Live Music Plans?

Off to the opening weekend of the Bury St Edmunds Festival, and have tickets for the

concert at The Theatre Royal.

I'd never heard of them before getting the Festival programme, so I hope I like the whole show as much as I like that clip.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hubby has just gone off to see Spear Of Destiny for the second time this year. Once was enough for me................... :rolleyes:

Flippin heck - I didn't realise they were still going. I went watching them in 1984 at York Race Course.

• 2 weeks later...

last saturday i was at jape and valery francis in the button factory in dublin

my next gig is 19th june, halves in dublin then 29th michael franti & spearhead in dublin and 19th july neosupervital

Going to see Celtas Cortos in San Vicente de la Barquera, Spain on 11th July. Quck dash out for 24th hrs. Can't wait....

Hubby going to see Jarvis in Blackpool in a couple of weeks - can't be persuaded to go aswell, once this year enough for me.

Also booked to see The Cult at the Royal Albert Hall in Oct.

Completely failed to get tickets for the Enid last month but Tangerine Dream have announced a date at the Royal Albert Hall next April. I will be going. I live in hope that they will mark the 35th anniversary of their first performance there (which was broadcast live on BBC Radio 1 thanks largely to the efforts of John Peel) by digging out all the synthesizers from 1975.

I took my son and his buddies to watch Dream Theater at the O2 Academy in Leeds last night. Didn't fancy it myself - so me and hubby went off for something to eat while they were at the concert. I really like Leeds city centre, (especially in the warm sunshine). It's a really buzzing place.

Went to see Jeff Wayne's musical version of The War of the Worlds last night and it was fab! (how eighties am I?) Apart from the guy sitting directly in front of me with the ridiculous tin tin style quiff I enjoyed every last minute. Great effects, music, singing - everything. Had a really great time. Loved Alexis James as The Artilleryman - still not sure how he can sing that well and run at the same time. Wouldn't like to see his exercise regime.

This is what I've got coming up on the live music front:

Tuesday 16th June: Moby @ Royal Festival Hall - the only gig I'm going to from this year's Meltdown Festival programme. Perhaps not surprising given that the jazz of this year's curator Ornette Coleman is very much not my sort of thing.

Thursday 16th July: Bat For Lashes @ Somerset House - the courtyard of Somerset House is a remarkably civilised place to see outdoor shows. Natasha Khan and her all female band, now including ex-Ash guitarist Charlotte Hatherley, turned in an excellent set when I saw them at Shepherds Bush Empire in April, so definitely worth going to see again.

Monday 20th July: Clint Mansell and the Sonus Quartet @ Union Chapel - Mansell writes the scores for Darren Aronofsky's films and this is the first time they'll be performed live in the UK. He's come a long way from Stourbridge's second best band, Pop Will Eat Itself.

Monday 10th August: The National @ Royal Festival Hall - I love this band's last two records, "Alligator" and "Boxer", so very much that this could well be a live music highlight for the whole year.

Thursday 17th September: Massive Attack @ Brixton Academy - my umpteenth Massive gig, it feels like. Even though it is now a while since they released a truly superb record they can still pack quite a live punch.

Friday 25th September: Orbital @ Brixton Academy - given that the brothers Hartnoll were supposed to have gone their seperate ways a few years back, it is an unexpected pleasure to see them back on the road together.

Wednesday 21st October: Editors @ Hammersmith Apollo - they'll be promoting their third album. Personally, I hope they retain the energy of debut "The Back Room" rather than continue to up the bombast as they did in parts of follow up "An End Has A Start".

Friday 23rd October: Franz Ferdinand @ Brixton Academy: somehow I've got this far with never having seen Franz play live, whose early stuff I have rather a soft spot for.

Thursday 19th November: White Lies @ Brixton Academy: anyone who knows my taste in music would have known that I'd fall hook, line and sinker for this. No, it is not remotely original, but bring on the goth revival anyway!

Monday 15th June - Saw Clutch and Anthrax play 15 minute sets aboard the HMS Hammer in London. Then onto the Metal Hammer Golden Gods awards where I saw Saxon, Anvil, Devil Driver, Amon Amarth and Trivium.

Tuesday 16th June - Caught a fantastic Clutch gig in Portsmouth.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

As a general rule I stick to classical music concerts [I'm old, you see...], but on 3rd May me and a mate are going to see Rufus Wainwright's Paris concert [is it called a "gig"? I'm too old to know...]. (Or I think we are... the woman on the phone said there were no seats left, then I found two on-line, so waiting to see who was right...)

Quite looking forward to it... [and since my mate is slightly older than me, at least I won't be the oldest person there... ;)] and going to see Rufus's opera Prima Donna in London this evening...

As a general rule I stick to classical music concerts [I'm old, you see...], but on 3rd May me and a mate are going to see Rufus Wainwright's Paris concert [is it called a "gig"? I'm too old to know...]. (Or I think we are... the woman on the phone said there were no seats left, then I found two on-line, so waiting to see who was right...)

Quite looking forward to it... [and since my mate is slightly older than me, at least I won't be the oldest person there... ;)] and going to see Rufus's opera Prima Donna in London this evening...

jfp! At last, a fellow Rufus fan!!! I went to see the great man in Southampton on Sunday and I'm going to Birmingham next Tuesday and Bristol on Friday next week. Have you seen him before? I think Sunday was my 8th concert/gig (I'd go with concert) and it was quite different to the others. I don't want to spoil anything for you but would love to hear what you think.

His opera doesn't appeal to me and is not getting great reviews, but I admire his ambition!

No, never seen him before, Jen. I bought Want 1 when it came out, couldn't make up my mind about it, but shortly afterwards I met a friend of a friend, who's a Rufus freak, and my interest/curiosity was rekindled. Yesterday I bought his first album, and Want 2, and am looking forward to the concert.

Must admit I'm not overkeen at the thought of the opera, but I was to be passing through London and decided to give it a try.

I'll let you know what it's like (and the concert).

I heard him interviewed on Front Row on Radio 4 recently, and he's very articulate about lots of things.

I heard him interviewed on Front Row on Radio 4 recently, and he's very articulate about lots of things.
My husband isn't sold on Rufus' music but likes to see him live because he's just so charismatic, a rare thing in these days of stage school blandness.