Live Music Plans?

iff

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All been a bit of a nostalgia fest recently. Saw The Wonder Stuff the weekend before last, next up are The Primitives on Thursday.

I have tickets to see Gogol Bordello, The Big Pink, The Chemical Brothers, UNKLE, Sigur Rós frontman Jonsi and Exit Calm (a tip for the top from me) in May, whilst in June I'll be seeing the mighty Pixies, Delays and going to the launch night of my pub quiz colleague John's record label.

Further ahead I've just got a ticket for the new LED Festival, where Leftfield, Goldfrapp, Friendly Fires and Aphex Twin will be appearing on the Saturday of the August Bank Holiday weekend.

Where are you seeing the Pixies, Gram? I could die happy if I got to see them again!
It was a very low key thing. They're playing a venue in east London called the Troxy. I got the tickets through this link but they're all gone, sadly. No word on if they're doing more shows along these lines or not.

This will be the fourth time I've seen them since the re-union/cash-in: at Brixton and Ally Pally and at V2004.

All been a bit of a nostalgia fest recently. Saw The Wonder Stuff the weekend before last, next up are The Primitives on Thursday.

I have tickets to see Gogol Bordello, The Big Pink, The Chemical Brothers, UNKLE, Sigur Rós frontman Jonsi and Exit Calm (a tip for the top from me) in May, whilst in June I'll be seeing the mighty Pixies, Delays and going to the launch night of my pub quiz colleague John's record label.

Further ahead I've just got a ticket for the new LED Festival, where Leftfield, Goldfrapp, Friendly Fires and Aphex Twin will be appearing on the Saturday of the August Bank Holiday weekend.

Gosh, I'd better plan to get some work done whilst on me tod :(

Off to see Joan Armatrading next Tuesday in Manchester.

Last month went to the Peter Gabriel orchestrated gig at the O2. I enjoyed it but my friends were very disapointed.

I was there last night also!!

Never been a big fan of hers, but hubby is.

Wasn't enthralled by some of the rocky numbers, but her rendition of 'The weakness in me' blew me away and made the evening.

What did you think of the support act?

Am going to see Kenny Rogers in June, followed by Blondie two nights later.

Wasn't enthralled by some of the rocky numbers, but her rendition of 'The weakness in me' blew me away and made the evening.

What did you think of the support act?

The 'Weakness' was the highlight for me as well, I've always loved that song. Reminds me of a certain lady!

I enjoyed the night and thought the new songs were good, would still have preferred more of the hits.

Thought the support act's songs had a tinge of Nanci Griffith about them. Was ok but would rather have had more of Joan or the gig finishing earlier. Must be getting old! :(

would rather have had more of Joan or the gig finishing earlier. Must be getting old! :(

My thoughts exactly when I walked in and saw an 11pm finish!! I'm not very good at going out on week nights.

The support act reminded me of Tracey Thorn (before Everything but the Girl)

jfp! At last, a fellow Rufus fan!!! I went to see the great man in Southampton on Sunday and I'm going to Birmingham next Tuesday and Bristol on Friday next week. Have you seen him before? I think Sunday was my 8th concert/gig (I'd go with concert) and it was quite different to the others. I don't want to spoil anything for you but would love to hear what you think.

His opera doesn't appeal to me and is not getting great reviews, but I admire his ambition!

Rufus occupies an odd place in my music life - where I really WANT to like him but I never really get over my issues with his diction. I just want him to enunciate!! Just a little !!!! :) I like his sister Martha though...

Rufus occupies an odd place in my music life - where I really WANT to like him but I never really get over my issues with his diction. I just want him to enunciate!! Just a little !!!! :) I like his sister Martha though...
I struggle with Martha, she just seems so earnest. She sang Stormy Weather at the Judy Garland concert I saw which is the only time I saw her live and she just wrings the neck of every syllable... I've recently seen Rufus described as a "Marmite artist" which is an analogy I hate, as I can take or leave Marmite, but take in the spirit of the thing, I think is right. I once heard him say that he feels like he's won ever fan over one by one and that seems right to me.

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow going to see Blondie. Really looking forward to it. :D

Nice! I saw them at the Royal Albert Hall a few years ago and they were outstanding. I meant to catch the footage of their IOW festival performance, but I missed it thanks to my inability to channel hop during the football.

I'm going to see the Hold Steady next Tuesday. I'm not too fond of their new album, but as long as they play a few of their classics, I'll be happy.

• 1 month later...

i saw the australian band "cut copy" last night in dublin. they were good but i felt out of place. i'm not a big fan of theirs so the support of some others was really interesting

next week i have duckworth lewis method. which, for those unfamliar with them, it's a side project of neil hannon of divine comedy's. a friend of my mother's complemented the quality of the album when i was listening to it upstairs. the theme of the band is cricket

and then 5 months time, i have tickets for belle & sebastian in dublin. :D

i'm a big belle & sebastian fan so it's brilliant

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last night I saw Suzanne Vega in Cardiff, she was excellent :D. It's about 20 years since I've been to one of her concerts and I ended up wondering why I left it so long.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to see Redshift and various others at a one day electronic music "festival" at Liphook in Hampshire. Not quite on the same scale as Glastonbury though, it's being held in a village hall.

• 4 weeks later...

i got tickets for British Sea Power for for Dublin next February.

there not in the same category for me as next week's event Belle & Sebastian but i rate them extremely highly

i saw them previously in september 2008

i know it's cliched and i think it about most acts i listen to but i don't think bsp are listened to enough in ireland. i think in building an irish fan base, their name might be offputting