Sign in to follow this  
halloween_john

Films with no love interest?

I can’t think of many. Even those few with no definite romantic element still have a bit of boy/girl chemistry involved.
Not seen it (all), but would The Hunt For Red October count?

Not seen it (all), but would The Hunt For Red October count?
I don't know, the submarine's a bit phallic...

Rambo - first blood

Apocalypse Now

Full Metal Jacket.

Leon

Papillon

The Great Escape

Schindler's List

Terminator 2

Billy Elliot

The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner

Kes

The salient words in the title of this thread "love interest" and the original post "romance" leave a lot to be defined. There is a literary critic who believes that romance is at the heart of all plots, regardless of genre (I wish I could remember his name right now). I think by widening the frame of what we know by stereotypical romance, I think you'd be hard pushed to find any story, film, or book that couldn't be boiled down to romantic/attraction (other than sexual) elements. Let's have a try with Squirls list -

Rambo - first blood - Hmmm, a hard one, but Rambo and his old captain?

Apocalypse Now - definitely between Kurtz and Willard - or even Hicks.

Full Metal Jacket - 'band of brothers' kind of love - or even "me love you long time" ;)

Leon - oh easy - between Leon and Portman's character

Papillon - between Charriere and Dega? Or the men and freedom?

The Great Escape - band of brothers - plus the men and escape/freedom

Schindler's List - Schindler and the people he frees

Terminator 2 - argh...ehm...Schwarzenegger and Furlong?

Billy Elliot - easy, Billy and dancing

The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner - never seen it

Kes - one boy and his bird.

And back to Stewart's suggestion, well, I still maintain that the men in the sub can't help but think that they are in a large...;)

Sorry, I may be taking the original post too seriously!

Sorry, I may be taking the original post too seriously!

Perhaps too broadly! I know what you mean, Hazel, and you're right, but essentially that's asking if we can find a film that contains no connections between people and no human passions. I'd suggest that would be a very boring film and consequently hasn't been made! ;)

(And we all know the Americans suffered from severe submarine-envy in The Hunt for Red October...)

There's also Billy's gay friend in Billy Elliot, just in case we decide another human ought to be involved!

Perhaps too broadly!
:D Ah, I was just messing. I know the critic that maintained the 'romance' element in every story was criticised for being too broad. I think he was boiling Propp down to basic elements - hero has a quest to obtain a prize helping princess along the way - and that between hero and prize/princess was the romance. You could easily adapt that to anything.

Perhaps too broadly! I know what you mean, Hazel, and you're right, but essentially that's asking if we can find a film that contains no connections between people and no human passions. I'd suggest that would be a very boring film and consequently hasn't been made! ;)

You are so wrong, David. Just watch Robinson In Space - if you dare...

For me, one of the most remarkable films I have seen is Red Road. That is a film that is 100% about love. There is no other subject matter. Yet there is not one scene in the film in which love is actually shown.

Please, if you do nothing else this year, watch Red Road.

south park - bigger longer uncut?

40 year old virgin (not seen it but sex does not equal love. ask any asexual)

grapes of wrath? (the book does but that bit was missing from the movie)

I'd suggest that would be a very boring film and consequently hasn't been made!

You are so wrong, David. Just watch Robinson In Space.

I looked it up on IMDB and interestingly the main page had this comment:

Many have described this film as egocentric and boring, and I can see why.

So presumably I was wrong about it not having been made?

I'd have to watch it, obviously, but documentaries are a little different.

I'd have to watch it, obviously, but documentaries are a little different.

It's not a documentary - it's performance art. A reviewer on IMDB (not me) has written:

I caught this film on french satellite TV after being woke rather too early. it was my intent to go back to bed but this film had me hooked and I just had to watch to the end. Robinson dan l'espace it said on the epg and so I searched for and found the DVD and the earlier film London as a box set.

I can only tell you how this film held me gripped in fascination the film has a hypnotic quality that resonates. It is strange unlike anything I had ever seen before. I wanted to be able to stop the film and call my friends and share this experience with them. The Narrators comments revealed hidden secrets to a country I grew up in. Some places I had visited in the past as I travelled the country as a contractor most were a revelation.

This is not my kind of film. It is something I would not choose to watch but I felt like I should be making notes, investigating further. I missed the beginning and desperately want to see the whole film. Most of my friends are not native to this island and this film is something I know we will watch together repeatedly. It is a film that inspires it's not a tourist board view of England It's like the most intense briefing you could have of a country. I would be fascinated to see similar films made within different countries.

This film definitely has a wow factor that deserves a bigger audience. The only disappointment is that the DVD versions I have found do not have subtitles in any language which seems to be poor judgement on the part of the publishers.

It's not a documentary - it's performance art.

Hmmm, well IMDB doesn't entirely agree:

IMDB Entry

It's classified as a documentary, though obviously it has artistic leanings! ;)

Still, forgetting the finer points of precise classification the only actor is Paul Scofield who narrates, so it's not really telling the sort of story that I was thinking about. My fault for not being clear enough about what I meant by 'film'!

David - I'm sorry for labouring the point, but it is a particularly pertinent point. Robinson In Space is a film - it's not a documentary. It is a very unusual film, but that's why it fits this thread so well. It genuinely has no connection between people (unless you count the handcuffs) and no human passions. Some people think the film is boring; some people think it's hypnotic. I guess some people might think it is both. But it very definitely has been made, I have it on video, and I love it.

David - I'm sorry for labouring the point, but it is a particularly pertinent point.

Well I'll just try to make it clear again, then, that I was referring to films with actors that tell narrative stories. Not documentaries or performance art.

Robinson In Space is a film as most people understand the concept. It is, as I say, an unusual one. Paul Scofield is an actor. There is a plot of sorts.

David, you should watch it before you categorize it - you strike me as the sort of chap who might actually enjoy the experience.

Although if it were a toss up between this or Red Road, go for Red Road.

Robinson In Space is a film as most people understand the concept. It is, as I say, an unusual one. Paul Scofield is an actor. There is a plot of sorts.

It sounds very distinctive, but reading around several online reviews it seems to be described most often in terms such as 'film essay', involving many elements including documentary, acting and artistic use of static images. I'm not saying it can't be classified as a 'film', just that this is not the sort of film I was referring to.

David, you should watch it before you categorize it - you strike me as the sort of chap who might actually enjoy the experience.

I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy it either. It's just not the sort of film I was referring to. I should add that I'm not trying to categorise it since I haven't seen it - I was simply going from the entry on IMDB.

The original question was about whether there are films that don't have romantic chemistry, so naturally I was thinking about films that develop stories with various characters who unfold a narrative of things that happen between them that develop during the course of the film. This appears to be a film in which the narrating character moves around Britain and we see various scenes that illustrate the sort of place Britain is. It's a very different sort of experience. But yes, it's still a 'film' - it's just not the type of film I meant. My apologies again for not being clear enough about that.

grapes of wrath? (the book does but that bit was missing from the movie)
You're right there - but: there's still "Roshasharn" and her hubby Connie.

By the way - tough topic, I'll think about it.

Rambo - first blood

Apocalypse Now

Full Metal Jacket.

Yeah, I guess most films that rely on 'war' as a theme probably don't have much of a love interest element. I was going to say 'prison films' too, but I recently saw Mean Machine and they seemed to feel the need to crowbar in a female parole officer (I think she was) to flutter her eyelashes at Vinnie Jones.

Leon

Hmm, interesting choice. I think there's definitely some sort of feelings going on between Leon and Natalie Portman's character. He felt towards her in a fatherly way whereas I think she was a little too worldly wise for her own good. I seem to remember reading at the time of its release that there was a scene cut from the final version where the girl 'offers' herself to Leon (naturally her turns her down). Probably it was for the best it was cut.

Kes

I think the boy loved his bird (I mean in the healthy way we all like our pets).

How about The day the earth stood still or Assault on precinct 13 ? (I am referring to the originals, not the remakes which I haven't seen).