The Children's War - J.N. Stroyar

Just RY

Amazon - The Children's War

Just finished this mammoth book - about 1200 pages. This was Stroyar's debut novel - and I thoroughly enjoyed it, and happy to pass on my recommendation.

Amazon's description:

Bad papers. That's how Peter's nightmare began. Living in contemporary Europe under Nazi domination -- more than fifty years after the truce among the North American Union, the Third Reich, and the Soviet Union -- Peter has struggled to make sense of the reign of terror that governs his world. Now, arrested for bearing a false identity, he is pulled full-force into a battle against Nazi oppression. The crusade for freedom that belonged to generations past is now Peter's legacy -- and his future depends not on running away, but on fighting back.

Escaping a Nazi prison camp and joining the Underground Home Army, Peter dedicates himself to breaking down the system that betrayed him. But by facing the evil at the heart of the Nazi political machine, Peter falls deeper into a web of intrigue and adventure that risks everything he holds dear -- in this life and for the sake of future generations.

A disturbingly real vision of what could have been, The Children's War is a page-turning epic thriller with a mesmerizing premise and an unforgettable cast of characters. J.N. Stroyar's searingly authentic, impassioned vision of human triumph over the forces of corruption and cruelty stands as a powerful tribute to the millions who have sacrificed and died in the name of freedom.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The sequel is called "A Change Of Regime" - just a mere 600 pages tho' ;)

I am very tempted to purchase it immediately, but seems a little steep at $28 for a paperback - ouch! May wait a month or two and hope it comes down a bit. I am most certainly adding it to my wish list, and looking to reading it.

Hope you enjoy The Chlidren's war RR - it's a good un.

• 3 months later...

I forgot about this thread...

It's a month or more since I finished this but I have to say it was a magnificent book. I still think about it most days despite having read a further 6 since then.

Not just the descriptions of the brutality meted out to Peter, and the thrilling story that develops, but the superb insight into what drives our reactions in intense and difficult times of our personal relationships. Very deep, yet never tedious.

Well look, I couldn't possibly do it justice, but believe me, this book is a stunner.

I command you to read it!!!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

RR, my copy arrived today! At last. I must say, sizewise it's very impressive. Reading the blurb on the back, it sounds good too. I'm two-thirds way through another book at the moment and this looks like one to savour so I may just wait until January(I've waited this long alredy), then snuggle down and enjoy. Good to hear MFJ is enjoying it also. I am really looking forward to it.

(I would say though, that whilst it is a fantastic read, and an uplifting story in so many ways, parts of it were so harrowing that I wouldn't really call it a "snuggle down with" type of book!)

Damn' right, RR! I'm only up to page 240, so I guess there's plenty more harrowing to come...

I have to say, this has (so far) been the most enjoyable book I've read since the fifth volume of the Dark Tower saga. My daily commute goes by in a flash. It's not just the story (which is certainly gripping), but the way in which it's told. Amazing to think this is Ms Stroyar's first novel.

• 1 year later...