Sign in to follow this  
jellyfish

The 19th Wife

i am about halfway through this book and am finding it a very interesting read, an insight into a way of life of which i know very little about but have been fascinated by.

has anyone read Ann Eliza Young's original memoir 'Wife no. 19?'

i am about halfway through this book and am finding it a very interesting read, an insight into a way of life of which i know very little about but have been fascinated by.

has anyone read Ann Eliza Young's original memoir 'Wife no. 19?'

I haven't read the original memoir. This was a choice for my RL bookgroup, which I bought and then found I couldn't make the date (Doh!), but decided to read anyway as I had lost the receipt (Double doh!).

I read this in a couple of days. It is a fantastic page-turner, whodunnit, beach read recommended. It isn't high literature, but it is good at what it does. It reminded me a bit of a mormon-styley Kate Mosse - that sounds like I am looking down my nose from a great height, but it's not meant to - I couldn't put it down!!!

Z

I read this over a series of bus journeys and enjoyed it - I thought there was another thread somewhere as I'm sure I said something about it before but I could be wrong.

I did however prefer the past story to the modern thread. I just found it more detailed and slipped into it a lot quicker.

My mum loved this and passed it too me, I thought it was ok but definitely a holiday read for me, something that will quickly pass from the memory.

Ann Eliza's story was really interesting and I would have like to have read more about her story and not have the modern example. While I liked Jordan and his friends, his tale worked out all very convenient and was definitely airport reading.

I would be interested in reading more about Mormons and societies in which polygamous marriages exist but maybe through non fiction