Sign in to follow this  
tagesmann

Nicholas Nickleby

I have been listening to an audiobook read by Wanda McCaddon. At first I wasn't to sure about the narator because I had previously listened to an excellent version of David Copperfield read by Frederick Davidson. However Ms McCaddon grew on me.

As for the story, well for a change there weren't any characters that I really disliked. And that is unusual for Dickens. He usually manages to have at least one annoying cloying person in his novels. In this case he didn't. Also, the villain of the piece was not black and white but had shades of grey making him less clichéd.

As for the story, well for a change there weren't any characters that I really disliked. And that is unusual for Dickens. He usually manages to have at least one annoying cloying person in his novels. In this case he didn't. Also, the villan of the piece was not black and white but had shades of grey making him less cliched.

Not even Wackford Squeers and his wife?

Not even Wackford Squeers and his wife?
I'd forgotten about them. They were just plain bad weren't they? I was thinking of Ralph Nickleby.

I remember this book mainly for one minor character: Smike (got to love how Dickens came up with names that matched character so well).  If there was a topic, "Most Pathetic Character in a Book", Smike would be it. Tragic to the end, he never had a chance, either for love or good health or wealth or smarts or even just being alive.

Recently finished reading this on audio. An amazing performance by David Horovitch managing to come up with a different voice for all the many characters. 

As for the story I found it a bit slow to begin with but as the story progressed I came to enjoy it and liked most of the characters. I thought Mr & Madame Mantalini fairly redundant characters. They did nothing for the story apart perhaps to show the kind of work Ralph Nickleby did. But that was demonstrated in other parts of the book.  The book was also too similar to Oliver Twist in the school/workhouse situation and the fact of Nicholas being befriended by the Cheeryble brothers while Oliver was befriended by Mr Brownlow. Perhaps a case of publishers pushing for something similar to the successful Oliver. 

The Cheeryble brothers were a brilliant invention, a pity more successful businessmen/women didn't treat their employees so well. The world would be a better place. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By lunababymoonchild
      I read the Wordsworth Classics version because it had illustrations and said that it was complete and unabridged. The phrase 'hear me out' was used quite a lot and I wondered if Dickens had actually written that.  It certainly seemed to jar with the other more formal prose.  I struggled a little bit with the more formal prose but I like to struggle with my reading so enjoyed it all the more. 

The story is the life and times of one Nicholas Nickelby.  Too long to even surmise here and anyway it's well enough known.  The characters (and their names!) were flawless and the story also so.  It had a cast of thousands but I didn't need to write them down in order to feel I knew them and their respective roles. 

My copy was very long, some 769 pages so it's a time investment, but one worth making, imho.

Recommended.
    • By Carly
      This is my favourite of Dickens' novels, it's so complex. It's long but if you're thinking of reading Dickens for the first time I don't think you can really go wrong with this novel. The story is complex and intriguing. It's maybe a bit predictable to the modern reader, but at the time readers would have been on tenterhooks, especially as it was published episodically!

I do think the main narrator, Esther is a bit of an old priss, but it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the book. What do other people think? Do you think Esther is a bit two faced or just a wet rag?!
    • By Claire
      I know that Dickens is one of the big names of English literature and all that - but whenever he comes up in conversation the only response I hear is people saying, "I know he's supposed to be good.....but I find him really, really hard going"

I'd love to hear from those who do genuinely enjoy reading him. What are the rest of us missing out on? Why is he such a good read?

Have tastes changed, so he's temporarily out of favour? Anyone else struggle with him?

I tend to get stuck after a couple of pages and give up, I'm afraid. Though somehow, I made it all the way through "Great Expectations" and I really enjoyed it - especially the first half with the convict and the moorland and the grave yard. It was wonderful stuff - so why do I struggle with the rest of his novels so much?
    • By David
      Restored Thread

#1 17th September 2006, 10:32 PM
      Phoebus

I'm going to start reading Little Dorritt in about six weeks. Is anyone interested in reading it with me?

Phoebus

Post Script: Have just realised that I've already asked this in another post but never got around to starting it with anyone...

#2 19th September 2006, 07:01 PM
      Barblue

I am on a Dickens trip at the moment. After getting involved with the Great Expectations thread I feel totally immersed in it. Added to this my local reading group has decided to read Hard Times over the next few weeks. I have also promised myself I will go back to The Old Curiosity Shop if only to look at Nell following some comments made by David recently.

I have never read Little Dorritt but would love to. Provided I can find the time in a few weeks, I will start to read it and watch for any further comments on this thread.

#3 21st September 2006, 06:41 PM
      Phoebus

Thank you Barblue. I'll look forward to reading this with you. Let me know when you're thinking of starting it about two weeks before and I'll try and pace myself to finish the books that I'll be reading in time. PM as well just to make sure that I see your post.

All the best,

Phoebus

#4 1st November 2006, 07:57 AM
      Barblue

You know Phoebus, I really do intend to read Little Dorrit just as soon as I can, but somehow a lot of other books have got in the way lately. I have two reading group reads, one of which is Middlemarch - slightly time consuming - and also some other reads I have committed myself to for various reasons. It looks, at this moment in time, as if I will be making Little Dorrit a New Year's Resolution. Not sure if you want to wait that long, but I thought it only fair to let you know my situation. Many apologies for my tardiness. Barblue

#5 5th November 2006, 12:10 PM
      Phoebus
      No worries Barblue. I've lot of other reads to ge through. Ready when you are !

Phoebus

#6 5th January 2007, 08:13 PM
      Phoebus

I've been moving house in the last couple of weeks so haven't had much time for reading and posting. I started Little Dorrit on New Year's Day and having read a couple hundred pages, I'm loving it. I'll keep you all informed.

Phoebus

#7 5th January 2007, 08:45 PM
      Mungus

Well done, Phoebus. There seems to be a general groundswell of good vibes towards Dickens on the forum at the moment so I'm sure someone will join you soon, especially if you are able to tempt us with an effusive review.

#8 Yesterday, 07:46 PM
      Barblue

Phoebus, I am so sorry that I have not joined you on this exercise. I will try and start it this week, but can't promise anything. Great to know that you are enjoying it though and like Mungus I will be delighted to hear more of your comments in due course.