American TV Imports

And mine. It was interesting that the writer said that he thought The Shield shoould be spoken of in the same way as The Wire and that it was unfairly overshadowed by it, but then ranks The Shield much lower than The Wire, by all accounts I would have expected to see it at Number 2 then. Anyway, for me, The Shield just has the edge over The Wire, but it is a tough call.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the first episode of The Wire when BBC2 started showing it, loved it but couldn't keep up with the schedule! I have received the first series on DVD today and can't wait to start watching it. Sounds like I need to be prepared to lose many hours to this.

I also must buy BSG, I really don't know why I haven't watched it.

Since Carnivale has suffered the injustice of omission from that list I'll give it a proper plug because it really is a top-notch drama. Set in dustbowl Depression America it focuses on Ben, a homeless young man with a gift and tortured dreams who is taken on by a travelling carnival. Set against this is the parallel tale of Brother Justin, a preacher who feels the call to the Lord's work yet seems conflicted.

At heart a story of good and evil it is really much more complex than that with a wonderful gallery of characters and beautifully written, acted and directed episodes. If you have some space in your rental schedules stick the first season in there, or even pick up the boxset - you won't regret it!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io3qEXfuc2s&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io3qEXfuc2s&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If you have some space in your rental schedules stick the first season in there, or even pick up the boxset - you won't regret it!

OK, then, on it goes! I should get around to it around 2013 since, thanks to this thread, I also have to start watching "The Shield", "Battlestar Galactica", "The Corner" and "Homicide", plus my HDD recorder is full of episodes of "The Wire", "House", "Heroes", "Mad Men" and "Dexter" and my rental queue has more "The Wire", "Lost", "Futurama", "John Adams" and more of most of the above on it already.

OK, then, on it goes! I should get around to it around 2013 since, thanks to this thread, I also have to start watching "The Shield", "Battlestar Galactica", "The Corner" and "Homicide", plus my HDD recorder is full of episodes of "The Wire", "House", "Heroes", "Mad Men" and "Dexter" and my rental queue has more "The Wire", "Lost", "Futurama", "John Adams" and more of most of the above on it already.

Or you could ditch all those and watch Brotherhood, Breaking Bad and especially Friday Night Lights.

And one more vote for Carnivale.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a couple of shows behind on 'Dexter' series 3, ready for the last episode of 'Lost' that I sky plussed last night that apparently has a great twist at the end (now there's a surprise...).

I'm catching up on 'Battlestar Galactica' (which is just awesome) and I'm on episode 14 of season 4.

I started to watch 'Knight Rider' but having spoken to a couple of people and read metacritic I'm not going to bother.

Has anyone watched 'Lie to Me' I meant to watch it but forgot, is it worth catching up on?

I also have 'Dollhouse' sky plussed as that looked quite interesting.

After writing all that I seem to be absorbing the Americanism of calling them 'seasons' as opposed to 'series'. Yuck!

ready for the last episode of 'Lost' that I sky plussed last night that apparently has a great twist at the end (now there's a surprise...).

It was excellent! I saw part of the twist coming but there's a superb cliffhanger! Actually I'll probably write at greater length in the Lost thread.

I started to watch 'Knight Rider' but having spoken to a couple of people and read metacritic I'm not going to bother.

I watched this last night and it wasn't good at all. Badly scripted, badly directed, mediocre acting (without the leavening of a cheesy Hoff). I'll probably watch one more to see if it picks up after establishing the set-up, but I doubt it will last long.

And it looks like it may well escape the chop, which for a while recently looked almost certain.

Has anyone watched 'Lie to Me' I meant to watch it but forgot, is it worth catching up on?

The first episode of Lie to Me was very good. I think it would be worthwhile trying to catch it. I'm hoping Dollhouse will live up to expectations.

i bought the dvd of a us tv import yesertday, the 50th anniversery edition of The Phil Silvers show

this actually makes it double my age. :)

• 2 months later...

Anyone else been watching this on E4 at 8/9-ish in the morning? I'm really into it and got hooked after seeing part of Episode 2... It's about a really successful brain surgeon who's based in New York who loses his wife, and, following a promise to her, leaves for a new life in Everwood, Colorado (basically the middle of nowhere) with his 2 kids, a 15-year-old son & a 9 year-old daughter. Obviously, he doesn't see eye-to-eye with the local doctor & his son falls for the local doctor's daughter, who has a boyfriend who is in a coma... The brain surgeon has to become a father to his kids overnight, as he was never around much/at all when his wife was alive, so that leads to some interesting moments with his kids. The characters are really well drawn & believable, the scenery is gorgeous (the show was apparently filmed in Canada) and it has moments of humour too... Based on the one ep I saw, I read lots of transcripts etc and, after seeing a few more eps, I ordered Season 1 from Play.com!

In some bizarre way, your post put me in mind of Providence from a few years ago, which starred Melina Kanakaredes (now more famous as being Stella Bonasera in CSI: New York) - it was on at a strange time in the day years ago, but was curiously gripping. Unfortunately, they've only done a "Best of" DVD for that...

• 2 weeks later...

I've just starting watching Dexter. I found the disks on sale and haven't watched it before.

So far, quite watchable. There's been a lot of blood shed in TV shows I've watched lately. I'm starting to feel quite anaemic.

This thread is very difficult to navigate... I've been searching to see if anyone else has watched this show and the comments are quite scattered.

This thread is very difficult to navigate... I've been searching to see if anyone else has watched this show and the comments are quite scattered.

I agree - having all the shows lumped together makes it difficult to discuss a particular one. I wonder if it's worth splitting them up?
I wonder if it's worth splitting them up?

Yes, I've wondered that in the past. There are a heck of a lot of comments but I may try to filter out those for major series at least. Some American imports already have their own threads so it's not very consistent.

The problem with splitting threads is that the software only shows the first line of each post so sometimes it's tricky seeing which ones you need to take out.

Dexter is one of my favourite shows, Kim, and you'll find that the deeper you get into the story the more compulsive it becomes. Each series has managed to build to superb climaxes that have left me gagging for the following week's episode - which of course won't be a problem if you have it on DVD!

There are a heck of a lot of comments but I may try to filter out those for major series at least. Some American imports already have their own threads so it's not very consistent.
I think it would be better to have the individual threads, and am more than happy to help go through them if we decide that's best.

I've started the process by filtering out Journeyman. The early discussions feature a lot of posts that discuss multiple series so it will be impossible to deal with many of those, but the later posts tend to be about a specific show, so I'll go through those. Best, I think, if one person does it since I'll become familiar with what's where as I continue. It may take a while, though!

Gradually chipping away at this - quite a few new threads now on various series. I've also duplicated some people's posts so that I can split them between the relevant threads when they have commented on more than one show (this possibly means your post count will have risen whilst the duplicate thread in the mods' area is in existence!). Obviously many posts are about American TV in general and feature comments on lots of series, plus the comments on the 50 greatest list - things like that will stay here.

Perhaps when I've finished I'll create a links post so that people can navigate appropriately if they come to this thread with specific rather than general comments. Particularly useful in some cases - a search for Mad Men will get you nowhere because the system ignores searches for words shorter than 4 letters.

Process complete and I've now included links to all discussions of American imports at the start of the thread, so if you see one you haven't commented on and you have some views then by all means chip in!

If I've missed any do please let me know.

Thanks.

'Salright! It was jumbled and as Kim noted difficult to find things, which seemed a shame because there's some great discussion in here but people were unlikely to trawl through it. All a lot more user-friendly now, I hope.