Sign in to follow this  
canongatebooks

SUBSCRIBERS' OFFER - The Gathering Night by Margaret Elphinstone

Our book for May-June is The Gathering Night, by established Scottish author Margaret Elphinstone. There are 10 copies available to BGO members - 7 to UK-based members, and 3 to anywhere in the world.

Please pm me if you would like to receive a copy. It's first come, first served!

Synopsis

Between Grandmother Mountain and the cold sea, Alaia and her family live off the land. But when one of her brothers goes hunting and never returns, the fragile balance of life is upset. Half-starved and maddened with grief, Alaia's mother follows her visions and goes in search of her lost son. Then a stranger from a rival tribe appears on their hearth seeking shelter. Are his stories of a great wave and a people perished really to be believed? What else could drive a man to travel alone between tribes in the depths of winter? Hopes of resolution come when Alaia's mother returns home as a Go-Between, one able to commune with the spirits. But as all the Auk people come together for their annual Gathering Night, who there will listen to the voice of a woman? The Gathering Night is a story of conflict, loss, love, adventure and devastating natural disasters. This utterly enchanting pre-historical novel is set deep in our stone-age past, but resonates as a parable of our troubled planet 8000 years on.

I'm going to send out the first batch on Monday, so those who'd like to read The Gathering Night sooner rather than later, reserve a copy in here and send me a private message with your details!

(Question: Would the subscribers/members of BGO be interested, in the discussion thread, to have the author join in? What we could do is pose questions that the novel raised for us and I can get Margaret to log in on a certain day and she can answer those questions. Let me know if you are keen on the idea!)

So that's four (4) UK copies reserved and one (1) overseas copy reserved. This first batch will go out today.

Only three (3) UK copies and two (2) overseas copies still up for grabs!

I thought this story set amongst the hunter-gatherers of Mesolithic Scotland would be snapped up by our huge Scottish contingent.

Perhaps this quote from the author's website will stir up some interest:

People have lived in what is now Scotland for some ten thousand years. For the first six thousand years – from the end of the ice age until the adoption of agriculture – they were hunter gatherers. Although this period – the Mesolithic – constitutes more than half our history, we know next to nothing of the lives led by our early ancestors. The archaeological record is minimal – a scatter of flint workings and some shell middens on remote shores. The only event known to have occurred in the entire period was a tsunami which struck the east coast of what is now Britain around 6150 BC. Margaret Elphinstone has used this disaster as the catalyst for the story revealed in The Gathering Night.

My copy arrived lunchtime (quite good for our postie). Many thanks. Hoping to start it as my next read.

My copy arrived today too and it looks good - thank you Canongate. I am hoping to start it in the next day or two and that will give me a much needed incentive to finish off an assignment so that I can get started.

I think my last question may have been missed in the general talk about receiving the book:

Would there be any interest in having Margaret Elphinstone come onto BGO to answer any questions you guys may have about The Gathering Night? I always find it really interesting to get the author's perspective.

Margaret Elphinstone come onto BGO to answer any questions you guys may have about The Gathering Night? I always find it really interesting to get the author's perspective.

Absolutely, Andrea! That would be great. To have any author participate in discussion about their book would be a real boon and maybe will encourage others to take up the offer of the last few books.

I think my last question may have been missed in the general talk about receiving the book:

Would there be any interest in having Margaret Elphinstone come onto BGO to answer any questions you guys may have about The Gathering Night? I always find it really interesting to get the author's perspective.

Sorry, meant to get back on this one earlier. I think that is an excellent idea.

I have received an email from David informing me that there is a copy (copies?) left - if this is the case please can I be included in the offer.

Andrea - I shall PM you just in case. Thank you.

This is a fantastic idea and if I am lucky enough to receive a copy I would love to join in.

I think having the author involved sounds like an excellent idea, thanks for suggesting it Andrea, and sorry I didn't say so, sooner.

Mail takes a little longer to get to Australia but I'm looking forward to my copy arriving :)

So there are two copies left, which can be claimed by any subscriber, whether in the UK or abroad.

I also think that having the Author join in would be beneficial to both readers and authors..and may encourage the readers to "bump up" the book to the top of the TBR pile/hill/mountain*. The only difficulties I can see are...

need to use spoilers or not?

timeframe for International readers to receive and read book to be able to contribute

* delete as necessary

still, great idea :D

What I thought we could do is set a deadline for people to ask their questions - say a month from now? (Just for argument's sake.) Then Margaret can log in and answer the questions in one visit.

I've asked Margaret if she has the time to do this, so fingers crossed!