Live Music Plans?

iff

my first gig of 2014 is next week being chvrches.

also at the end of may, i am going to see camera obscura

musicians - scotland's 3rd biggest export :D

also early in may, i am going to michael franti which will be the 4th time i will see him.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got tickets for Rufus Wainwright at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane in April.  I can't wait, he's my favourite live performer ever, I think this is the 16th time I'll have seen him.  Then in May it's London again to see Janelle Monae at Brixton Academy which promises to be a real treat.  Shame these people can't come and perform nearer to my house!

I'm also going to the cinema on Tuesday to see 'Tales of Us' from Goldfrapp, which is a screening of the mini-films they made to accompany their most recent album, followed by some streamed liver performance.  Not sure how it's going to work but at least I get to sit in a nice comfy chair and have a glass of wine while watching! 

oh i like goldfrapp, jen :)

... and numbers 1 and 2 are ...?

I think one of your best musical exports was Runrig. Whatever happened to them?

whiskey and oil according to an article the irish times took from the financial times that i had read an hour before posting :D

on a lingustic front, whiskey (uisce beatha) translates from the gaelige origins  of the word to be "water of life" which if you translate the norweigian drink of aquavit to english, you have the same "water of life" :)

according to wikipedia, runrig are still going

according to wikipedia, runrig are still going

ahh ... yes, thanks iff.  I still need to be reminded that I can google things.  :dunce:  For so many years our connections were so intermittent I never had the luxury of staying connected long enough to 'explore'.

• 8 months later...

It looks likely that 2014 will be the first year since 1983 that I have not paid to see any live music.

for me, it has been only 5 gigs this year, i think partly by reduction of days at work (so 40 percent less hours at work means 40 percent less money) but i think the main reason being not enough good acts playing here, this will be my first since may

though i would imagine if i got a job in dublin, i'd go to more gigs as it would be easier for me to do so.

In my case, it is simply that a baby, late nights and the increasing cost of attending gigs don't mix well.

Decided it's age in my case. Last paid gig I went to was The Stone Roses at Heaton Park.

Small unpaid venues have seen some great blues, jazz, rock, pop etc.

• 5 months later...

no gigs since la roux but i have 3 coming up. june is soak, july is st. vincent and august is sufjan stevens.

the tickets for sufjan stevens were sold out for his 2 dates on ticketmaster when i got on (per a music forum, in 15 minutes) but the venues allocation was still on sale when i got at 12 o'clock :) so i am very lucky in that regard

if only more people went to the venue's site, i'd have missed out.

• 1 month later...

As I've mentioned before, I grew up in Miami and have, naturally, been a Jimmy Buffett fan my entire life, especially his early songs, which evoke home for me more than almost anything else.  Despite this fact, I have never been successful at attending a Jimmy Buffett concert.  My older brother and I had plans to go in the late 70s (!!!) and the tickets were sold out.  Jimmy would make a visit to wherever I was living, but I either didn't have enough money or wasn't going to be in town on the dates of his concert.  It began to be a "thing" with me.  

This year, my daughter bought us tickets to the concert for our birthdays (which was more of a gift for me than for my husband).  The concert was last night and naturally, I was concerned, with our recent weather, that it would be raining buckets and either the show would be canceled or ruined.  But it didn't work out that way.  The weather was lovely--cool and clear.  The audience was, I have to say, almost exclusively old, fat, white people, divided among those who are fans of what I refer to as his "stupid songs" (identifiable by the fact that they were old, fat, and white and still ran around with not enough clothes on) and fans like me (identifiable by the fact that they sang along with his old songs--which I myself did).  My absolute favorite of his songs is "A Pirate Looks at 40" and when he started to play it, I realized that I had been worried the whole concert that I wouldn't get to hear it.  But I did and it was wonderful.  Very happy evening. 

As I've mentioned before, I grew up in Miami and have, naturally, been a Jimmy Buffett fan my entire life, especially his early songs, which evoke home for me more than almost anything else.  Despite this fact, I have never been successful at attending a Jimmy Buffett concert.  My older brother and I had plans to go in the late 70s (!!!) and the tickets were sold out.  Jimmy would make a visit to wherever I was living, but I either didn't have enough money or wasn't going to be in town on the dates of his concert.  It began to be a "thing" with me.  

This year, my daughter bought us tickets to the concert for our birthdays (which was more of a gift for me than for my husband).  The concert was last night and naturally, I was concerned, with our recent weather, that it would be raining buckets and either the show would be canceled or ruined.  But it didn't work out that way.  The weather was lovely--cool and clear.  The audience was, I have to say, almost exclusively old, fat, white people, divided among those who are fans of what I refer to as his "stupid songs" (identifiable by the fact that they were old, fat, and white and still ran around with not enough clothes on) and fans like me (identifiable by the fact that they sang along with his old songs--which I myself did).  My absolute favorite of his songs is "A Pirate Looks at 40" and when he started to play it, I realized that I had been worried the whole concert that I wouldn't get to hear it.  But I did and it was wonderful.  Very happy evening.

that would have been an outdoor concert?

those are the risks of outdoor gigs. This weekend was Slane Castle concert which is 20 miles from me and those who went got soaked. I didn't as I wasn't taken by the line-up

but the St. Vincent gig in July I think is outdoor so that is a risk of it

Yes, it was outdoors.  Normally, I would be worried about the heat, but it wasn't hot at all.  In fact, I was a little chilly and the woman next to me gave me her wrap.  What I was worried about this time was the rain, but it held off.  In fact, we've had lovely weather.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

only got tickets for 2 upcoming gigs and not yet any gigs this year so far

the two upcoming are marrissa nadler in 5 weeks time (which is more a reason to go to dublin as i've got itchy feet and my doc got no cure they can apart from me getting over my hypocondria ;) jk )

the other is going to see John Grant in July, Ane Brun is support act for him

• 3 months later...

on July 17th, I was at Longitude

it was very hot

first act I saw was Joseph from Portland, Oregon. I never heard of them before but their set had some real good things about, one it was in a tent at 3:15, could sit down on the grass with seeing the act themselves, it was in a tent so out of the sun and finally the other good thing being, it was in a tent out of the sun. the sun was suffocating at that time. Actually they were quite good, they were a band of 3 sisters with an acoustic nature. I enjoyed their 40 minute set. Really nice sound to them but I do like acoustic stuff. Looking at their facebook page, their label have a free sampler with one of their songs, my favourite one from their set "white flag" and songs from other acts on the same label (lisa hannigan, okkerville river so that's cool)

Next up was no avoiding the sun itself with Courtney Barnett on the main stage but rest assured, before that, I had an ice cream to stay cool. ;) Staying cool was important. To help this I went near the front, 4 or 5 rows back from the stage which was great. Actually by being that near the stage, you happened to be in the shade of the stage so that was good so you weren't quite in the sun. She started off with one of her best songs and ended with another "no one really cares if you don't go to the party". the song "Depreston" was a particular highlight of the set, not an album track I particularly liked but live, it was an excellent track and fitting. She was great, my favourite of the day.

Next up was the clash on the set with Christine & The Queens, this was at the second stage but the crowd was immense in the arena, had to stand on my tippy toes for a glimpse by the time I got over the bridge, security were restricting access on a one way basis on the bridge for safety purposes, by the time over it, there was 25 minutes left in her set and she was starting her exceptional song Tilted. She could have really done with being on the main stage for the crowd she got. I think the organisers underestimated her popularity. Before Sunday, I saw on her facebook page, she announced three UK dates in November with a day break between one and a two day break between another (with those 2 days on friday and saturday). I'm going to guess she is announcing an irish date pretty soon. With the choreography that is part of her set, she needs to play where the stage is visible to most people, not just a few tall people pushing their way forward

Then I saw Father John Misty, the first 15 minutes of the set were a bit slow but then he got in the flow with "chateau lobby #4" followed by "bored in the USA" then by my personal favourite song of his "holy ****", that got the flow going, his swagger in full force and the last 45 minutes were brilliant. I had seen him previously in October.

Next on my list was Perfume Genius, not someone I am terribly au fait with musically. He is ok but for me, my biggest memory of him is an interview he gave 2 years ago on 6music with lauren laverne and him saying he loves about touring is the food, when asked by lauren what he thought of uk food< he replied "we got in last night so all that was open was mcdonalds and then he goes on to say when he's in mcdonalds, he always asked for burger without pickle as they have to make it fresh. he is a genius in more ways than just perfume ;) it's funny how somethings stick in your mind. I never heard of him before that interview but because of that brief conversation, I remember him. His set was a mix of electro pop with his band which was ok but I did prefer the slower more tender tracks and then he finished it with a fine flow at the end with a few faster songs.

Next was Lucius who won by default as Jamie XX was on the main stage and Kurt Vile on the second stage. I did listen to a track on saturday night as I contemplated who to see between them or Kurt Vile. I liked these. I didn't actually know their name beforehand but some songs I had known like "born again teen" (an apt song for the crowd at the festival. Irish times review talks in jest about how the sun of the previous 2 days had aged the irish badly and appeared alot older on the sunday than friday or saturday :D the festival itself works more as 3 single day than a weekend thing, friday had a mix of acts headlined by kendrick lamar while saturday was major lazer headliner and a bunch of other acts I had no idea (as well as the headliner. It's not that I don't know new music, it's just that I don't know that new music. Saturday was a dance music day) about which was why I only went on Sunday)

The final act was The National who were very good though talking in the audience at times was very loud.

Though if I have a complaint, it is about the talking in the audience throughout the sets, even the national who as overall headliner, I thought they would be more respected by the audience. This was full conversations rather than an odd word here and there. Courtesy would be nice for other people. I think 3 people particularly followed me from being directly in front of me at Courtney Barnett where they were having a conversation (you are 3 to 4 rows back from Courtney, show her a little respect) to continue their conversation at Christine and the Queens where again somehow the same 3 people got directly in front of me.

on July 9th, I was also at John Grant

he had 2 support cts, Somerville, a new irish act. her sound was good though done with a backing track as it was just her on the stage.Room for improvement but sound reminds me kind of of I break Horses/ The Knife/ Sleep Thieves

and probably with full band, be alot more of an epic nature and fitting.

Ane Brun was the other support. A good set, good energy. She played for an hour giving and I liked it

However to put it all in perspective, John Grant was just super. Playing mainly tracks from Pale Green Ghosts and Grey Tickles, black pressure but a couple of tracks too from Queen of Denmark. Joined onstage for Glacier by Conor O'Brien of Villagers, it just was a resounding show with great song after great song.

The live version of No More Tangles from the latest album was brilliant, the drums on it (really i think drums are a live instrument, sure sound nice on cd but when it comes to live, they work great)

and for the most part, a respectful crowd, sure some talking but overall a good crowd.

-----

my next 2 music outings aren't until october unfortunately. on the 15th I have Michael Franti (who unfortunately clashes that same night with Polica while Richmond Fontaine is also playing Dublin that night so I had to make a choice. the choice was simple, Michael Franti announced it first so I already had the Michael Franti ticket)

the following thursday, I am going to Cate Le Bon