virus) but because this is a new strain everyone has got the jeepers. From what i can see the symptoms are pretty standard flu type and it looks like its just a case of because its different it may potentially hang around in the body longer. This is where some of the deaths will have come from in my opinion, people who are already vulnerable to normal flu because of medical weaknesses of some sort (hence the fact that its not just the old that have faltered in this). I think as long as people use a lot of common sense it shouldn't become an out of control saga. That's my opinion ;)

Have challenged Elder Son about free radicals and he has confessed to having missed out a word when editing the bits he had cut & pasted into his email. It should have read Free Radical Scavengers, which mop up the free radicals in the body, and which antioxidants do. Silly boy!

I used to teach this technique to catering and care home staff as the best protection against many infections.

I haven't had 'flu for years.

(I do hope that saying that isn't giving a hostage to fortune)

Antioxidants may get rid of free radicals in the body, but eating foods high in antioxidants doesn't increase the levels of antioxidants at a cellular level. In the same way that just because an HIV virus in a petri dish dies when you pour Vitamin C on it, doesn't make Vitamin C an AIDS treatment. Beware marketing hype.

They had a best case/worst case analysis on yesterday's Jeremy Vine Radio 2 show which outlined the potential problems very well. I've been impressed by the way the health services have reacted and given that few people seem to have contracted the disease from the honeymoon couple, I'm optimistic that this will all be contained.

I haven't heard much about Swine Flu so it can't be a problem any more. Man Flu, however...

Man Flu - The Facts...

1. Man-Flu is more painful than childbirth. This is an irrefutable scientific fact*.

2. Man-Flu is not 'just a cold'. It is a condition so severe that the germs from a single Man-Flu sneeze could wipe out entire tribes of people living in the rainforest. And probably loads of monkeys too.

3. Women do not contract Man-Flu. At worst they suffer from what is medically recognised as a 'Mild Girly Sniffle' ? which, if a man caught, he would still be able to run, throw a ball, tear the phone book in half and compete in all other kinds of manly activities.

4. Men do not 'moan' when they have Man-Flu. They emit involuntary groans of agony that are entirely in proportion to the unbearable pain they are in.

5. Full recovery from Man-Flu will take place much quicker if their simple requests for care, sympathy and regular cups of tea are met. Is that really so much to ask? Florence Nightingale would have done it

6. More men die each year from MFN (Man-Flu Neglect) than lots and lots of other things. (Like rabbit attacks or choking on toast).

7. Men suffering from Man-Flu want nothing more than to get out of bed and come to work, but they are too selfless to risk spreading this awful condition amongst their friends and colleagues. In this sense, they are the greatest heroes this country has ever known.

8. In 1982 scientists managed to simulate the agonising symptoms of full blown Man-Flu in a female chimp. She became so ill that her head literally fell off.

9. Man-Flu germs are more powerful than He-Man, The Thundercats and The A-Team combined. They are too strong for weak, nasty tasting 'lady medicines' like Lemsip, so don't bother trying to force them on a victim of Man-Flu.

10. While it may seem like a Man-Flu sufferer is just lying around enjoying 'Diagnosis Murder' it is a commonly recognised medical fact that the exact pitch and frequency of Dick Van Dyke's voice has remarkable soothing powers.

11. Every minute in this country one man is struck down by Man-Flu. Women, all we ask is that each of you offers them a cup of tea, some kind words and your undivided attention and care. Then maybe, just maybe, we'll beat this monstrous disease together.

*(Based on a survey of over 100,000 men.)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone remember this old story from the past? Golly - I have to think back now...it must have been...oooooh...three weeks ago?

Funny how world armageddon has fallen off the map completely now there's some parliamentary swine to fry.

Anyway, probably should be in the ads thread but I was disgusted to see an advert for Dettol spray has now been altered. It's not enough to terrify parents with images of children apparently eating raw chicken in order to show what will happen if you don't disinfect every last surface in your home at least three times a day. Now we get the added message that this spray will kill flu germs on surfaces too - neatly coinciding with the government's leaflets telling us how long the virus can live on surfaces.

This would be the virus that's currently been caught by fewer than 100 people in a population of about 60 million.

Well you'd be foolish not to buy a spray, wouldn't you...?

Continuing in a similar, I received the following warning in an email ;)

New flu virus warning

I went to a dinner party last night, where I and other guests enjoyed copious amounts of alcohol. I awoke this morning not feeling well, with what could be described as flu-like symptoms; headache, nausea, chills, sore eyes etc.

From the results of some initial testing, I have unfortunately tested positive for what experts are now calling Wine Flu. This debilitating condition is very serious-and it appears this is not an isolated case. Reports are flooding in from all around the neighbourhood of others diagnosed with Wine Flu.

To anyone that starts to exhibit the aforementioned tell-tale signs, experts are recommending a cup of tea and a bit of a lie down. However, should your condition worsen, you should immediately hire a DVD and take some Nurofen [Nurofen seems to be the only drug available that has been proven to help combat this unusual type of flu].

Others are reporting a McDonald's Happy Meal can also help in some cases.

Wine Flu does not need to be life threatening, and if treated early can be iradicated within a 24-48 hour period. If not, then further application of the original liquid in similar quantities to the original dose has been shown to do the trick.

Good luck,

(It is believed that Guinness can have a similar effect)

Wine Flu's nothing compared to the most dangerous form of flu there is:

Man Flu - The Facts

1. Man-Flu is more painful than childbirth. This is an irrefutable scientific fact*.

2. Man-Flu is not 'just a cold'. It is a condition so severe that the germs from a single Man-Flu sneeze could wipe out entire tribes of people living in the rainforest. And probably loads of monkeys too.

3. Women do not contract Man-Flu. At worst they suffer from what is medically recognised as a 'Mild Girly Sniffle' which, if a man caught, he would still be able to run, throw a ball, tear the phone book in half and compete in all other kinds of manly activities.

4. Men do not 'moan' when they have Man-Flu. They emit involuntary groans of agony that are entirely in proportion to the unbearable pain they are in.

5. Full recovery from Man-Flu will take place much quicker if their simple requests for care, sympathy and regular cups of tea are met. Is that really so much to ask? Florence Nightingale would have done it

6. More men die each year from MFN (Man-Flu Neglect) than lots and lots of other things. (Like rabbit attacks or choking on toast).

7. Men suffering from Man-Flu want nothing more than to get out of bed and come to work, but they are too selfless to risk spreading this awful condition amongst their friends and colleagues. In this sense, they are the greatest heroes this country has ever known.

8. In 1982 scientists managed to simulate the agonising symptoms of full blown Man-Flu in a female chimp. She became so ill that her head literally fell off.

9. Man-Flu germs are more powerful than He-Man, The Thundercats and The A-Team combined. They are too strong for weak, nasty tasting 'lady medicines' like Lemsip, so don't bother trying to force them on a victim of Man-Flu.

10. While it may seem like a Man-Flu sufferer is just lying around enjoying 'Diagnosis Murder' it is a commonly recognised medical fact that the exact pitch and frequency of Dick Van Dyke's voice has remarkable soothing powers.

Every minute in this country one man is struck down by Man-Flu. Women, all we ask is that each of you offers them a cup of tea, some kind words and your undivided attention and care. Then maybe, just maybe, we'll beat this monstrous disease together.

*(Based on a survey of over 100,000 men.)