The Children's War - J.N. Stroyar

Amazon - The Children's War

Just finished this mammoth book - about 1200 pages. This was Stroyar's debut novel - and I thoroughly enjoyed it, and happy to pass on my recommendation.

Amazon's description:

Bad papers. That's how Peter's nightmare began. Living in contemporary Europe under Nazi domination -- more than fifty years after the truce among the North American Union, the Third Reich, and the Soviet Union -- Peter has struggled to make sense of the reign of terror that governs his world. Now, arrested for bearing a false identity, he is pulled full-force into a battle against Nazi oppression. The crusade for freedom that belonged to generations past is now Peter's legacy -- and his future depends not on running away, but on fighting back.

Escaping a Nazi prison camp and joining the Underground Home Army, Peter dedicates himself to breaking down the system that betrayed him. But by facing the evil at the heart of the Nazi political machine, Peter falls deeper into a web of intrigue and adventure that risks everything he holds dear -- in this life and for the sake of future generations.

A disturbingly real vision of what could have been, The Children's War is a page-turning epic thriller with a mesmerizing premise and an unforgettable cast of characters. J.N. Stroyar's searingly authentic, impassioned vision of human triumph over the forces of corruption and cruelty stands as a powerful tribute to the millions who have sacrificed and died in the name of freedom.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The sequel is called "A Change Of Regime" - just a mere 600 pages tho' ;)

I am very tempted to purchase it immediately, but seems a little steep at $28 for a paperback - ouch! May wait a month or two and hope it comes down a bit. I am most certainly adding it to my wish list, and looking to reading it.

Hope you enjoy The Chlidren's war RR - it's a good un.

• 3 months later...

I forgot about this thread...

It's a month or more since I finished this but I have to say it was a magnificent book. I still think about it most days despite having read a further 6 since then.

Not just the descriptions of the brutality meted out to Peter, and the thrilling story that develops, but the superb insight into what drives our reactions in intense and difficult times of our personal relationships. Very deep, yet never tedious.

Well look, I couldn't possibly do it justice, but believe me, this book is a stunner.

I command you to read it!!!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

RR, my copy arrived today! At last. I must say, sizewise it's very impressive. Reading the blurb on the back, it sounds good too. I'm two-thirds way through another book at the moment and this looks like one to savour so I may just wait until January(I've waited this long alredy), then snuggle down and enjoy. Good to hear MFJ is enjoying it also. I am really looking forward to it.

(I would say though, that whilst it is a fantastic read, and an uplifting story in so many ways, parts of it were so harrowing that I wouldn't really call it a "snuggle down with" type of book!)

Damn' right, RR! I'm only up to page 240, so I guess there's plenty more harrowing to come...

I have to say, this has (so far) been the most enjoyable book I've read since the fifth volume of the Dark Tower saga. My daily commute goes by in a flash. It's not just the story (which is certainly gripping), but the way in which it's told. Amazing to think this is Ms Stroyar's first novel.

• 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Adrian
      I'll clean this up later (rescued after 'The Crash', still waiting to be tidied up)

• By Momo
      As we have been discussing this in other threads, I thought it might be a good idea to see how many people have actually read the book. I am sure this is a book that nobody here would have found and read if it wasn't for BGO.

Just RY suggested it and Royal Rother took it up. I have gone through the threads and noted the ones that I found plus the ones that mentioned their names in this thread. I will add all the members who read it to this posting.

According to the thread, I found the following members who read it already:
      elfstar
      gerbooks
      Hazel
      jebbie74's husband
      Jen formerly known as Mungus - and her brother
      Just RY – and his mother
      katrina
      Krey20
      Lady Lazarus
      MarkC
      megustaleer
      Momo - and her husband and a friend
      My Friend Jack
      Royal Rother
      Tess
      The Rouge

And these members have the book on their TBR pile:
      Adrian
      Barblue
      Billybob
      FirelightSpirit
      gg106
      LesleyMP
      lipstick_librarian
      meg’s son
      Paul (the before-crash-Paul)
      Radders
      Tagesmann
      Viccie

If you want to comment to the book go to the thread of The Children's War or The Children's War - Spoilers in Here! or A Change of Regime
    • By megustaleer
      Rescued thread: It'll look a bit odd, but I found it cached in good Old Google

megustaleer

The Children's War - Spoilers in Here
      This thread is for members to discuss plot/characters etc of The Children's War without having to hide the 'spoilers'

Do not read this thread unless you have finished the book, or do not mind having the plot details revealed.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

22nd August 2006, 10:01 PM

Momo
      Subscriber and Permanent Resident

Thanks, Meg, for opening this. You might not read it for a while because you mentioned you hadn't finished it. But I think it is a great opportunity to actually discuss the book rather than telling each other just how great it is. Which it is.
      Just to start:
      Some people mentioned in the other thread that they didn't like Zosia. At first, I didn't know what to think about her. Like when she said she only wanted to marry Adam if she knew he could father a child. I thought, what a strange idea. But I did understand her motives in the end and also cannot really criticize her for the way she was.
      What do others think?
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23rd August 2006, 10:12 AM

Hazel
      Subscriber and Resident

I still don't really like Zosia, even after reading the follow-up A Change of Regime, which just compounded my reasons for not liking her. I think in some ways she was just as bad as the people she was fighting, in her ability to cold-heartedly use and abuse people. I certainly didn't see her as some sort of hero/freedom-fighter.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23rd August 2006, 10:26 AM

Royal Rother
      Founder Member

I really think Zosia needs to be judged in the context of her role in life. She could not possibly be a cold professional killer, a freedom fighter, a leader of a bunch of people facing persecution, danger and possibly death every moment of her / their lives, and yet also be a normal and stable person able to engage in straightforward relationships.

Although she was difficult to warm to much of the time, there were spells when she was soft, loving and supportive, but for me, showing the contrast in her character made her all the more real.

To have shown her as the hard-nosed freedom fighter / cold-hearted killer part of the time, and then a relatively normal lady the rest of the time would have been more comfortable to read but would have taken a massive amount away from the book for me.

The way Stroyar built the characters was magnificent and the contrasts in their behaviour was very real, as opposed to a normal work of fiction where charcaters generally follow a set of rules, and is part of the reason why this novel should be ranked up among the classics in years to come. (To me, as much as anything, the book was a wonderful study in human behaviour, and I got as much out of the way the various relationships unfolded as I did from the main storyline.)
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23rd August 2006, 10:34 AM

Momo

That wouldn't have been normal, either. You always have to see people with their background. Of course, you can always say that fighting is wrong, no matter what the cause is. But I think when you degrade people to the kind of subhuman beings they are degraded inthis book (and were degraded during the Nazi regime), you begin to be either a fighter or you give up. It's like in wildlife, fight or get killed, be a predator or its prey. Zosia didn't even decide for herself what she wanted to be, it was decided for her by her parents. As it was decided for so many other people just by their birth or the place they happened to be in at a certain time.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23rd August 2006, 01:31 PM

Hazel
      Subscriber and Resident

I do agree with you RR in some sense, but for me the characterisation of everyone else was so spot on that Zosia's just jarred. I found her swings from cold hearted killer, to soft, and loving too much of a swing. It's hard to fully explain because a lot of what I judge her by features in ACOR, but compared to Ryksard (who ultimately is my favourite character) who was not so black and white, and had a truly tortured soul, Zosia just didn't grab me at all. I think Zosia did what she wanted most of the time and to hell with anyone else, and she used her feminity, and used other's feelings to manipulate events to the way she wanted them. I much preferred the 'greyness' of Ryksard and Peter.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23rd August 2006, 01:39 PM

Momo

True, they were the "nicer" guys, though they did their bits of killing as required. Of course, I haven't read ACOR, yet, since I'm still waiting for the copy to arrive, should be here soon, though. Maybe we should start another thread on that one once more people have read it.
      Anyway, I thought it was interesting to see how someone who grew up with this relates to his (or in this case her) environment. The trouble is, women had to fight harder at all times to get a place in society, no matter when and where. And they are always (were and still are) judged much more harshly than men - especially by their own sex. Don't you think? I grew up with lots of boys around me because I have three brothers, went to a school that had been an all-boys school until three years before I joined, the children in the neighbourhood were mostly boys, especially those my age. I found it hard to make "girl" friends at first and still wouldn't enjoy working in an all-girls working place. My best friend from school had six brothers and one sister, I think we liked each other because of our boy-ness. What I want to say is, you grow to be more male if you are in a male-dominated environment (which is certainly the case with Zosia) but you are not allowed to get too male!
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23rd August 2006, 02:18 PM

Royal Rother
      Founder Member

Where did you grow up Momo? Sounds like there was something in the water....!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23rd August 2006, 04:09 PM

Momo

In the northern part of Germany, Lower Saxony, between Bremen and Osnabrueck ...

23rd August 2006, 04:15 PM

Hazel
      Subscriber and Resident

But Zosia certainly knew how to re-feminise herself when it was required, and she didn't always use that to an unselfish end. That was my main problem with her.

23rd August 2006, 09:33 PM

Momo

I can see why you didn't like her or why anybody might not like her. I just try to see her from another side. We all have different experiences and there are certainly situations where everyone of us would have reacted completely different.
      I don't want to say that she would be my best friend in real life. I didn't like the way she sent Peter away, I just couldn't believe it. Again, I understood her reason. The trouble with the two of them was that they had so many issues without each other and that they couldn't help the other one. Usually, in an ideal partnership, when you have a problem, the other one is there for you. These two both needed someone to pull them out of their misery. They couldn't be there for each other because they were too involved with their own problems to look after the other. Only when they started to see this did they start to grow together.