Sign in to follow this  
Squirls

The Hall of Shame

I'm afraid I find that I and my colleagues spend quite a lot of time thinking about one another. If you're not hearing the office gossip, it's because it's about you.
At least if they are talking about me the are leaving some other poor soul alone, and I care little for the opinions of such purveyors of tittle tattle.

...and I care little for the opinions of such purveyors of tittle tattle.

Fair enough, but some people care quite a lot for such tittle tattle. And sometimes their opinions can have a great deal of impact on you. Therefore, IMO, it's quite foolish to ignore such opinions.

"Et tu, Brute?"

Guest Ian

Reading certain books in public view may seem to bring a more favourable opinion of you, but what would those people think if they knew that the same person spent most of their other leisure time watching Big Brother.

Live a lie in your professional life - that's a personal choice - but you cannot hide the truth forever.

I rest my case.

I don't normally read all the threads but this was riveting in places

I love the bible debate and the "do people really think about you based on the book you read?"

A couple of weeks ago I was coming back from London on the train and I was a bit tipsy (hen do!) so I didn't read as it made my head swim a bit. Anyway whilst gazing out the window I heard this guy from NZ saying to a girls from Oz

"I find that the British don't like to talk, they sit hiding behind books, pretending to read when really it's just so they don't have to be seen as rude when they don't talk to you."

he then went on to say British Women wouldn't help him when he need directions that they clutched their bags and hurried off.

Sadly I got annoyed and put him in his place. Pointing out that the 5 women he had asked for directions were not the total populace of Britain and that although he may not be able to enjoy a book - perhaps not even read hence the direction problems) that some of us were reading books because we happened to love books and liked to fill any time we had with a good book for company.

I may also have sworn in the comment - but that's not the point

If you can't be true to yourself at work, are you in the right job? I wouldn't mind betting your employers, customers etc would be happy to know the "real" you.

I think it's a tough barrier to overcome for some people, showing people the "real you" and letting them into your life. Probably mostly those with self esteem issues. And although I think that everyone has self esteem issues to a certain degree, to do with different things personal to them, I think a lot of people overcome them. It takes courage but is worthwhile in the long run. And I agree that being in a job you enjoy enough to relax and show your true colours helps. Too much office politics would drive anyone into their shell.

Well, I cut through this thread like a hot knife through butter.

I had no idea there was such a thing as judging people on the books/material that they read. It's never occurred to me. I'm always interested in what other people are reading but that's only because I'm nosy and only once has anybody ever taken the slightest bit of notice of what I was reading - and he decided that it was entirely appropriate for the time of year. Then again, I read in private most of the time.

So the answer to the original question is : no, there are no books that I'd be ashamed to admit that I owned or read.

....And travelling to or from work on public transport is also, sometimes, a case of being on show. Pick the wrong book and you risk people thinking you are shallow, pretentious, intellectual, boring, sad, pervy or a whole host of unhelpful things.....

This is one of the advantages of using an electronic reader, Dostoyevsky or James Herriot ? They don't know.